Output EQ

Fatjac

Inspired
Hi All,

I am in the process of changing my gigging rig from a JVM410H, Orange 2x12 & FX8 to using my Axe FX with an SLA2 and the same orange cab. I also want add another 2x12 cab to use the set up in stereo.

So, with that in mind, I have been experimenting. The Orange cab with Vintage 30's sounds a bit bassy, boomy and muddy whilst the second cab, a Marshall 1936, has GT12T-75's in it and they sound tinny, harsh and abrasive.

No probs I thought I'll adjust the Output EQ on each channel and see how I get on. The Orange cab is on channel 1 of the amp so I adjusted the EQ and it sounded a lot better. Next I set about adjusting the EQ for Output 2. The second cab still sounded crap.

Back to the manual and tried again. Getting nowhere fast. However I noticed that the EQ for Output 1 is affecting both cabs. This can't be right I thought but perhaps it is? Further inspection revealed that the XLR outputs from the Axe are both channel 1 hence the reason.

At the moment I can't seem to find a way around this. What I want is for EQ1 to adjust cab1 and vice versa.

Is this possible?

Gary

im running the Axe through a matrix gt800 into two 4x12 mesa cabs, at one point one of the cabs was a marshall and i never had to adjust the output eq to make sound good. i realize these settings are there to shape your sound the exact way you want, but i personally have not got this far. the eq setting on the amp block were enough to shape my sound. i've had it for about 1 year.

are the cab sims off?

rod

Thanks. Yes cab sims are off. The main crux of the question is not whether the cab sound good or not but if I can have separate EQ for each output to the power amp so as to adjust each cab individually.

ok, i understand now. this is past my capabilities :) .. i may have some suggestions though

are you running your preset with 1 amp block?

if so, add a second amp block and pan one right and the other left. this way i believe you would have control over each amp blow that is panned to each one of your cabs. not sure if this would work, but you might give it a try

I don't remember the name, but there's a global setting that lets you echo Output 1 to Output 2 that should do the trick. If not, you could insert an Effects Loop block in parallel near the end of your chain to route your signal to Output 2.

what you need to do, is make sure echo out 1 to out 2 is turned on and then use output 1 left for one speaker and output 2 right for the other speaker. then you can use global eq 1 for one speaker and global eq 2 for the other. no need to use the fxl block

ok, i understand now. this is past my capabilities :) .. i may have some suggestions though

are you running your preset with 1 amp block?

if so, add a second amp block and pan one right and the other left. this way i believe you would have control over each amp blow that is panned to each one of your cabs. not sure if this would work, but you might give it a try

Thanks I have tried this and, yes, it works! So some more tweaking (never ending is it?) and I'll get it working as I want now that I have the idea of how it operates. Now I can put an EQ block into each channel.

Marshall2553 and Simeon, thanks. I have had a look at the manual and tried this but I think that it just duplicates the output so I won't get stereo effect. Just the same in both speakers. Perhaps I am misunderstanding it?

sweet, good to know it works. a while back i was thinking of doing this, but maybe my ADD kicked in and i moved to something else lol.

"and then use output 1 left for one speaker and output 2 right for the other speaker"

Just curious, Simeon. Why do you feel it's necessary to use Out 1, LEFT, and Out 2, RIGHT? Couldn't you use either L or R, in either output, to achieve the goal?

I think you misunderstood. Left from out 1 and right from out 2. Jack outputs.

I'm having trouble getting my head around this. I've read it a few times and can't quite see what you mean. I appreciate the help though & I'll keep trying it. If you have time to explain further I'd be grateful.

OK. Is this it...

Echo duplicates the signal exactly to the other output...you then select the balance control on output 1 to Left & vice versa.

yes. the two outputs have independent global eq's. you send out 1 left and out 2 right to the poweramp. this preserves the stereo image and allows you to eq each speaker independently. you don't need to use any pan, balance, fxl blocks, dual amps or anything else. just connect it up, set the eq and off you go.

nb - the eq's i'm talking about here are the global eq's. hit the global button on the front of the axe and page right. you'll see one for out 1 and another for out 2

I've only skipped through this but could another option be just wiring your 2x12 in stereo? I've done this with a 4x12 before and it isn't too difficult.
Just a thought :)

You could do that, Ben. The stereo image wouldn't be very wide,though. It would be convenient! Some companies have this switching option on their 2-12 and 4-12 cabs.

yes. the two outputs have independent global eq's. you send out 1 left and out 2 right to the poweramp. this preserves the stereo image and allows you to eq each speaker independently. you don't need to use any pan, balance, fxl blocks, dual amps or anything else. just connect it up, set the eq and off you go.

nb - the eq's i'm talking about here are the global eq's. hit the global button on the front of the axe and page right. you'll see one for out 1 and another for out 2

Thanks again. Well explained. I have it now.

I've only skipped through this but could another option be just wiring your 2x12 in stereo? I've done this with a 4x12 before and it isn't too difficult.
Just a thought :)

Thanks, yes it would work but, as Muttonhead says, the stereo spread would not be enough. Also the power handling of the speakers would be less which would be a major factor as the amp is already more powerful than either cab.

Back
Top Bottom