Own Hammer - Mix IR's Mix Bundles - Modern/Vintage

I bought the vintage IR's from Ownhammer and some of the files I tried to load gave me invaild file. I can't remember which ones off the top of my head, but I will post here later on which ones. Anybody experience anything like this? Some loaded fine without a problem? Would I just need to re download the files again from Ownhammer site to maybe solve this problem.

hi all

thanks Kevin for your precisions.
I bought the MOdern Pack and i'm very leased with (will purchase the Producer pack from FAS, too...).
I'm very impressed with the few IR I tested. Iprefer the Mixe IR with Live Vintage/Modern (TI or T2, not that much diff I found). And the difference is perfectly clear between MOdern / vintage, as Kevin stated.

PS: and use the CabManager appli from CyberFerret: a great one !

For whatever it's worth :) I'm back to using Scott's formula of Live Vintage T1 with Studio Modern T1. I did work with the Median SS and found the T1 puts a little oomph that I notice playing with others. Either would be fine. My fav speakers have to be the M-BB-55s (and the H-BB-55s) from the Vintage collection. Those just sound thick, full, and present. The Pre Rolas roll off just a bit too much for me. I don't really care for the RI Ms. They seem to shrill to my ears. The RI Hs with the Cameron Atomica sound fine. Sadly, I couldn't find a great pairing for the Scumbacks. I tried the M75s on the Friedman and it gave it too much of a modern "metal" sound. Put the M-BB on those channels (HB and HBE) and it sounded more to what my ear likes. Fuller with some wood and character. I've never really liked T75 based IRs but after researching on the CA TripTik, that was mentioned as a recommended speaker and I thought it fit well. The other thing too is I've been trying to mix similar speakers (so V30CN with V30EN or G65RI w/ G65vintage). That yielded some better results in some cases depending on if I wanted to soften, pronounce, or complement an amps base character.

I'll tell you what...if Kevin does this approach with his Bogner and Mesa cab, I don't know what I'm going to do with that kind of choice!

I must say that from when I loaded in the AXE those new IR's, I can't use the "traditional" factory cab at all (I'm referring to the old RW cabs and factory cab, not at all to the last FAS mix that sounds pretty cool!). The new OH's cabs sounds so "in the room" that you can feel the pressure of the sound coming out from the speakers! I really like them, the T1 in particular!
I also don't fell the need to have those same IR's taken from a Mesa cab or a Bogner Cab or what else, what interest to me is to have IR's that captures exactly the sound of that particular speaker, how that speaker sounds...and is exactly what those IR's do!!! Doesn't matter, in my opinion, if the cab has written on it Mesa or Bogner or Walt Disney or Harry Potter ;)

the cab is important.. it adds its own character to the sound. You are not just hearing a speaker being held up by any old wooden box.

Reactions: yek
For whatever it's worth :) I'm back to using Scott's formula of Live Vintage T1 with Studio Modern T1. I did work with the Median SS and found the T1 puts a little oomph that I notice playing with others. Either would be fine. My fav speakers have to be the M-BB-55s (and the H-BB-55s) from the Vintage collection. Those just sound thick, full, and present. The Pre Rolas roll off just a bit too much for me. I don't really care for the RI Ms. They seem to shrill to my ears. The RI Hs with the Cameron Atomica sound fine. Sadly, I couldn't find a great pairing for the Scumbacks. I tried the M75s on the Friedman and it gave it too much of a modern "metal" sound. Put the M-BB on those channels (HB and HBE) and it sounded more to what my ear likes. Fuller with some wood and character. I've never really liked T75 based IRs but after researching on the CA TripTik, that was mentioned as a recommended speaker and I thought it fit well. The other thing too is I've been trying to mix similar speakers (so V30CN with V30EN or G65RI w/ G65vintage). That yielded some better results in some cases depending on if I wanted to soften, pronounce, or complement an amps base character.

Yeah, not thrilled either by the Scumbacks in the collection.

The BBs are great but have too much lows and highs to my liking (too much balls).
I'm sticking to the Pre-rola G12H, Median T1 (ss would be fine too).
Combined with the FAS EV12L Mix, for a similar tone as my current guitar cab.

Using that combo with my clean (Morgan) as well as dirty (Friedman) tones.

If anyone would like, name the amp type and I'll share my mix 'formula' for that sort of tone. (*Note I also use a lot of Fractal Mix cabs with the OH Mix cabs for cleaner tones).

Panned center in a stereo cab block:

Morgan AC-20: Alnico Silver T1 Studio Modern -3db/Alnico Blue T1 Live-Vintage 0db
Friedman BE/HBE: H-BB-55 T1 Studio Modern -3db/M-PR-55 T1 Live-Vintage 0db
Bogner XTC Red/Blue: H-BB-55 T1 Studio Modern -3dbdb/V30-EN T1 Live Vintage 0db

I also don't fell the need to have those same IR's taken from a Mesa cab or a Bogner Cab or what else, what interest to me is to have IR's that captures exactly the sound of that particular speaker, how that speaker sounds...and is exactly what those IR's do!!! Doesn't matter, in my opinion, if the cab has written on it Mesa or Bogner or Walt Disney or Harry Potter ;)
you're quite wrong there with that assumption. put a mic in front of a Twin, now take that same speaker and put it into a 4x12 driven by the Twin, same mic, same everything...hugely different result.
what you want or think this is, was done by Redwirez some time ago. they tried to capture "just" the speaker. capturing the speaker in a "proper" box and especially the one that speaker is supposed to sit in (like in my Twin example) yields far more original results. so basically, I can't wait for Ownhammer to do the same thing just with different cabs and if possible not just 4x12s...

you're quite wrong there with that assumption. put a mic in front of a Twin, now take that same speaker and put it into a 4x12 driven by the Twin, same mic, same everything...hugely different result.
what you want or think this is, was done by Redwirez some time ago. they tried to capture "just" the speaker. capturing the speaker in a "proper" box and especially the one that speaker is supposed to sit in (like in my Twin example) yields far more original results. so basically, I can't wait for Ownhammer to do the same thing just with different cabs and if possible not just 4x12s...

