Overwhelmed by cabs to be honest....

David Tesch

Inspired
Greetings everyone-
I have owned my AxeFX III for over a month, I'm very pleased with the dynamics it has. As far as cabs go, it has come with many stock cabs, I fail to see the real need for to purchase any. I am a Mesa guy, I have both the newer recto slants I use with a Mark V and a blue stripe Mark III with the old school 4x12 slant with Black shadows. I was going to make my own IR's, and I'm sure I will do it eventually, but I have gotten pretty darn close to "my sound" with the stock 4x12 USA BK Shadow 4400 D2a VH, and sometimes combining it with the Bk Shadow 2020 A1

There are so many Recto cabs that I really don't know which to go with LOL... In real life I love the MKIII for my lead tones ( a Satriani vibe) but sometimes the rhythm tone does feel a little dated. Guys always want to get that "Metallaca sound" but it can be a bit much. Using the Mark V for rhythm is much tighter and has a more modern feel. Any stock 4x12 cabs that are your favorite? I do play a Dream Theaterish metal but not the super dark stuff that is so popular now.

The same week I bought my AxeFX I bought a TwoNotes Torpedo for attenuation and re-amping with the Mesas, haven't even turned it on. I may end up being 100% happy with this unit for tracking from here on out honestly.

thanks

Yes I have read through that... my main point is we have so many already, I'm wondering mostly what guys favorites are {especially for the Recto sound)...

I'm thinking I need to spend more time with my actual MkV Recto setup for a refreshed frame of reference, I haven't even turned it on probably in a year and I don't even know what I'm looking for honestly.

... and I don't even know what I'm looking for honestly.

That's me when it comes to cabs too - but if you take it in small chunks - like get your amp that you want to use and then just test like 10 cabs and mark the ones (assign a color) that you hear and think "yeah, that's pretty good" it'll help narrow down the list. Plus, you also will hear some that you're like "nope, not for me" and you can assign a color to that one too - when you get done, just get them out of there. :)

Use your ears! When I’m selecting cabs, I just scroll through and try a variety of cabs with different speaker configurations, micing, open or closed back etc. until I find the sound that feels right. I’m usually surprised by what I settle on.

Use your ears! When I’m selecting cabs, I just scroll through and try a variety of cabs with different speaker configurations, micing, open or closed back etc. until I find the sound that feels right. I’m usually surprised by what I settle on.
You just scroll through I think it's 2037 cabs and try them?

Yea it’s overwhelming and I think the user experience should be more as you would do it IRL. Select a mic, select a cab, speaker type etc as opposed to lumping 2k+ cabs together. What I’d like to eventually see? Something like 2 notes WOS or the Mikko plugin built into a cab block. And for that matter, eventually maybe VST support for all my waves stuff.

Reactions: JTI
One of the secret weapons to dialing in Mesa amps, if you like the V style scoop in the EQ, is to use cab IR files with either an Audix D6 or AKG D12 in the mix.

Having that V scoop of either mic interpretation baked into the cab file allows you to be more free using the EQ and tone stack controls to dial in a sound that you want rather than focusing on what you want to dial out of your tone.

YMMV

After many years, I’ve found a couple that I like that work for me for most tones. (Btw they are leons free cabs) I never even try the others anymore. You’ll get there.
Leon's cab are absolutely killer. Not sure what he does but they sound very professional.

Here's a trick I gleaned from one of Leon's -- @2112 -- excellent videos...

On Axe edit, in the cab block, click on the "#" in the cab picker, then use your up and down arrows on your keyboard to move through the cabs. Makes it very easy to audition cabs while playing. OR, even better, use the looper (before the cab block) and audition cabs that way. [ see attached vid]

But as everyone else has said, use your ears. This just makes it easy to do that.

I know I can use my ears folks, that isn't a problem... I probably should have phrased it differently in my OP, I was trying to phrase things in a way not to step on the toes of the guys who sell these IRs but maybe I came across as mamby pamby that can't figure my own tones or something, so I apologize for that....

I'm typically a collector of everything so if there's cab packs or whatever I typically buy everything so I have precisely 4 million options. I was looking through all the stock cabs it comes with and we already have an abundance of options IMO, especially with the Recto cabs. So I was hoping to hear what your "go to"' IRs were or if there were actually any cab packs you felt were "essential". Like I said I will eventually get around to making my own with my cabs but with everything available to us already they probably won't be life changing.

I will use that arrow trick Shaw, should make it faster

I somewhat agree w/the OP, it would be great, if when searching for a Cab to match the selected Amp, that a filtered list be presented to narrow down the list of Cabs that would pair w/the amp cab response setting. Hopefully this could be turned into a feature request.

Until we get this, I usually just search/google the amp selected an determine what cab/speakers were used in the amp. Then I use the Cab Search function to try and find a descent cab/speaker combo, then select the mic(s) that were appropriate for that era.

Back
Top Bottom