Output volume on the FX8?

t0aj15

Power User
Last thursday I got a new Seymour Duncan Powerstage 700 amp for use with my FX8 but I'm having a problem with to little output from the amp. It's supposed to have 700 watts per channel on hand but I know for a fact it's not even close so I'm guessing it's because the outputs of the FX8 is way under-powering the inputs of the amp. I can't find anything in the manual about controlling the output volume of the FX8. Anybody know how to change the output power of the FX8?

The FX8 doesn't really have "Output power." It's meant to be used with other gear that has amplification - like a guitar amp with pre and power amps - thus it runs at "Unity Gain."

That said, I have used it directly to a PA system for clean tones without issue, though the level was a bit lower than some other gear, but not by much.

You're running the FX8 to the power amp and then a cab, and that's it?

-

I just looked at the manual and specs for the Amp. With an 8 ohm cab, it only pushes 375 watts, as expected. Most solid state amps are advertised at their lowest ohm rating, usually 4. That is when you'd get 700 watts.

I would guess your cab is 16 ohms, meaning even less power output from the Amp (maybe ~180 watts). That's more of an issue than anything else.

Last edited:
The FX8 doesn't really have "Output power." It's meant to be used with other gear that has amplification - like a guitar amp with pre and power amps - thus it runs at "Unity Gain."

That said, I have used it directly to a PA system for clean tones without issue, though the level was a bit lower than some other gear, but not by much.

You're running the FX8 to the power amp and then a cab, and that's it?
No I want to use it with a Seymour Duncan Powerstage 700 which has both a preamp and a poweramp and is supposed to be a very loud amp, but running the stereo Humbuster cables into the amp is giving me far less then optimal speaker output. This is very surprising to me because the SD 700 is supposed to be designed for this exact purpose. I guess my next alternative is to use a small mixer between the FX8 and the amp to see if boosting the signal that way helps. I've used the FX8 with a Quilter Pro Block 200 with great success and I guess if all else fails I may have to return the SD 700 and get another Quilter for stereo operation.

No I want to use it with a Seymour Duncan Powerstage 700 which has both a preamp and a poweramp and is supposed to be a very loud amp, but running the stereo Humbuster cables into the amp is giving me far less then optimal speaker output. This is very surprising to me because the SD 700 is supposed to be designed for this exact purpose. I guess my next alternative is to use a small mixer between the FX8 and the amp to see if boosting the signal that way helps. I've used the FX8 with a Quilter Pro Block 200 with great success and I guess if all else fails I may have to return the SD 700 and get another Quilter for stereo operation.
Please read the additional items in my previous post. Are you using 2 cabs?

I just looked at the manual and specs for the Amp. With an 8 ohm cab, it only pushes 375 watts, as expected. Most solid state amps are advertised at their lowest ohm rating, usually 4. That is when you'd get 700 watts.

I would guess your cab is 16 ohms, meaning even less power output from the Amp (maybe ~180 watts). That's more of an issue than anything else.
I'm using a pair of Mesa/Boogie cabs loaded with EVM-12L 's rated at 8 ohms and even still if it's only 375 watts per channel that should still be almost twice as much power as the quilter which is rated at 200 watts but FAR surpasses the SD 700 in power output.

The I/O menu lets you switch the overall output level of the FX8 between instrument and line level.

Back
Top Bottom