Overdrive sound

lucbl3

Hello, i'm creating posts all over just to certify that i'm buying this thing :)
I'm getting the money in 2 weeks, and i'm gonna get one right after, so i need to raise one more question:

I know Axefx is truly capable of nailing some pretty, outstanding metal tones. But that's all i can find in youtube. Metal, metal, metal. I really like metal tones, but what i'm looking after is what it is so difficult to simulate: That hot, clean, full sounding, with no compression overdrive. Like that you can get out of an Orange Rockverb 50 or even a THD Flexi 50 (really enjoy that Brett Garsed tone).

Can someone post a video, or a link to a clip so i can listen to this kind of overdrive in Axe-FX?

Thanks in advance!!

I still think this series is one of the best on youtube, not just metal or drive but shows the versatility of the unit. Start with (R)evolution of Rock Guitar-Fractal Audio Axe-Fx Ultra Preamp/Effects processor-Part I -Ketil Strand
(http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-nHCW0eg0E&feature=related) and look through all of the series.

Not sure hot to include a link - you can search on the name and it will come up. Ketil is just unreal as well.

EDIT - Almost forgot - these vids are also a year old, and before the latest firmware updates from FAS which are amazing...

Last edited:
I dont have a link or vids ive done- but I can tell you as a VERY non-metal guy, you will have all you need for OD tones with this thing. About 2 months with mine and still very very much in love. All my pedals are gone :)

Hello, i'm creating posts all over just to certify that i'm buying this thing :)
I'm getting the money in 2 weeks, and i'm gonna get one right after, so i need to raise one more question:

I know Axefx is truly capable of nailing some pretty, outstanding metal tones. But that's all i can find in youtube. Metal, metal, metal. I really like metal tones, but what i'm looking after is what it is so difficult to simulate: That hot, clean, full sounding, with no compression overdrive. Like that you can get out of an Orange Rockverb 50 or even a THD Flexi 50 (really enjoy that Brett Garsed tone).

hi,
I listened to some of his tracks (great stuff, btw.) and I'm sure what you're looking for is definitely obtainable.
In the Axe are some amazing amp sims for clean stuff (Brownface, Shiva Clean, FAS Clean to name just a few of my favs) and a wonderful collection of drive pedals. While these drive pedals cover a lot of ground with just their drive, tone and level controls, they also have a three band eq with semi-parametric mids, a 'clip type' parameter (quite unique) as well as slew limit, and bias controls. On top of that you can specify the mix between the clean and dirty signal.
So, yes it's in there.
And so much more...
:)

While the Axe does some pretty amazing Metal, it's the in-between, clean/crunch sounds that got me hooked in the first place.

I know Axefx is truly capable of nailing some pretty, outstanding metal tones. But that's all i can find in youtube. Metal, metal, metal.

That's kind of funny because people used to complain that there's too many U2 clips of the AxeFx and not enough metal. :)

Hi,
How might some of you set the newer settings for the OD"s since we have more controls like the slew and bias ane low cut on the current firmware to get close to the video on OD"s?
Thanks,
Tim

Thanks for the quick answers people. I'm completely satisfied with what i've seen and listened to. No more doubts about this piece of gear . Gettin' one in mid february :D

BTW: some people that are tube addicted doesn't seem to understand what digital evolution can do. They almost made my mind for not the buy the Axe-Fx. Too bad for them =D

As a long time cork-sniffin' tube addict, I can tell you this: I've had my Ultra for 26 days and have already sold all my effects pedals and all but one amp, and that'll soon be gone as well.

It's that good. I mean, imagine: as a guitar player, changing bright cap values on a whim with neither solder gun nor fear . . . . imagine not having to pay a tech to re-bias the "tubes" colder or hotter and back to colder and back to hotter . . . . . . . . .

I almost feel guilty! :D

Once you learn your way around the Axe, the possibilities are just flat out mind boggling. And if you hit a wall? You just come here and dip into the vast well of experience on this site.

Gives me goosbumps. 8)

the slew limit parameter is already part of the settings he uses and shares in this great, great video.
I guess he didn't need bias or eq.

Back
Top Bottom