I agree with VegaBaby. I purchased both sets of these IR's and, from the limited time I have been able to work with them, they sound great. I do wish that these great speakers had been captured in the cabs they were originally designed for. This may be only a matter of concept, but it seems truer to have the Mesa speakers in a Mesa cab, etc. I do not intend for this to diminish in any way the great effort and results obtained by Kevin/Ownhammer.

I agree. Like you said, the difference is particularly evident in those amps that use, for example, open back or semi open back cabinets. What I meant to say is that, often, having two cabs of the same type (ex. 4X12) a lot of guitarists tend to pay more attention to the brand than to the ears.
And ultimately, a V30 sound, for example, in a Mesa cab will be darker or deeper, in a Bogner cab will be more present, but in a 4x12 the core of the sound will be a V30 sound...obvious, but may be not so.
I hope I have clarified what I meant.

I agree with VegaBaby. I purchased both sets of these IR's and, from the limited time I have been able to work with them, they sound great. I do wish that these great speakers had been captured in the cabs they were originally designed for. This may be only a matter of concept, but it seems truer to have the Mesa speakers in a Mesa cab, etc. I do not intend for this to diminish in any way the great effort and results obtained by Kevin/Ownhammer.

Own Hammer will be putting the same set (all of them) in different cabs. Each 'bundle' will be the entire set(s) of speakers in those different cabinets.

Many more 'Mix' cabs to come as time and energy allows. :) Next in the queue is the Bogner 2x12 open back Shiva; I'll probably start working on that in 2 weeks after I wrap up creating the Nebula files for the Modern pack and re-introduction of the old 'V1' libraries. In addition to new cabs, the available speakers may expand if budget and availability are there. Out of production speakers can be very hard to find and score, especially the ones I'm hunting for currently. :ghost:

If anyone would like, name the amp type and I'll share my mix 'formula' for that sort of tone. (*Note I also use a lot of Fractal Mix cabs with the OH Mix cabs for cleaner tones).

Morgan AC-20: Alnico Silver T1 Studio Modern -3db/Alnico Blue T1 Live-Vintage 0db

Thx Scott - this is great for us "IR" newbies !

JBL tone ring cabinet with a JBL red coloured magnet D140F. Had one - sold it. But with a Tele it was some of the most awsome speakers around.

Scott what are you digging for clean tones such as fenders? Combining with Fractal mixes? I have been using the Fractal Deluxe Tweed Mix a lot.

Damn you Scott ! I've been playing for literally 3 hours ONLY with this - Friedman BE/HBE: H-BB-55 T1 Studio Modern -3db/M-PR-55 T1 Live-Vintage 0db - and do not feel compelled at all to play anything else :)

Scott what are you digging for clean tones such as fenders? Combining with Fractal mixes? I have been using the Fractal Deluxe Tweed Mix a lot.

Really depends on the amp. On that particular amp, I use this: J12-CN T1 Studio Modern -3db/J12-PR T1 Live Vintage 0DB. Have fun... I do! I use the "Deluxe Verb" more than the Tweed, but I'm primarily a humbucker player that uses that juiced Deluxe thing for a LOT of country/rock/southern rock stuff. Main amp for P&W too. The Tweed also likes the J12-PQ and J12-CN so play around with different combinations till you hit the one that makes you go.... ooh! :eek: (*Note: I am VERY much looking forward to hearing what the open back 212 setup does to the Jensen speakers in the upcoming Mix collections from Kevin at Own Hammer. I have a feeling it'll be off the hook for this stuff).

Damn you Scott ! I've been playing for literally 3 hours ONLY with this - Friedman BE/HBE: H-BB-55 T1 Studio Modern -3db/M-PR-55 T1 Live-Vintage 0db - and do not feel compelled at all to play anything else :)

Gotta be honest, always loved the Friedman amps in the Axe-FX. Always. Got to play the 'real deal' at the Amp Show in the Friedman room and it was extraordinary too. No IR's in the Axe-FX II or via third party "got" that 'thaing' that the real deal did at volume... until the OH IR's came out. Now? BOOM! I have had versions of these in beta for a while... and it was hard to contain my enthusiasm. That "thaing" is not only there, it's explosively good now with v.11. GOOD stuff!!!!!!!! Dave Friedman is a genius amp maker and these IR's truly, honestly... are like a good cold beer right out of the ice bucket on a hot summer's day. (*If a bikini model handed it to you... as she dropped her top and winked at you).**

**assuming you are not married. If you are, well, then imagination will have to do. Unless you have a REALLY kick-ass wife that still wears bikinis, hands you ice cold beer, drops her top and winks at you. ;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom