Own Hammer - Mix IR's Mix Bundles - Modern/Vintage

Some suggestions for different amps I use; all in a stereo block, panned center and levels as noted:

Atomica High (or modern Marshall stuff ala Friedman/Cameron/etc): H-BB-55 T1 Studio Modern@0db/M-PR-55-T2 Live-Vintage@-3db
Bogner Cab (XTC/Shiva): H-BB-55 T1 Studio Modern@0db/V30CH T2 Live-Vintage@-3db
Plexi 50 Jump: H-PR-55 T2 Live-Vintage@-3db/M-BB-55 T2 Studio-Modern@0db
Plexi 100 Jump: H-PR-55 T1 Studio Modern@0db/M-BB-55 T2 Live Vintage@-3db
Vox AC30TB: Alnico-Silver T1 Studio-Modern@0db/Alico-Blue T2 Live-Vintage@-3db
DeluxeVerb: J12-CN T1 Studio-Modern@0db/J12-PR T2 Live-Vintage@-3db

Have fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey Scott - FWIW, I really dig your cab setup for the VOX tones. I actually use it with the Morgan Treble and it sounds fantastic.

Keep up the good work.

Friedman HBE with the Eternal love in front of it going into the OwnHammer_412_MAR-CB_G65-RI_T1_Median
sounds freaking amazing.
one of my new favorite 11.03 patches. Nice and crunchy abut razor sharp and clear. (not Uber gain here more Greg Howe-ish type of gain).
Really articulate

Really depends on the amp. On that particular amp, I use this: J12-CN T1 Studio Modern -3db/J12-PR T1 Live Vintage 0DB. Have fun... I do! I use the "Deluxe Verb" more than the Tweed, but I'm primarily a humbucker player that uses that juiced Deluxe thing for a LOT of country/rock/southern rock stuff. Main amp for P&W too. The Tweed also likes the J12-PQ and J12-CN so play around with different combinations till you hit the one that makes you go.... ooh! :eek: (*Note: I am VERY much looking forward to hearing what the open back 212 setup does to the Jensen speakers in the upcoming Mix collections from Kevin at Own Hammer. I have a feeling it'll be off the hook for this stuff).

Gotta be honest, always loved the Friedman amps in the Axe-FX. Always. Got to play the 'real deal' at the Amp Show in the Friedman room and it was extraordinary too. No IR's in the Axe-FX II or via third party "got" that 'thaing' that the real deal did at volume... until the OH IR's came out. Now? BOOM! I have had versions of these in beta for a while... and it was hard to contain my enthusiasm. That "thaing" is not only there, it's explosively good now with v.11. GOOD stuff!!!!!!!! Dave Friedman is a genius amp maker and these IR's truly, honestly... are like a good cold beer right out of the ice bucket on a hot summer's day. (*If a bikini model handed it to you... as she dropped her top and winked at you).**

**assuming you are not married. If you are, well, then imagination will have to do. Unless you have a REALLY kick-ass wife that still wears bikinis, hands you ice cold beer, drops her top and winks at you. ;)

Well, drinking beer will never be the same for me, Scott. Thanks for that idea.

wow I just dialed in a patch with the MarkIIc bright using the ENV30 T1 Studio Modern blended with the stock Cali 4x12 with the R121 in front of it and it sounds
huge :)

Some suggestions for different amps I use; all in a stereo block, panned center and levels as noted:

Atomica High (or modern Marshall stuff ala Friedman/Cameron/etc): H-BB-55 T1 Studio Modern@0db/M-PR-55-T2 Live-Vintage@-3db
Bogner Cab (XTC/Shiva): H-BB-55 T1 Studio Modern@0db/V30CH T2 Live-Vintage@-3db
Plexi 50 Jump: H-PR-55 T2 Live-Vintage@-3db/M-BB-55 T2 Studio-Modern@0db
Plexi 100 Jump: H-PR-55 T1 Studio Modern@0db/M-BB-55 T2 Live Vintage@-3db
Vox AC30TB: Alnico-Silver T1 Studio-Modern@0db/Alico-Blue T2 Live-Vintage@-3db
DeluxeVerb: J12-CN T1 Studio-Modern@0db/J12-PR T2 Live-Vintage@-3db

Have fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Alnico-Silver / Alnico-Blue combo sounds great with the Morgan too! Very crunchy & delicious!

