Own Hammer - Mix IR's Mix Bundles - Modern/Vintage

Well, I had to chime in on these. I'm used to not hearing the dramatic improvements that people on this board frequently hear with new updates and such. I don't have "golden ears." But these new OH cabs are the missing link for me with the Axe. Literally every patch I tried benefitted noticeably from the OH IRs. Patches that I thought were muddy or just missing something suddenly blossomed for me, including Marshalls, Voxes, D-Styles. Highly recommended.

By the way, shouldn't this thread be in "User Cabs and IR's"?

Last edited:
Where is the Thread Located? People should enjoy the information instead of wondering if its in the correct forum especially when it is.

Where is the Thread Located? People should enjoy the information instead of wondering if its in the correct forum especially when it is.

Wow, somebody woke up on the wrong side of the bed. Being in the right forum makes it easier to find. I was looking for it before and couldn't find it because it was in the wrong forum.

The thread is in the right place now; I thought I originally put it in the correct section of the forum.

Any debate over that is most entirely my own fault; the meat of the matter is what matters more.

Reactions: yek
:encouragement:Damn! I'm gonna be a busy mofo with all these IR's... definitely feeling a little overwhelmed in a good way. I'm already planning to be out sick next Wednesday to try and make a dent.

What up homie? Your inbox is full so can't reply to your question. Anyways the IR I'm using ATM is OwnHammer_412_Mes_V32_SM57_Brit-Vintage-6. Seems to be a sweetspot! ;)

Start with "Orange D". That's IMO the best one and in a mix it's cool to use all different IRs to mask the fizz and add character to individual tracks.

But yeah... these are done with a tube amp so it's similar to OwnHammer T1 or T2. Actually maybe even more of that cranked tube sound so more presence and bass.

There are the mixes, each through a solid state, and 2 tube power amps ( each of the amps with a Vintage and a Modern version ), PLUS individual mics in several positions...

I don't get the part about individual mics in several positions. When I open the folders I downloaded, I see the IRs organized by speakers. Within each speaker folder, you have the option of ir mixes or irs with different mics. But there's no choice of different positions per microphone, only different power amps used when capturing (ss/t1/t2), right?

Also, what's with the logic behind downloading vintage and modern collections, when both the vintage and modern collection each has vintage and modern variants of the mixes? Is the explanation that both the vintage and modern speakers have vintage and modern sounding capture techniques...?

I don't get the part about individual mics in several positions. When I open the folders I downloaded, I see the IRs organized by speakers. Within each speaker folder, you have the option of ir mixes or irs with different mics. But there's no choice of different positions per microphone, only different power amps used when capturing (ss/t1/t2), right?

That's correct.

Also, what's with the logic behind downloading vintage and modern collections, when both the vintage and modern collection each has vintage and modern variants of the mixes? Is the explanation that both the vintage and modern speakers have vintage and modern sounding capture techniques...?

The difference between the collections are the captured speakers. For example, there are two vintage G12Ms in the Vintage library, and two not-so-vintage G12Ms in the Modern library.

I can understand the confusion, because there are also the Modern versus Vintage mixes, which is something different.

Thanks a lot for the clarification, Yek, appreciate it.

I can understand the confusion, because there are also the Modern versus Vintage mixes, which is something different.

Different in what way? In both the Modern and the Vintage package you have both modern and vintage mixes; Modern/modern, modern/vintage, vintage/vintage, and vintage/modern? What, then, is the difference between a modern/vintage mix and a vintage/modern mix?

Sorry if I'm asking something that will be obvious when I sit down and try this, I'm not with my Axe as we speak ;)

The Modern Mix is a combination of certain mics (IRs) where the result is a little scooped (my own words).

The Vintage Mix has another combination, resulting in more mids.

Last edited:
I think you really just have to dive in yourself and hear the differences with your rig/guitar. I bought both Marshall packs, the Mesa and Bogner. Kevin told me for metal I should probably start with the Mesas but I'm actually having huge success so far with the Bogners. Everyone will have varying results...which is why I took vacation days from work today and tomorrow. No chick around... just me, my guitars, and a shitload of IR's to explore. And of course a fridge full of Heineken! :encouragement:

Also, what's with the logic behind downloading vintage and modern collections, when both the vintage and modern collection each has vintage and modern variants of the mixes?

Sorry for the dual use of the words, unfortunately they were the best words to describe each situation - one literal and one a textural adjective.

Modern vs Vintage in reference to the separate libraries:
- as noted in the product descriptions the Modern Collection consists of speakers manufactured after the mid 1990's
- as noted in the product descriptions the Vintage Collection consists of speakers manufactured before the mid 1990's

Modern vs Vintage in reference to the Mix files:
- as noted in the PDF, they consist of different microphone mixes
- Modern has a more forward, cutting sound
- Vintage has a more laid back, rounded sound
- as yek noted, there is a difference in the mids (in this collection), vintage having more of them

Hope this helps!

At the moment I'm combing the OwnHammer pre-rola G12H30 Median with the Fractal Rumble E12L cab, in my main presets.
Love the tone!

Back
Top Bottom