Overlooked feature...HUMBUSTER TECHNOLOGY

shasha

Fractal Fanatic
Yeah I'm not a gear snob or anything, but over the years I've basically had nothing but issues with unbalanced equipement and have basically sworn it off and refuse to own it. I have some nasty hum going on in my house as well (another story all together) and at this point I know that unbalanced equipment will be rendered virtually unusable. I can't even use single coil guitars in my house it's so bad. I'm not saying that I have amazing gear or that I'm superior in my ability to purchase stuff, I'm just saying that I know what works for me and I don't like wasting my time these days.

Anyway I was a bit disappointed to see that the AxeFXII's 2nd set of outputs is not balanced, but used some new fangled wizardry called humbuster technology. I can see where this would be useful for people who don't have balanced inputs on whatever they're connecting to, but I thought that it was a bit of a slight to those of us who were 'better prepared'. I'm not against new ideas (obviously or I wouldn't own an AxeFX), but I do like proven concepts.

Well I went ahead and made a few cables up, hooked it up, fired up my floor monitors and sure enough....no frickin' hum,,,,at all. What's even cooler is that I understand the way that it does this thanks to the manual and it's not only innovative and brilliant, but it actually WORKS.

So I'm just a little surprised that there hasn't been a lot more brought up about this revolutionary idea here. Seriously, as much as we sit here and nitpick and over analyze even the smallest tonal detail and when something doesn't seem quite right we get on here and 'report' it I think that it's only fair that praise is given when it's deserved.

It may not be a huge deal to people that don't live down the street from me in Humtown USA, but trust me when I say that it's fantastic!

Good with a reminder. Have not used the unbalanced outputs yet but will get some humbuster cables when I need to use them.

So I'm just a little surprised that there hasn't been a lot more brought up about this revolutionary idea here. Seriously, as much as we sit here and nitpick and over analyze even the smallest tonal detail and when something doesn't seem quite right we get on here and 'report' it I think that it's only fair that praise is given when it's deserved.

I've posted about how well it works in a number of threads, including in another thread with you.

Danny W.

Reactions: jon
I know these Hummers can fly and such, but I still think you might benefit from getting another car...! ;)

Hummer1.jpg

I haven't used it yet, but I totally appreciate what it is and the genius and revolutionary idea behind it. It is really refreshing to see designers aim for perfection instead of 'that's just how it works' complacency. Indeed, we would be so much better off if companies in general tried to come up with real world solutions to rel world problems instead of just trying to make something to sell. Thanks for the hard work and pushing the boundaries FAS! ;)

Sasha, if you use True-Star grounding a lot of your woes would disappear. Of course, a Faraday cage built into the walls of your studio (mesh tacked on on underneath the sheetrock and grounded too) would be even better. I'd have a look at this book: http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Wiring-...0068/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1328487082&sr=8-1 - this is the guy who wired my first studio way back in 1985, and he knows his stuff.

I'm sure that is great book, but this is free...

http://www.rane.com/note110.html

Invaluable resource.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: jon
I'm sure that is great book, but this is free...

Sound System Interconnection

Invaluable resource.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I've been printing out that adapter chart from there for my students for years. :) It's a great site. I don't have any wiring or ground issues in my equipment, I get a lot of interference from something inside the walls. It's not 60Hz either, it's a weird harmonic thing possibly. I just need to get off my butt and do some serious investigation in the house wiring.

I've also got an AM tower a few miles away (even though it doesn't sound like a modulated signal) and an airport not to far away. I've also got a huge Verizon place like a mile away that may have something nasty coming from them.

It's Humtown. If it can ruin your audio we have it all.

I got two noise problems in the house: a flippin' dimmer switch in the dining room and a female who won't let me disappear the damn thing.

"Honey, i don't know what happened, i went to turn on the dining light, and it popped, the guy at the store said a standard switch will prevent this from happening, sorry we lost the dimmer"

Problem solved.

then comes the everyday nag "honey, WHEN are you going to fix the dimmer switch!??! We've been without it for a week!"

I've also got an AM tower a few miles away (even though it doesn't sound like a modulated signal) and an airport not to far away. I've also got a huge Verizon place like a mile away that may have something nasty coming from them.

In Rome, those living around the Vatican Town catch Radio Vaticana from their home phones and buzzer lines :shock

I've been printing out that adapter chart from there for my students for years. :) It's a great site. I don't have any wiring or ground issues in my equipment, I get a lot of interference from something inside the walls. It's not 60Hz either, it's a weird harmonic thing possibly. I just need to get off my butt and do some serious investigation in the house wiring.

Are you near BWI?

Back
Top Bottom