I'm early in on these, but so far with Marshalls I'm digging the following, with most others sounding thinner compared to axe-fx stock 4x12 mix cabs:
CL-80
M-BB-55
The CH & EN V30's

No multi-cab mixing. I was looking for single cabs that had most body/punch/clarity in a mix.

Scott: What are you using for the "Herbert 2-" and the "Dizzy V4 2"?

Also, I am running through two speakers (stereo) so what would you suggest on how to pan the L/R settings to? I know you set your L/R settings at 0% since you are playing through one Atomic CLR.

Thanks for all the great info presented in this thread everyone! It is so interesting to copy one of the Axe factory default presets over to a new one then set the copied amp to Own Hammer cabs. When you go back and fourth between the two presets it is really an ear opener!

Scott: What are you using for the "Herbert 2-" and the "Dizzy V4 2"?

Also, I am running through two speakers (stereo) so what would you suggest on how to pan the L/R settings to? I know you set your L/R settings at 0% since you are playing through one Atomic CLR.

Thanks for all the great info presented in this thread everyone! It is so interesting to copy one of the Axe factory default presets over to a new one then set the copied amp to Own Hammer cabs. When you go back and fourth between the two presets it is really an ear opener!

I would go with something like the Vintage 30-Chinese Modern Studio and the G12H-BB-55 Vintage Live perhaps; or just mix a Sm57 at 0db/R121 at -6db of the Chinese Vintage 30 (best done, IMHO, panned center in each stereo cab block). Some combination of those in two "mixed" stereo cab blocks then panned left and right (*assuming you want stereo) will most likely give you a lot of what you'd need to crank those sorts of modern high gainers.

YMMV!

***SHOWN for example only. The other cab would have it's "balance" turned to +50 and appropriate cab IR's chosen. Note the IR's are panned center within the block so they are essentially 'mixed' together***

Last edited:
You rock Scott! Thanks so much!

I will give this a whirl. Us new people don't understand how to route multiple IR cabinets into two physical stereo cabinets.

I have heard so many good things about these but have been hesitant to buy them because I'm not much of a fan of 4 12 cabs, real or IRs. Has anyone else that is not into 4 12s found these IRs to be useful & work for them? I figure the vintage pac would be the best choice for clean Fender - Vox tones.

If anything these will more than likely egg you on to be a fan of the 4x12. However if you're that set against them, hang tight 'cause Kevin's next release is a 2x12... open back I believe. Not too sure but definitely a 2x12 is coming next.

I have heard so many good things about these but have been hesitant to buy them because I'm not much of a fan of 4 12 cabs, real or IRs. Has anyone else that is not into 4 12s found these IRs to be useful & work for them? I figure the vintage pac would be the best choice for clean Fender - Vox tones.

You'll just might be surprised. I was.

I am looking forward to his upcoming versions of these speakers in different cabs - including a 212. But the 412 CB with Fender's for instance? Sounds a LOT better than I would ever imagine.

If anything these will more than likely egg you on to be a fan of the 4x12. However if you're that set against them, hang tight 'cause Kevin's next release is a 2x12... open back I believe. Not too sure but definitely a 2x12 is coming next.

I'm not dead set against them. I use a couple factory 4 12s now but it's rare that I choose one over 1 or 2 12s. I read that he will be doing 1 12 & 2 12 IRs so I am looking forward to that!

I am looking forward to his upcoming versions of these speakers in different cabs - including a 212. But the 412 CB with Fender's for instance? Sounds a LOT better than I would ever imagine.

Yeah, sometimes a cab you would not expect to sound good does. You never know for sure until you try. Is the 412 CB you mention in the Vintage Pac? Is it better (to your ears) than what came stock in the Axe?

I'm taking a couple weeks off from my church gig. During that time, I'm going through & reorganizing all my presets, tweaking them, and discarding ones I don't use or like. Several patches had new life breathed into them by the OH stuff. I'm finding these to be the magic elixir for great tone. They're just that damn good! Whenever the 2x12 cabs are ready, they'll be on my computer.

I'm almost to the point where the Plexi 100 High through the OH Marhsall 4x12 w/ M55 PR speakers (T1 Median Mix) is all I need to gig...period. But, that would make life too boring!

I'm looking forward to the 2x12 IR's too mainly just for variety. There just aren't as many 2x12 as 4x12 to choose from.

But I look at IR's way different than the actual cab in regards to preference. My main gripe with gigging with 4x12 cabs is lugging them around!

Plus the AxeFx makes it so easy to remove low end and clean up the issues that real 4x12 cabs have. And IR's are a lot lighter :)

Back
Top Bottom