Output level

guitardoc

Experienced
The sound guy who manned the FOH at our latest show asked me before the show what the dB output of my AF2 was - and he caught me unable to answer...

I had all blocks and stuff at 0 dB apart from the amp block(s) which were at -20dB in various presets (using the Dumble ODS clean with master at 10 and drive at 2-3). The output level knob was at about 10 o'clock.

Is there a way to tell the output?

I'm sure someone will chime in here, but it is my understanding that microphones have the weakest "loudness" signal, and therefore, the mixer channels are designed to interact with their low output. Next on the loudness would be an instrument output, like a bass guitar plugged directly into a channel, and the loudest would be the pro gear +4 output - axe fx, cassette decks (I'm showing my age), pro CD players, etc.

Therefore, the mixer channels have a PAD button, that reduces the input sensitivity of the channel (which is designed to accept the weak microphone signal strength) so that it can cope with +4db pro audio gear hot output levels.

Without a PAD switch, the sound guy should turn the input channel's gain all the way down, have you play, and gently turn up your channel. It might be quite a bit lower in comparison to the other inputs he is mixing that day.

Isn't it 0dBu = 0.775V ?
what did he say?

The sound guy who manned the FOH at our latest show asked me before the show what the dB output of my AF2 was - and he caught me unable to answer...

he was probably asking if the output was Line Level, or Mic Level, not necessarily the actual dB output of your presets.

as stated above, the Axe-Fx is Line Level. from there, you still have to balance your output with the mixer's input gain etc. but it gets you started in the correct range on the mixer.

what did he say?

he was probably asking if the output was Line Level, or Mic Level, not necessarily the actual dB output of your presets.

as stated above, the Axe-Fx is Line Level. from there, you still have to balance your output with the mixer's input gain etc. but it gets you started in the correct range on the mixer.
LOL i read 4.0 dBu
Sorry ^^

Gain staging at the board is controlled via the input trim and/or input pad. Many boards have different inputs for mic and line level or a mic/line level input switch. I'd be surprised if someone asked me that question also.

Back
Top Bottom