Output Comp GR meter makes no sense to me

deathbyguitar

Power User
When using the Amp block's output comp, I notice that the gain reduction meter's base number increases when I increase "Output Comp Amount". For example, if I put it on 5, the value will be 13.3 instead of 0. When I'm playing, the gain reduction meter decreases but it's still showing positive numbers instead of negative numbers.

This seems like a bug to me unless I'm missing something obvious. I realize "use your ears" applies regardless, but I can't be the only one who's noticed this.

You're expecting the gain reduction to show a negative number? The gain is reduced by a positive value... If your gain starts at 0, your must reduce it by 5 to get to negative 5.

I believe the meter is intended to show the amount of reduction, not the gain level.

You're expecting the gain reduction to show a negative number? The gain is reduced by a positive value... If your gain starts at 0, your must reduce it by 5 to get to negative 5.

I believe the meter is intended to show the amount of reduction, not the gain level.

The gain reduction meter in the compressor block displays negative numbers for gain reduction and the base number is 0 when you're not playing anything. I'll probably post screenshots when i get home.

The gain reduction meter in the compressor block displays negative numbers for gain reduction and the base number is 0 when you're not playing anything. I'll probably post screenshots when i get home.
Ok... I'm only going by memory at the moment, so that would be good ;)

no gain reduction when you're not playing, gain reduction while playing. Sounds correct.
The issue is that the metering is different with the Output Comp in the amp block than how the Compressor block shows it. They're both showing gain reduction, just that the Output Comp's meter is way harder to interpret. I'll probably just make a video about it after work.

Quantum 7.02:

The Gain Reduction meter now shows the total gain including the makeup gain.

Back
Top Bottom