Output #2

nota

I'm using Output 1 ---> XLR ---> Desktop monitors for my interface/USB audio, and I'd like Output 2 to go to my FRFR speaker. I tried a simple TS cable and it was rather noisy, but then I tried a TRS ---> XLR cable and it was far less noisy. Granted it was thicker and shorter, but why does this work if Output 2 is unbalanced?

Is this the best way to use USB audio with a FRFR at the same time?

I'm using Output 1 ---> XLR ---> Desktop monitors for my interface/USB audio, and I'd like Output 2 to go to my FRFR speaker. I tried a simple TS cable and it was rather noisy, but then I tried a TRS ---> XLR cable and it was far less noisy. Granted it was thicker and shorter, but why does this work if Output 2 is unbalanced?

Is this the best way to use USB audio with a FRFR at the same time?
First, we need to know what you mean by "noise." Is it hiss, or ground loop hum, or static, or something else?

Output 2 is Humbuster-capable. A three-cunductor cable could act as a less-than-ideal Humbuster cable, which would reduce grounding hum. Depending on how that cable is wired, it could actual be a Humbuster cable.

It was just a long, cheap, standard guitar cable, hiss and pops kinda stuff. I wasn't really surprised, but changing the cable was so much quieter!

The other cable is just a standard balanced TRS to XLR, as far as I know. I'm only using the "L" output on Output 2 to the FRFR.

It was just a long, cheap, standard guitar cable, hiss and pops kinda stuff.
That's...unusual. You wouldn't expect a bad cable carrying a line-level signal to cause hiss and pops. A loose connection, maybe?

Back
Top Bottom