• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

Overdrive Pedals When Making Presets

jw3571

Inspired
Do you guys usually use overdrive pedals when making preset for rock music, like AC/DC and GNR or do you just crank MV of the amp you use and no overdrive pedal? I'm playing in my basement so it can't be too cranked, i'm just curious if you guys usually use overdrive pedals in most patches.

Thanks

scorch

Experienced
All of the above. You have all the versatility you need. Try it all. I use dirt-boxes, clean-boosts (filter), another preamp and cranking the gain in the amp preset. It's all just seasoning to taste.

jlynnb1

Fractal Fanatic
that's the beauty of the Axe, you can crank the MV on the "amp" all you want and it doesn't have to make you louder.

jlynnb1

Fractal Fanatic
if it's a non-master volume amp, then too much mv can cause mud. you might also try a ts in front to tighten things up.

scorch

Experienced
What's usually best if you're trying get away from muddy sounding power chords?
I don't know the style of music you play but the amps that have a lot of preamp gain and are hitting the power section really hard usually benefit from lowering the master (or master trim...it's kind of a fine tune device. I've started using it a lot.) For metal stuff master down to 3 or 4, then bring it up with output gain.

jeremypodom

What's usually best if you're trying get away from muddy sounding power chords?
The thing I've found that works well is to increase the low cut on the power amp section

Also, I don't use OD pedals at all. I just tweak my amp block until I go insane.

scottburrow

Fractal Fanatic
I use two drives on most of my presets. I find two that compliment each other so I can stack them if I need to. The first one being just gritty enough and the second one being more driven. Sounds great in front of a clean amp. I use a Dumble amp, most of the time, these days.

Andrew Male

Experienced
Being primarily an AC30 guy, the use of pedals is inevitable for different flavours of drive that you can't get just by cranking it.

kroubik

if it's a non-master volume amp, then too much mv can cause mud. you might also try a ts in front to tighten things up.
I'm a new user so maybe I am miss interpreting what you are saying, but the manual says for non-master volume amps you should leave the MV set to 10 ( default value ).

I guess if changing it gets you to where you want to go then it's all good - just not how the real amp would sound I guess.

Ken

zenaxe

Fractal Fanatic
I use OD pedals in front of heavily driven amps on a regular basis. I think it is because that is how I am used to doing it in the real world:

guitar->drive/comp/wah pedals->amp->loop send->time/filter effects->loop return->power amp->cab/mic

So, most of my patches I just set up like that, because I think of the blocks as if they were the actual piece of gear.

A lot of the amps don't necessarily need drives. Or the filtering the drive pedal gives you (which is really what I am using the drive pedal for much of the time) could be achieved in some other way but if you are very used to real gear, the traditional work flow translates very intuitively to the axe layout.

jdosher

Inspired
Yep. I do a similar thing. Did it back when I was running "real" pedals, and I'm finding it works well in the AF to get "my sound".

barhrecords

Axe-Master
Do you guys usually use overdrive pedals when making preset for rock music, like AC/DC and GNR or do you just crank MV of the amp you use and no overdrive pedal? I'm playing in my basement so it can't be too cranked, i'm just curious if you guys usually use overdrive pedals in most patches.

Thanks
I don't use a drive pedal for either AC/DC or GNR type tones. Neither to my ear needs a drive.

The plexi's and jtm45 cover all the AC/DC stuff. Both the rhythm and lead tones.

The Brit Silver, 800 Mod, JCM all can cover GNR without a drive pedal.

mnwst

Inspired
Before the Axe, I was using high gain heads and didn't feel the need for distortion pedals. There was a little bit of snobbery involved I must admit. I did have a couple in case I brought out a Twin. But with the Axe, and ever since I got the MFC, I've been using then on almost everything!! Because the default settings on the MFC had a drive pedal programmed, I started checking them out on various presets. There is something cool about getting your tone from just a cranked amp, but I'm really appreciating the extra juice a nice TS or whatever adds to the experience and have let go of my old ways. As many have said before, if it sounds good, it is good. Have fun!!

Hotplate

Power User
I love drive and fuzz pedals for lots of tones; just not for AC/DC or GNR tones.
Same here.. those are two bands that I would go for straight amp to emulate their tones. But I love the variety offered with using drive/fuzz pedals. I tend to approach everything on the Axe like I have with analog rigs. Some amps work really well with some pedals and some amps don't need them or don't work as well with them.

Top Bottom