Output Clip Lights

firmani99

Inspired
Some of my patches flicker the clip lights on my Axe. What is the best way to tell which block is doing it? Do you guys automatically go to your amp block and turn it down? Your cab block? Is there a way to figure out how to optomize the output levels of each block? Or a way to see which one is actually turned up too high?

The amp block can cause audible clipping even when you reduce the level in a following block and you don't get a red lighting led. So yes, turning down the amp block is a good idea.

Oh yes, you asked the way to notice that clipping. It's easily audible when you're listening closely if it's there. You might not notice it when you are just tweaking other details of a sound and don't focus especially on clipping.

Some of my patches flicker the clip lights on my Axe. What is the best way to tell which block is doing it? Do you guys automatically go to your amp block and turn it down? Your cab block? Is there a way to figure out how to optomize the output levels of each block? Or a way to see which one is actually turned up too high?
generally speaking, all blocks will have its Level parameter close to 0 dB (nominal), except for Amp and Drive blocks. (tons of exceptions obviously).

so as mentioned above, it's typically the Amp block that's the source of the most level. just reduce that until it stops clipping. the Amp block can and will mostly be negative values, sometimes as low as -20 dB. this is just how it works with Gain levels and Master volume, etc.

check out these videos that discuss output clipping and using the VU meter to balance everything:

http://axefxtutorials.com/2014/09/why-are-my-axe-fx-clip-lights-turning-on-what-is-clipping/

When I put a patch together I start with amp and cab, set the level with the vu meter to be on the line when I strum a full chord(I use an open E chord mostly) then as I add effects I bypass and un bypass them to keep the same level with them on or off( always comparing with the vu meter). when all that is done I add a solo boost by what ever means I want for that patch of about 3 db( mostly I use the output block for this with a lead scene).

Back
Top Bottom