Wish Output Scene Levels during Scene Swap

is9582

Power User
I'd like to see the Output Block's Scene Levels directly linked to their associated scenes in a preset.

I decided to swap some scenes around in a preset, and I just about jumped out of my skin when I played my guitar while moving between the new layout of scenes. I'd forgotten that I'd used the Scene Levels in the Output Block to balance the different scenes. I suppose the few times I've used the Scene swap feature before, I'd been on presets where each scene was already leveled in relation to the other scenes, without utilizing the Output Scene leveling.

Please let me know if there are any hidden minefields that I'm overlooking.

Cheers,
Lee

ps I did a cursory search and didn't see any previous postings on this issue.

I think it's a good idea because I also use the Output Block's Scene Levels and when duplicating a scene would like to see that level also be copied.

But, as an alternate idea, I just experimented using CS per Scene and a Control Switch on the Output Block's master level with the individual scene's levels set to 0db. The Control Switch uses 0db for a minimum and 3db for the maximum, then I set the scene On/Off/Last setting to ON for the scenes being boosted. When copying a scene that is set ON in the table, that state is copied also, and when swapping the On/Off/Last moves with the scene, which seems to solve this wish even better.

Last edited:
I've been experimenting using the alternate of CS per Scene and a Control Switch on the Output Block, and really like it. I set up the output block and saved it to the block library, then went through about twenty presets and converted about fifteen; The remaining five are set up to be used like a single-channel amp so the level and volume controls are all on the guitar.

I like it so well I'm going to create a template using this.

I think it's a good idea because I also use the Output Block's Scene Levels and when duplicating a scene would like to see that level also be copied.

But, as an alternate idea, I just experimented using CS per Scene and a Control Switch on the Output Block's master level with the individual scene's levels set to 0db. The Control Switch uses 0db for a minimum and 3db for the maximum, then I set the scene On/Off/Last setting to ON for the scenes being boosted. When copying a scene that is set ON in the table, that state is copied also, and when swapping the On/Off/Last moves with the scene, which seems to solve this wish even better.
I think your alternate suggestion has merit as well. I’m not sure it would need to be one or the other? If completely building a preset from start to finish, it would be easy enough to have a plan so my suggestion would be mute. There are occasions where I’ll edit a preset made by others, that require more effort to work, without using the output scene levels.

I've been experimenting using the alternate of CS per Scene and a Control Switch on the Output Block, and really like it. I set up the output block and saved it to the block library, then went through about twenty presets and converted about fifteen; The remaining five are set up to be used like a single-channel amp so the level and volume controls are all on the guitar.

I like it so well I'm going to create a template using this.
I’ll have to give your idea a run too. Always like having options. 👍

This is a good idea, makes sense.

However, I don't think the output block is a good place to control scene levels, because it affects delay and reverb trails. Leads to unnatural jumps or cuts sometimes, depending on what's going on.

I typically control scene level mostly in the amp block, but there are more scenes than amp channels, so that's awkward too. Sometimes I use two amp blocks, for separate channels per scene, which of course has other advantages too. Disadvantage is that it uses more CPU, in somewhat short supply on my lowly Mk I.

Last edited:
This is a good idea, makes sense.

However, I don't think the output block is a good place to control scene levels, because it affects delay and reverb trails. Leads to unnatural jumps or cuts sometimes, depending on what's going on.

I typically control scene level mostly in the amp block, but there are more scenes than amp channels, so that's awkward too. Sometimes I use two amp blocks, for separate channels or scene, which of course has other advantages too. Disadvantage is that it uses more CPU, in somewhat short supply on my lowly Mk I.
Yeah, I hear you. I try not to handle my scene levels there either, but there are those times where that is IMHO the best method (or at least the quickest and least amount of effort).

Back
Top Bottom