Output levels clipping since FW17

Muzza_Boogie

Experienced
Hey all, curious as to whether anyone else has a lot of patches now clipping the output? Some quite badly eg I'll Gotten Gain. I have tried resetting and going into the amp to deselect and reselect to no avail.
Have I missed something to bring things back down a notch or do I have to manually bring them down?
If it's a stupid question I'm glad I asked it first :)

Loving the axefx!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I had the same issue on amps where the negative feedback is now 10 as a default.
on some I just turned down the master a bit and the output level, on a few others I turned the negative feedback down to 5
and problem solved.

The USA-models in the Axe-Fx seem to have become much louder since FW 17. I just turned the level knob way down.

Some factory patches clip. But imho it's not just after installing fw17. The fix is easy enough. Just dial down the amp block level.

Something else I notice, indeed after installing fw17, is that a few factory patches give cpu warnings. ABCD...(something or other) and Echo Deva come to mind.

Mine are clipping like crazy and I feel like I have to turn my usa models WAY down about -22 or so. The problem I have then, is I have a LOT less headroom going to my Matrix and 2x12...

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

Mine are clipping like crazy and I feel like I have to turn my usa models WAY down about -22 or so. The problem I have then, is I have a LOT less headroom going to my Matrix and 2x12...

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

First, make sure power amp modeling is not turned off. Second, the level in the amp block has nothing to do with "headroom going to your Matrix...", whatever that means.

PA is on, but what I mean is that I have to turn the amp level way down to not clip out 1, but now have to turn out 2 and matrix levels way up to compensate compared to before.

PA is on, but what I mean is that I have to turn the amp level way down to not clip out 1, but now have to turn out 2 and matrix levels way up to compensate compared to before.

That doesn't make any sense. Something is wrong with your preset.

Ok thanks. I've been using the same preset configuration for 3 yrs, but I'll go back and take a look at it.

I note my cpu is up and im getting crackling Im going in and deleting blocks im not using say compressor or pitch shift for whammy and removing them to lower cpu usage
I also read you might have to bring down the gain some to stop clipping in global I read that on wiki so tried that it seems to help then just bring volume back up out front..

Had some luck doing that I read that in wiki hope im doing the right thing..
Some of my plexi settings are whack now but slowly getting them dialed back in ...
I really am lost but reading alot and proceeding slowly and making note of where I was at then trying these changes...

I dont want to be messing about and screw something up worse but No other choice if you want to play.
one amp at a time... get that fixed set it in stone move too the next one..
I also noted usb takes up some space if unplugged it drops the cpu usage some but anything over 93 here is giving the
crackle noise sounds like vinyl record crackle..

Soon as the clipping is lowered and cpu usage is dropped it seems to stop.
my limited depth on the situation.

I am definitely having the red light blinking like crazy since this latest update. Not every preset, but some about blow my computer monitors and make me s*it my pants when I turn to them.

I originally had done the "Update All Amps" or whatever that is but ended up not sounding as good so redid the firmware update. Not a huge deal but just curious why some presets are louder.

BTW, can someone explain the difference between "UPDATE ALL AMPS" and whatever the other update option is adjacent that one? I think it is called "UPDATE ALL AMPS PRESETS" or something like that.

It's strange because when you turn down Amp Level to compensate for the increased amp volume, you should end up with the same output level from the grid, and not have to turn up Out 2 and/or the Matrix.

I note my cpu is up and im getting crackling Im going in and deleting blocks im not using say compressor or pitch shift for whammy and removing them to lower cpu usag

If you have presets with controllers attached to Chorus or Flanger, then the CPU will much higher.
Upcoming v17.01 will fix this.

It's strange because when you turn down Amp Level to compensate for the increased amp volume, you should end up with the same output level from the grid, and not have to turn up Out 2 and/or the Matrix.

That's not the case though. Out 1 is clipping horribly. My usa level used to be about -11 and not clip out 1 w a null filter engaged at 3.0 for a lead boost. I now have to bring the amp level down to -22 to prevent clipping without the filter. Now the overall volume at out 2 is much lower than it was pre update. It's really weird, but I'll be going back to the drawing board.

Thanks for the replies, looks like a patch by patch level fix. I've never had this issue before and even reflashed twice and once from a fresh download to make sure.

When there are updates things get changed. You either roll with it or do not update. I was on FW14 until last Thursday.

My advice is if you have a preset acting wanky.... don't try to fix it cause it could just be that the data is corrupt and you could just end up wasting your time only to have it wank out on you again. Best bet is to rebuild it.

Back
Top Bottom