Outputs not level on my Ultra

henryrobinett

Fractal Fanatic
I've noticed lately the outputs of my Ultra don't match up. One channel is louder than the other. I've tried different cables and interfaces and channels -- this is going into audio interfaces for recording. I've noticed it live going to cabs too.

Any suggestions? I didn't see anything in global settings, but I'm no Axe-Fx guru.

Have noticed the same. Went through my settings real quick to see if there was anything amiss and it looked okay. I was going to take a closer look this weekend since I was going to record some. I just assumed I had an offset balance on the delay or some other stereo effect so I was surprised to see someone posting the same issue.

Wow. Well please let me know what you find and I'll do the same. Anyone else have a solution out there? It's pretty annoying.

The right channel always seems to be a little hotter than the left, but that could be caused by my audio interface as well as the AxeFx.

Well I've tried two different interfaces and different channels, so that's not it. Interesting that other people have experienced the same thing.

"It's inevitable that there will be mismatch in the L/R levels. The output levels are controlled by a stereo potentiometer. The tracking between the two resistors will never be perfect and gets worse as you get near the start of the curve (fully CCW). It's impossible to fix in software as the mismatch will vary from unit to unit. Also, you can't simply put a global balance control because the mismatch varies with the level knob position. The good news is this is one reason why they put faders on mixing boards. I'd hardly consider it a problem or a flaw. Simply compensate as necessary." - Cliff

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/ultra...nding-same-level-signal-l-r-5.html#post333630

Well that's interesting. The level imbalance has varied dramatically. It's not an insignificant amount. And lately it's been pretty big. In the beginning I didn't notice the error, that's how insignificant it was. But there's consistently a 7 db difference. And that's pretty large.

The level imbalance has varied dramatically. It's not an insignificant amount. And lately it's been pretty big. In the beginning I didn't notice the error, that's how insignificant it was. But there's consistently a 7 db difference. And that's pretty large.
Does the level difference vary from one patch to the next?

i've noticed that my output 1 is hotter than output 2 which is the efx loop and i have the boomerang on that one so i have to turn it up more.... is this the same thing?

I think you should send your unit to Fractal, and and have them replace that faulty pot... If that is the case, of course.

mgavin said:
i've noticed that my output 1 is hotter than output 2 which is the efx loop and i have the boomerang on that one so i have to turn it up more.... is this the same thing?

If you are comparing balanced outs (XLR) from Output 1 to Output 2 which is unbalanced, the balanced outs are +6dB because of the way balanced outputs work. (The signal is output on one pin, the signal inverted is output on another; at the other end the inverted signal is inverted again and added to the original. Twice the voltage gives four times the power which equals +6dB.)

Last edited:
That's a different deal, but still not a problem. I wouldn't worry about, but if it bugs you, check to see how your levels are set internal to the Axe-FX — in particular, the output level on the Mix page of the Layout menu, and your global output settings for both outputs.

Does the level difference vary from one patch to the next?

Then it's probably due to a tracking mismatch between the two pots in the output level control. As Cliff points out, that is pretty much unavoidable with dual pots. The good news is that I can't think of a situation where that difference isn't easy to conpensate for, so no worries. You can minimize the mismatch by keeping the output knob well away from its full-counterclockwise position.

If you are comparing balanced outs (XLR) from Output 1 to Output 2 which is unbalanced, the balanced outs are +6dB because of the way balanced outputs work. (The signal is output on one pin, the signal inverted is output on another; at the other end the inverted signal is inverted again and added to the original. Twice the voltage gives four times the power which equals +6dB.)

i noticed the same difference between out 1 vs 2. its balanced vs unbalanced. like LMO said...

Well, sorry for resurrecting this, but the truly strange things is suddenly my outputs are perfectly balanced now. ??? Anyone go tan answer for that?

I believe they are referring to L vs. R output. My right output is slightly higher than my left output. It is slightly annoying, but what are going to do, short of replacing the dual pot and hope the replacement tracks closer.

Back
Top Bottom