Output LVL when recording (Headroom)

Schiicksaal

Hi all!

Hope I don‘t ask a FAQ...
I didn‘t found any informations about it;;

I record my guitar via Axe Fx3 - USB - PC - DAW (Cubase)

Now, I read much about Headroom and you shouldn’t record (go in the channelat full volume (they were more talking about VST‘s)

whats about the Guitar like in my example above?
Actually I go for a Signaloutput near 0DB at the Outputblock, is that the way to go?

-Or should I screw it down on the Amp (in Axe Fx) to a certain point like -14db.

-Or is the way to go - leave it at 0db and make a Inputgain in the guitar channel at my DAW?

-Or do I overthink this whole thing way too much:sweatsmile:

/Greets

Hi all!

Hope I don‘t ask a FAQ...
I didn‘t found any informations about it;;

I record my guitar via Axe Fx3 - USB - PC - DAW (Cubase)

Now, I read much about Headroom and you shouldn’t record (go in the channelat full volume (they were more talking about VST‘s)

whats about the Guitar like in my example above?
Actually I go for a Signaloutput near 0DB at the Outputblock, is that the way to go?

-Or should I screw it down on the Amp (in Axe Fx) to a certain point like -14db.

-Or is the way to go - leave it at 0db and make a Inputgain in the guitar channel at my DAW?

-Or do I overthink this whole thing way too much:sweatsmile:

/Greets
Leave it at 0dB on the VU meter, iirc that corresponds roughly to -15dBFS

Regarding the Axe... tickle the red... or slightly less. Regarding the DAW I would target -9 to -12 dBFS with peaks at -6 to -3. There you want no red.

0VU = 0dBu = -18dBFS R68 EBU (European Broadcast Standard) and 0VU = +4dBu = -20dBFS RP155 SMPTE (American Motion Picture Standard)

Most important thing I would remember is digital is very forgiving. Don't overthink it. A decent signal from your Axe into a 'non-clipping' decent signal into your DAW will give good results. If you notice problems... then adjust.

Leave it at 0dB on the VU meter, iirc that corresponds roughly to -15dBFS

i totally „forgot“ that they corresponds (or better I didn‘t realise that this is a VU meter....):sweat:.This Topic makes me so confused. (Digital/analog/dbfs/Lufs/)

but yea now I think, it makes sense in my head🥳

Correction to my previous post: 0dB on the VU meter of the axe fx corresponds to -12 dBFS in Cubase

Back
Top Bottom