Overall...what has been the reliability of the Atomic CLR?

Tremonti

Fractal Fanatic
Curious if made well and issues with reliability with some? I ordered one and on way....know they sound great, but reliability is a must!

Hate to tattletale, but my experience has been mixed . I have a first-gen active CLR which has given me no problem, but my early production NEO has been problematic from early on....Tom did provide service to the power
Supply, but really haven't got it working right yet.but this deal today is still tempting ....

I had two Neo's and sold them. Went through power modules, speakers etc..I play fulltime and need something reliable..They were great though..Maybe this "MKII" model takes care of some of those problems.

I have two first gen.

I had one minor issue. The plastic knobs were not holding on to the pot shafts very well. They would come off even with very careful load in and out.

Jay Mitchell suggested some Teflon tape on the pot shafts. Worked perfectly.

I have had no electrical, power, or reliability issues. I use them almost daily in my studio and for seasonal live shows since they were first released (not sure of how many years ago?)

My experience has been similar to others. I have an active cube that I bought when they first came out and that has had zero issues. I bought an active wedge in March of this year and it just developed issues this weekend. Without anything hooked up, I am getting a crackling/popping/hissing noise. Waiting to hear back from Atomic.

I had a 1st gen powered cube and loved it -no issues. Like a dumb ass I sold it.

I would really like an active Neo CLR Mk II myself and almost started this same thread. So it would be awesome if 99 happy users chimed in to convince us otherwise.

Last edited:
I have owned all sorts of powered speakers through the years, Yorkville, JBL, QSC, RCF, EV, all driven hard. Not one of them ever failed, ever. Companies like Yamaha, Yorkville, QSC often offer 5 or 7 yrs warranties with actual service centres. A powered speaker is all inclusive, it should be virtually indestructible.

I have a first generation CLR wedge also and it performed flawlessly until recently. It has had intermittent power/tone fluxuation. It loses bass and gets really thin and there is a volume drop. The best way I could describe it is when it happens it sounds like when a wah is toe down in the high frequency. It started out intermittently it is now stuck in the high pitched sound and there is no bass. Hopefully it is just a loose connection to the 12" speaker and is a simple fix. I sent a note to support and I'm waiting for a response.

I've had two since April and no issues to report. they have worked perfectly so far.

I got in on the first batch of initial run CLR actives on pre-order. one was delivered with a wonky amp module and it was immediately swapped out no charge, and never had a problem since. I also got two passives second hand and love them. Great cabinets IMO.

Looks like there are quite a variety of experiences with the CLR's. Sorry for the folks that had the unpleasant ones. Thankfully, I'm not one of them.

I have a 1st gen active wedge that I had converted to a Neo version when Tom first offered that option. I also have a 1st gen Neo active wedge from when they first came in to production. I've used them for both guitar and bass, in rehearsal and live settings, and have never had a problem with either of them.

Based on that personal history, I took advantage of the latest Atomic deal and just received the MkII Neo active wedge version. Now I'm having fun modifying some of primary patches for a W/D/W set-up at home. :)

It's unfortunate that some batches of the CLR's seem to be just plain bad while others seem to be so good. I'll be putting the new one through the gamut of tests to be sure.

Last edited:
Looks like there are quite a variety of experiences with the CLR's. Sorry for the folks that had the unpleasant ones. Thankfully, I'm not one of them.

I have a 1st gen active wedge that I had converted to a Neo version when Tom first offered that option. I also have a 1st gen Neo active wedge from when they first came in to production. I've used them for both guitar and bass, in rehearsal and live settings, and have never had a problem with either of them.

Based on that personal history, I took advantage of the latest Atomic deal and just received the MkII Neo active wedge version. Now I'm having fun modifying some of primary patches for a W/D/W set-up at home. :)

It's unfortunate that some batches of the CLR's seem to be just plain bad while others seem to be so good. I'll be putting the new one through the gamut of tests to be sure.

So you have the MkII, whats the difference? can you tell by looking or is the same with internal changes?

They look identical except for a round black sticker on the back panel that states: CLR Neo MKII.

From the Atomic ad:
We are excited to officially announce the CLR MKII. It is the result of years of refining our best-in-class (and beyond) CLR loudspeaker to make it play louder and run cooler while maintaining or enhancing its legendary performance characteristics.

Or it could be just the new sticker. :(

I've owned a 1st gen powered CLR and 2 Neos.The only problem I've had was one being louder than the other... turned out the channel knob was put on wrong, so that 12 oclock looked like 1 oclock. FIX- took the channel knob off and put it back on in the right position. As to the others that have had issues, Usually 3% to 5% of most electronic components ship defective, especially 1st runs. Just saying...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom