Own Hammer 12M/V31 Tone Test - Who says Greenbacks Can't Do Metal? FW 9 Beta Content

Well, it may be over the top, but it's a damn gnarly Recto Red Modern patch that I'm using - double tracked. I'm pretty impressed with the overall tone of these cabs, which was mixed with the following IRs.

1. 12M 2011C Classic Warm
2. 12M R121 Balanced 6
3. V31 SM57 WF 5
4. V31 TC30 1

There's no boost in front of the amp, but a GEQ is boosting a bit of the mids to crispen it a little. The saturation switch is on, and the gain is up at about 4.9. MV is at about 3.75. The bass is a quick one-track recording with two SVT amps cut into low and high frequencies and blended. I recorded this pretty quick pre-9.0 release, which I am installing tomorrow. Enjoy the heavies!

Yes, but I think that the 12M cab that Own Hammer has provided us is also great for modern metal. A lot of guys poo poo about it these days, saying that the V30 is the only speaker to use for modern heavy stuff. Granted, this example is a blend between the two, but the 12M is providing the bulk of the tone here. Also, Soundcloud streaming compresses the living hell out of the audio, so it pushes from about 4k up and makes it a bit "sandier" as you so eloquently put it.

What I'm really looking forward to is when Kevin gets around to doing IRs of the T75 so I can blend it with the V30. Who knows, I might end up blending all 3 since I won't have to worry about phase stuffs.

I downloaded the track and it sounds a little richer, but still sandy. A finely textured grit. It's cool actually. Just not something I've ever wanted for myself.

Yeah, I've since turned down the amp hi-cut and the poweramp hi-cut until it's gotten rid of the intense sibilance. It's still got grit, but it's not got that "shhhhh" sound going on.

Back
Top Bottom