Output 2 setup

WillieD

Inspired
I reviewed the manual but couldn’t quite tell what the right option is. I’m sure the group of experts here can help.

I am using Output 1 to run to FOH. I would like to use Output 2 to connect to my FRFR speaker. In looking at the settings on the FM3, should the Boost/Pad be set at 0, or should I change that level for best sound? I noticed as I move it from 0 to 18 the output level raises, and the background noise gets quieter. I currently have it set at 12.

Also, is it best to run the overall Output 2 level at unity gain or does it not really matter in this scenario? I currently have it set around 70% volume.

I only ask because to my ears it does not sound as clear/loud to me when I’m using Output 2 as compared to FOH. I am using this setup in a loud heavy rock band scenario. But it may just be me thinking or hearing a problem when there’s not. Which is entirely possible. I guess I could also just use Output 1 to run to my FRFR, and maybe in the end that is the simplest solution.

Are you sure? Boost/Pad should have no effect on volume.
I know the manual says it should have no effect on volume but I swear I saw an increase. I am using copy output 1 to output 2. I'll check again...but either way I'll leave it at 0 and adjust the volume difference accordingly.

Thanks to everyone for the help!

You can also put a boost at the very end of your chain for solos and take Output 2 just prior to that boost - that way your FOH gets the boost for a solo but your in-ears or floor monitor doesn't.

Did you add Output 2 block to your preset? That overrides the "copy" behavior, so could account for a level difference.
That's a great point. I did add the Output 2 block in my preset. I'll try it without adding the block. Thanks for that tip!

Did you add Output 2 block to your preset? That overrides the "copy" behavior, so could account for a level difference.
This is an interesting statement, and maybe the answer to my problem tonight with Output 2 level into my 2 FRFRs. I was trying out some AustinBuddy and Fremen presets tonight which contain both Output 1 and Output 2 blocks. I didn’t have any XLR’s tonight, so I just used fractal humbuster cables out of Output 2 on the back of the FM3 Into 2 CLRs, and didn’t have anything coming out of Output 1.

When switching between these purchased (awesome) presets and Factory presets, I noticed two things:

1- Significant volume loss in the purchased presets which all contained both Output 1 and Output 2 blocks;
2. The Preset Leveling tool indicated that Output 2 block was roughly half the level of the Output 1. Both output levels inside the blocks are identical, and both global eq levels are exactly the same.

Using the setup I’ve described (Output 1 to FOH; Output 2 to 2 CLRs), and Output 1 copying to Output 2, WHY would there be such a drastic reduction in volume with the purchased presets containing the 2 Output blocks (roughly half) but not the Factory presets containing just Output 1? I not sure I understand how this may affect the signal, but clearly it does.

I read the manual. Output 2 is desired for unity gain applications. How does that apply to the fact pattern described above? Trying to understand the difference and account for the volume loss.

This is an interesting statement, and maybe the answer to my problem tonight with Output 2 level into my 2 FRFRs. I was trying out some AustinBuddy and Fremen presets tonight which contain both Output 1 and Output 2 blocks. I didn’t have any XLR’s tonight, so I just used fractal humbuster cables out of Output 2 on the back of the FM3 Into 2 CLRs, and didn’t have anything coming out of Output 1.

When switching between these purchased (awesome) presets and Factory presets, I noticed two things:

1- Significant volume loss in the purchased presets which all contained both Output 1 and Output 2 blocks;
2. The Preset Leveling tool indicated that Output 2 block was roughly half the level of the Output 1. Both output levels inside the blocks are identical, and both global eq levels are exactly the same.

Using the setup I’ve described (Output 1 to FOH; Output 2 to 2 CLRs), and Output 1 copying to Output 2, WHY would there be such a drastic reduction in volume with the purchased presets containing the 2 Output blocks (roughly half) but not the Factory presets containing just Output 1? I not sure I understand how this may affect the signal, but clearly it does.

I read the manual. Output 2 is desired for unity gain applications. How does that apply to the fact pattern described above? Trying to understand the difference and account for the volume loss.
If your preset has an Out2 block, that overrides the Copy Out1 function, and that sets up Out2 for unity gain when its level knob is cranked up all the way. If there is no Out2 block present, and you have Out2 set up to copy Out1 globally, then you get full volume on Out2.

Removing the Output 2 block fixed my problem. Now the signal running to my FRFRs from Output 2 sounds identical to Output 1 (which is going to FOH). I just made sure to change the output 2 setting to copy output 1.

Back
Top Bottom