Output 2 to Balanced inputs cable need advice

Valhalla

I have the XLII+ stereo Outputs 2 going to an Eventide H8000 analog 1+2 inputs using unbalanced cables. It works but noisy.
I'd like to try a TRS or XLR connector for the H8000 inputs in the hope that it would reduce noise.
I have balanced wire, TRS and XLR connectors here.
If anyone has experience with this type of issue and can advise as to reducing noise and how to wire these plugs, I'd much appreciate it.
Thanks!

Output 2 jacks on the Axe II are unbalanced but do support Humbuster cables. You can make them from balanced TRS cables by shorting the ring and sleeve contacts on the H8000 end of the cable. Axe FX side is normal TRS wiring.

You can use TS or use a jumper wire to short the ring and sleeve contacts in a TRS plug. Both work the same. Benefit of the jumper approach is you can always cut out the jumper and reuse the cable as a normal balanced TRS cable later if needed. Just make sure you mark the modified end if you do use TRS plug. The shorted TRS or TS plug goes to the receiving device.

It depends on whether the noise is ground hum or something else.

I've put the H8000 in my mixer's aux sends using TRS-XLR sends and XLR-TRS returns to mixer channels.
Also in series Axe FX XLR outs >> H8000 TRS in, XLR outs>>TRS into mixer.
Both were noticeably quieter than when I tried Out 2 TS>>TS in to H80000. That's when I heard the hiss. Lowering the H8000's analog input levels even by ~5dB made a significant reduction in hiss.
I'll have to make a couple of cables and hear what happens.
It would have been better for Outs 2 to be balanced/unbalanced like in a desktop mixer. For sending to stereo rack processors.
Thanks.

It would have been better for Outs 2 to be balanced/unbalanced like in a desktop mixer. For sending to stereo rack processors.
Thanks.
what about those who plug into real amps? Balanced cables do nothing there. Humbuster should help in your setup.

the Axe-Fx III was expanded to have Balanced Outputs on Out 2, as well as 2 additional outputs for Humbuster. i think the design of the Axe2 had the space it had, and Humbuster was developed to help both cases.

@mr_fender That info is very helpful.
I've ordered a pair of Neutrik TS plugs for the unbalanced side.
But, for future reference, if I need to unbalance a trs plug, do the cold neg wire and ground wire get grounded together on one sleeve point, and the jumper wire gets soldered onto the ring contact and different sleeve point? Sorry for the awkward expression. Any advice is much appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom