Overall...what has been the reliability of the Atomic CLR?

Looks like there are quite a variety of experiences with the CLR's. Sorry for the folks that had the unpleasant ones. Thankfully, I'm not one of them.

I have a 1st gen active wedge that I had converted to a Neo version when Tom first offered that option. I also have a 1st gen Neo active wedge from when they first came in to production. I've used them for both guitar and bass, in rehearsal and live settings, and have never had a problem with either of them.

Based on that personal history, I took advantage of the latest Atomic deal and just received the MkII Neo active wedge version. Now I'm having fun modifying some of primary patches for a W/D/W set-up at home. :)

It's unfortunate that some batches of the CLR's seem to be just plain bad while others seem to be so good. I'll be putting the new one through the gamut of tests to be sure.
Please let me know how it works for you. I recently purchased a Atomic AmpliFIRE as a back up and the new 4.xx version firmware will now allow me to go WET/DRY/WET on BOTH the Ax Fx AND my back up, the AmpliFIRE.

Yamaha DXR12 and ASM12 were better.

"Better" is a subjective thing, right? So, since this is a thread about CLR reliability, all we can say is that you're in the "thumbs down" camp, while I and many others are in the "thumbs up" camp. No worries. Different strokes. FWIW, I'd be happy to own a lot of speakers in the $600-$900 price range, and I've used quite a few of them. It's only my opinion that there is something about the performance of the CLR that I don't necessarily hear with other speaker systems. Again, it's subjective, right?

I will add that one of the reasons I hold my opinion of the CLR is that I'm fortunate enough to get to hear my CLR wedges on a regular basis side-by-side with a lot of the popular speaker cabinets commonly mentioned and used by a lot of the music community. YMMV.

Will do.

Have you built any W/D/W patches in the Axe-FX yet or are you just getting started?
Not yet, but It's easy to do with the Axe-FX, IF the effect blocks are AFTER the cab. Just put the FX block between the cab and the effects, and you the sends of the FX loop

Does anyone know the trick for getting a response from Atomic support? I'm even keeping an eye on my spam folder. I would really like to get my CLR fixed because when it was working, it was awesome.

MKII update

I received my CLR Neo MKII and found it dimensionally identical to my MK I CLR Neo's, even fitting in my StudioSlips clamshell cover. However, the MKII weighs in at 35.8 pounds, while the MKI's each weigh in at 33.8 pounds.

So far, I would say the MKII sounds like the MKI's with no noticeable differences there, but I did notice that the inputs seem to be a bit hotter and the clip light acts different than the MKI's. It comes on solidly and stays on until the signal has dropped below the threshold, while the MKI's will blink as it reaches and drops below the threshold.

That's all for now, but I'll provide more info as I put it through the paces.

I suggest you run canned mono music source and compare at the same potentiometer levels. looking forward to your review.

Last edited:
I'm having same issues as others reported, most recently I've seen in this thread from "ipressthebutton".

I have 2 active Neo wedges. I was hoping it was as simple as a mechanical connection of wire to the bigger speaker. Not obviously so... I just removed the back cover to check... I can't see whether it is a clean solder under the shrink wrap but it looks very clean and feels solid.

1knc9GxjaIL1eQqGCTetF9qUv5l5cBhVp1XXhmqKWFW3Yv9Wia71r90cJ0N4CF7lZi4boUbuzq9qqsYE6OAcZnpdfBIb0D92qpjJYllUeq75AKkYpuNunXZtnT3QJ0roWp3AzOSg4wJuxLA0rO7KxjcUzzu_yFLp-YrPRT1t1fbcCgnMlZMqqsq75I1drz6cpti0dRRCIX3p_wGjP5PePSVKV9J7C99QvGeMBkZy1mnDLQ2g3oTMTtCaB8geZnubWdw1d7VB8ELmsi-gUEAmQZ02MM1wOZ0YV5Zce8uaA7BOPSDBrLGhDYNZ7sKIAn_PZKUA1rxAx_pGWXFbEW0u3BA2y7zS4_oQRaOdoLYURwagLLRm2dXKsTNf_HRT5QPgnvlrf9H3Hqoi0CMY3DsH7RgHCPst87jMVh-v5DF87ddF-8xyyWP-KmH24Q4CQpdOihjqvu3BVgCERQqk3i3TPmC2Q9eOV2CUwjE1LG2pi_5lMC4jGIYpS97eC0JXeMrDyA7pWwNKWx_fAA-NxNUft9daI4SKz6c2mq1xr5ICLPIaCBThW3KOVI__aIkajnPUfrNvVv-2muqi-C5OeUdwW_9gyIyFEYAFVjIfGfPFZKAB86LyK9Kf7Q=s750-no

I'm reaching out to Atomic for the first time right now....

I had to send my power module back to Atomic. Tom was great and the repair was done fast. He didn't say what was wrong with it but it wasn't the speaker connection. The speakers are connected to the power module with "clip-like" connectors that push on. The one thing that really surprised me was how light the power module was. I didn't weigh it but I would say it was less than five pounds.

I have owned all sorts of powered speakers through the years, Yorkville, JBL, QSC, RCF, EV, all driven hard. Not one of them ever failed, ever. Companies like Yamaha, Yorkville, QSC often offer 5 or 7 yrs warranties with actual service centres. A powered speaker is all inclusive, it should be virtually indestructible.

I've only owned four powered speakers, Yamaha DRX10, EV - ELX112P, and 2 EV ZLX12P. The ELX-112P power module failed after about 2 years, was replaced under warranty (Bosch).

i've two 1st generation aclr, i've an electronic failure since friday on one of them. no more sounds all at once.
îve tried to contact Tom King and Atomic via web,mail and fb. but I have not yet received a reply to my requests.
Did you encounter some difficulties to contact their after-sales service?

Seb

Back
Top Bottom