Own hammer ir choices

redbud

Inspired
I have been exploring the own hammer IR's a bit. specifically the mar 4x14 greenback set. this is overwhelming to me and i can't seem to find an IR that really draws me. They are all good just a little too colored for my taste.

Where do you start for a nice neutral real cab like feel?

Personally i don't care for the color the different mic's add. I would prefer to hear just the speaker.

Overwhelmed is a great word. The IR choices and confusion with previous versions is now beyond me. I dont know how many 4x4 Marshalls and Mesa's etc. one can have. I am usually after similar, pure unphasy unscooped sounds. I know this may be an odd request given cabs and speakers and mic's color the sound, but many are just off the deep end. I dont know if the 'newest' ownhammer's sound better, different or just more the same. All the samples always sound great.

going through the MAR-CB quick start folder today and i found a good greenback m75 and h75. I think they are much better than the previous own hammer stuff that i had from a few years ago. It just took some time to find a fit.

Personally i don't care for the color the different mic's add. I would prefer to hear just the speaker.

In order to shoot an IR you need a generator (the Axe Fx), an amp that can drive the speaker and a mic that captures the sound the speaker generates. So since there's a mic there, it's going to affect the sound. That's just the nature of the beast. As said many, many times - using an IR is not like listening to a guitar cab, it's like listening to a guitar cab in the other room that has been mic'd up and listened to through studio monitors. If you want the unaffected cab sound, you need to use a guitar cab, not IRs.

With the new vs old Ownhammers, to me it's really like old vs new Axe Fx 2 firmwares. The newer the firmware, the easier it is to dial in an amp that sounds great. It used to be that I struggled with some amp models and used advanced parameters but in new firmwares pretty much everything sounds great with no advanced tweaking needed. And same to me with the Ownhammers - I used to listen and listen to various tube vs solid state amp captures and different mics and so on. And now I just pick either the SP2 or the OH1F version that's in the Quick Start folder and they all sound good to me.

Last edited:
Don't load to many at once. I grab the quick start file and load some mixes and some mic files. Maybe ten total. Don't go crazy with all of them.

My way to work is to think about reality.
If you want a studio take, prefer the OH1 (many of recording are made with the famous 57 & 121 duet)
If you want a live sound, and especially a more direct sounding, try the 57 alone.

Back
Top Bottom