Output level - in db??

paulmapp8306

Fractal Fanatic
Im trying to match my Power amp to the Axe. It has two levels - -10dbu and 0 dbu.

Now i know there are SO many ways to effect the output level of the exe, but as a guide, with the patch lelel at unity, the global EQs at 0db, and the Output volume (via 1/4 Jack) full - what is the output level? I know the XLR O/P is hotter (by 4db?) but whats the Jack OP.

I dont want to overdrive the Power amp (by putting too hot a signal into the -10db input) but I want to get the most (at max) volume out.

Ive tried to do it by ear, but not sure im getting it right.

Most I/Ps ive seen before are -10 and +4 so dont know where the 0db comes from. Im assuming though that I need to set the amp to 0db (the quiet setting) - just need some kind of confirmation.

paulmapp8306 said:
Im trying to match my Power amp to the Axe. It has two levels - -10dbu and 0 dbu.

Now i know there are SO many ways to effect the output level of the exe, but as a guide, with the patch lelel at unity, the global EQs at 0db, and the Output volume (via 1/4 Jack) full - what is the output level?
With no signal present at the input, there is no output other than the unit's noise floor....

I dont want to overdrive the Power amp (by putting too hot a signal into the -10db input) but I want to get the most (at max) volume out.
Set it at 0dB. The Axe-Fx will easily be able to drive the power amp well beyond the clip point.

Thanks Jay. Thought it would be 0db.

I know no IP = no OP. I also know that if the IP to the amp is high, the OP will be more (or at least will try to be more) than the stated OP valve (in my case 50 Watts) - and if the IP is low the OP wont reach the 50 Watts.

As the Power amp is a VHT 2:50:2 valve amp - it doesnt have clip LEDs (obviously) but I want to run it clean - that is I dont want the power tubes to add distortion/clip.

Basically I want to run it so with the Axe on full, and the Power amp on full, I get the 50Watts clean power out (I know I may have to adjust the global OP level either up or down to achieve this) - but setting the VHT PA to the correct IP setting is the first step in achieving this.

I would think the only way your going to achieve this is to use a spectrum analyzer or some kind of signal level meter, inject a given input signal to the Axe to give you a known output level at a specific setting in the Axes output level parameters. To hit the VHT with the correct levels your going to need to know how much input level the VHT can take before power amp distortion takes place in order to get the desired output free of distortion with the power amp wide open and that whole mess will change as you change presets. A view meter between the Axe and power amp would help you keep things where they need to be. Might be time to call Steve and pick his brain :ugeek: All this babble is totally my unprofessional opinion and needs to be taken with a grain of salt :? .

Back
Top Bottom