output level knob setting with Matrix Amp?

Originally we'd say max the Matrix volumes and then control the overall volume from the Axe but when the "zipper" noise of the II came into play (albeit lessened a lot now) we said increase the Axe's volume and back off on the Matrix so you've got a little headroom if you need to increase volume during the gig. It will depend on how loud you set your patches but I tend to set my Axe on about 12 o'clock and the Matrix about 3 o'clock.

I have the AFX maxed, and use the Matrix to control volume.

I do however have the overall signal level capped using the global EQ/Patch and amp volume so that when the Matrix is maxed as well its still only putting out the power my cab can handle (currently 120w)

Aha, I'm glad this has come up as I've never really known.

IIRC the YouTube "How to set up your Matrix amplifier" suggests you turn the amp volume to 12:00 and do everything else on the Axe-FX. I've been doing this but have found myself having to turn the Axe-FX output up very high.

I have a gig tomorrow night so I'll try putting the Matrix up full [ish] and do the rest with the Axe-FX

I remember reading that the Axefx puts out a ton of signal and could overload a power amps input. I guess maxing the matrix and using the axefx as volume control would at worst only introduce a little extra noise?

Back
Top Bottom