Own Hammer - Mix IR's Mix Bundles - Modern/Vintage

Like a Bogner, Friedman, JCM: works with anything. v30, G12M, G12H, T75 EVM....

On that amp model (all versions of it) I prefer a mix of the G65-OR and T-75; take the Modern Studio version of either of those (or as Yek points out, anything appropriate what you'd put a Marshall through) and you'll find your 'thing' sooner than later.

wow! I just got these today....Ive only been able to mess around with a few of them but I have to say

The Jensen BlackBird IRs......holy shnikes!!! I think these are my do it all go to IRs for everything! They have such a nice feel...I love these! So balanced and smooth, very nice bottom. They sound amazing with everything! check them out.

Wow if theyre truly like this in real life I might just get a 1x12 with one....sounds beautiful!

Does anybody have any suggestions for the Carol Ann Trip Tik? That seems to be my favorite amp model. I have both the packs.

I ended up with an interesting combination that I like a lot for the TripTik, and also my Marshalls. I mix a CL-80 SS Studio-Modern and a CL-80 SS Live-Vintage 50/50. I normally prefer the T2 IR's but the SS version in this case provides some cut that I really liked.

If you try it let me know what you think.

Terry.

Thanks Scott,
I just purchased both bundles based on your recommendation. That was good enough for me !
Now, how do I actually load them into the user cab section of the Axe and use them?? :)
Doh !

Use Fractal-Bot.

Thanks Yek, you're a star, as always.
Can I ask, is Fractal Bot better than using Axe Edit?
So I just go to the Cab block, press Edit, and then use Fractal Bot to send the User IR rather than doing this through Axe Edit?

1. Currently you cannot use AE to transfer IRs from disk to the Axe-Fx.

2. No. Launch Fractal-Bot, click the SEND tab, load an IR from disk, click Send and select the user cab slot where you want the IR to land. Then on the Axe-Fx, or in AE, go to the Cab block and select that user cab slot you used in Fractal-Bot.

I ran through a bunch of amps last week with all of the "Median" mixes. I found a couple that stood out but nothing that replaced what I was using. Today I ran through the SS Studio Modern mixes on the Carol Ann Classic and there were only a couple that I *didn't* like. Lots of different flavors, but they really sounded good with that amp model. Too many to make a decision. :lol

Has anyone found a good amp match for the D-120? I never like the sound of that speaker with anything I've tried so far.

I bought the modern pack. What do you guys recommend for the USA Lead / IIC+ models? I'm hilariously bad at dialing in these things for recording purposes that any feedback would be great.

I bought the modern pack. What do you guys recommend for the USA Lead / IIC+ models? I'm hilariously bad at dialing in these things for recording purposes that any feedback would be great.

I would suggest the CL-80; works for me.

1. Currently you cannot use AE to transfer IRs from disk to the Axe-Fx.

Really? Is this with older versions of Axe-Edit and the Std/Ultra, or does this apply only to current versions of Axe-Edit and AFII? I have been using AE to load IR's to my Std.

Really? Is this with older versions of Axe-Edit and the Std/Ultra, or does this apply only to current versions of Axe-Edit and AFII? I have been using AE to load IR's to my Std.
Early versions of Axe-Edit will load IRs just fine on the Standard and Ultra. The program was rewritten for the Axe II, and not all of the functionality has been implemented yet.

The key is to read the manual (it's free to download on his site under the 'store' and 'mix packs' if you don't have it).

He basically uses different mic selections based on different purposes and techniques. For instance, the "Modern Studio" is a top producer's (not sure I can name him) preferred SM57/R121 mix. The tangible differences are detailed out; that might take some of the fog about what they are away if you read it.

I read the manual before I auditioned the IRs. The categories help organize the many files, but they really don't tell me anything about how they sound. I could read a thousand-page document describing the sound of a single IR, but it wouldn't do me any good. I'd have to listen to it to know what it sounds like.

I read the descriptions and tried to imagine what the IRs would sound like, but then I loaded them and knew exactly what they sounded like. I can still find no correlation between what I read and what I heard. To me, trying to verbally describe what an IR sounds like (or any sound in general) is an exercise in futility. But the files have to be organized and described in some fashion, and the manual does a decent job in that respect.

I read the manual before I auditioned the IRs. The categories help organize the many files, but they really don't tell me anything about how they sound. I could read a thousand-page document describing the sound of a single IR, but it wouldn't do me any good. I'd have to listen to it to know what it sounds like.I read the descriptions and tried to imagine what the IRs would sound like, but then I loaded them and knew exactly what they sounded like. I can still find no correlation between what I read and what I heard. To me, trying to verbally describe what an IR sounds like (or any sound in general) is an exercise in futility. But the files have to be organized and described in some fashion, and the manual does a decent job in that respect.
I agree totally; I am a proponent of "trust your ears" beyond anything and everything else. Nothing, and I mean nothing, replaces first hand actual in-person experience to learn and understand something.

I also mention that my opinion or any one else's for that matter, mean nothing. Try things for yourself and make your own conclusions. I look at others opinions as data points; I may or may not agree; but every opinion is valid. I present my opinions with no other expectation than to share how I experienced what I'm sharing.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom