Output Volume Fluctuates randomly

bdjones72

Hello everyone. I have owned my AX8 for a few years now and have not had any issues with it until just recently. On two occasions now, once during a rehearsal and now once during a show the volume output on the AX8 suddenly dropped significantly. At first I thought it was an issue with my wireless or the XLR going from Out 1 to our in ear mixer was bad. Switched those out and still had the same issues. The volume starts out fine, then suddenly drops for a period of time, then will return to normal again. Changing presets/scenes doesn't necessarily change this consistently but can correct it. Powering the unit on/off will temporarily correct it, but then eventually the issue starts again. The strange thing is that when I try to reproduce the situation at home this doesn't happen. No one else in the band is having issues with their in ear signal so I am not thinking that this is an issue with the mixer or splitter we use to split our signal between our IEM mixer and the FOH unless it is just my specific channel. So I am asking if there is anyone else who has experienced this issue and if so what solution there is to prevent future occurrences? I'm hoping not to have to send the unit back to Fractal.

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/preset-change-volume-problem.152845/

a few other threads about this too. unfortunately we can't consistently recreate this to solve it. i'm on the beta team.

if you change the Out 1 volume knob slightly, the volume comes back. if you can reliably make it happen or have clues to what makes it happen, please share.

this doesn't happen to everyone, and i've only had it happen once to me when trying to make it happen for 2 hours. i work on this every week and can't get it to happen again. let us know.

Thank you Chris. If I figure anything out I will certainly post it. My only thought regarding this is since it has only happened in situations where there has been a lot of power being drawn from a lot of different sources, at rehearsal and then at a gig. Whereas at home that is not the case. This seems to be the only variable as everything else should be same, guitar, input cable, output cable, etc. If there are variances in the power going to the AX8 perhaps that is the trigger causing the volume change.

I've had something similar, but also not been able to recreate intentionally so watching this thread. Will also post if anything conclusive happens.

To everyone who has experienced this issue:

The next time it happens, take note of what you were doing just before the volume dropped, even going back a few steps. Take note of whether a computer was connected, and whether AX8-Edit was running and whether it was communicating with the AX8. Gather up all that info and post it here in this thread.That'll give us a crowd-sourced cluster of data points, and that can only help.

Perhaps a dumb thought (I have had a few). Perhaps a volume pedal attached to the preset?
That’s worth considering. Everyone: next time it happens to you, take note of whether the preset you landed on has an expression pedal attached, and what it’s attached to.

That’s worth considering. Everyone: next time it happens to you, take note of whether the preset you landed on has an expression pedal attached, and what it’s attached to.
I was thinking that if the pedal is rocked back slightly then any movement might cause it to engage. Just a thought.

I was thinking that if the pedal is rocked back slightly then any movement might cause it to engage. Just a thought.
The level change is bigger than what would be caused by a slight pedal movement.

ive had similar issues on the encoders where things would randomly change without me moving them. For me it is usually the treble encoder.

ive had similar issues on the encoders where things would randomly change without me moving them. For me it is usually the treble encoder.
that's a different issue. spin the encoder to free it from its "in between values" position.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom