Output 2 volume clipping

The_Kid

Experienced
So I have my patches set up for running FRFR. I for the most part run effects in parallel with only a single 'input/output' in my chain connected to the ends.

I run all my patches with the mixer turned down 5db (page 3, I believe when viewing the grid). Output 2, I had setup to go to my power amp and then to my cab. Due to the difference in volumes, I had Output 2 boosted to +4db, in order to not have to dime the output 2 knob as I only had a DCM150 power amp, good enough to monitor me.

Since I have sold my 'real' gear, and just run direct now...I have some patches that are clipping Output 2 only. I have output 2 turned back down to 0db, but still get a clip light. I dont understand how output 2 is clipping when I'm not sending anything to that.

Or am I missing something?

I would like to hook up my talk box to output 2 as I like running my own preamps, but I wanna make sure I have this volume level figured out first.

Yes, my output eq's are always flat. I generally would only change output 1 to help with playing through our full PA, but then when i come home during the week to tweak, I readjust patches and reset global eq so I have a fresh starting point again for the next show.

Output 2 I havent ever adjusted the EQ cause patches were designed through my cab initially.

I guess what I dont understand is nothing is 'routed' to output 2...

....second thought, if global 'copy output 1 to 2' is set...could that be it? But wouldnt both outputs clip at same time?

yes, it is/was set to +4db higher...but...if I'm not sending anything to output 2, would it still be clipping? It not enough that i'm getting horrible audio distortion from it, but I dont like to push things to the limit like that. And I have also noticed that its only on my cleaner/crunchier channels....

I guess I just find it odd that only output 2 is clipping, not output 1

This is with Copy Out 1 to 2 enabled and no FXL block in the preset? The only thing that should cause one to clip before the other is a difference in global EQ settings. Check them again, including the main level sliders. Make sure the Out 1 clip LED works too if you haven't seen it light recently.

yes, it is/was set to +4db higher...but...if I'm not sending anything to output 2, would it still be clipping? It not enough that i'm getting horrible audio distortion from it, but I dont like to push things to the limit like that. And I have also noticed that its only on my cleaner/crunchier channels....

I guess I just find it odd that only output 2 is clipping, not output 1

Didn't you just say you had 'copy output 1 to 2' activated? If Output 2 is clipping, you are sending audio to it. Just lower its output the same as you did for Output 1.

Back
Top Bottom