Overwhelmed by Cabs

What would be really cool is to be able to pick a cab and a mic you want and then have a knob or switch that controls the virtual mic position. To be able to find the sweet spot in a virtual cab by moving around a modeled mic in an amp modeler using impulse responses, what a crazy world!
Bias Amp 2 and Amplitube 4 do this with varying degrees of success. BA2 does a pretty decent job of it with the Celestion speakers. I think what it is doing is it has a virtual grid of IRs and as you move the mic it mixes them or switches between them.

It may not be exactly like IRL but regardless, it is quite cool: you can get some really nice sounds, it is very easy to use, and you do not suffer the information overload directories of IRs with varied naming conventions can cause.

I'd love it if Cliff and Company developed something like Cablab 4 that allowed you to do this in real-time on the scratch pad for demoing until you have what you want and then push the result to an AxeFX slot.

Seriously, fixing the IR problem, would be a next level thing for the vendor that cracked it. The sound is good but the user experience can be rough.

Last edited:
I did a wish list and poll to see who would want to copy and paste internal cabs into user banks in Axe Edit so you can have all your favorites all in one spot. If you like it. Vote yes, and no if you don't. It seems like a win win to me.

Last edited:
Would be really cool (with all this new compute power), if when globally selected, and you add a new Amp, a related Cab Block would be chained and configured with these best IR version to match the Amp. This could save a lot of time (and frustration) with IR selection for just demoing amps.
This is how the Helix works. It is a big time saver. Good idea.

I did a wish list and poll to see who would want to copy and paste internal cabs into user banks in Axe Edit so you can have all your favorites all in one spot. If you like it. Vote yes, and no if you don't. It seems like a win win to me.
Doesn’t the AxeFx II AE allow you to ‘tag’ cabs with color codes, etc? And then filter based on the assigned color? If they just do that in the III AE you don’t need to burn a cab slot redundantly. Seems like a waste if a tagging system gets implemented, IMHO.

You people who aren't overwhelmed by Cabs, how do you do it?
What's your workflow?
Do you sit there with pencil and notepad and scroll through all 1,000 rating them good or bad? And then...I dunno, do a runoff of the "good ones" to get it down to the top 10? Or what?

I am overwhelmed by all the cabs also. In the past I have gone through every cab in a cab pack and wrote down the ones I liked best.
Now I pretty much know which speakers I like the best, and which mics I like the best. I start there. That narrows it down a little.
OwnHammer has some tips on how to navigate their cab packs.
https://www.ownhammer.com/tutorials/general/

Back
Top Bottom