Output 2 knob.

dpeterson

Axe-Master
Interesting issue last night at the gig. I run output 1 to foh and output 2 to my monitor. I plugged up and turned up output 2 and it was almost pulsating. Volume would drop then come back up, very random. Had to run splitters to work around it. Output 1 was fine. Could be a cable inside the unit or something? Is there a replacement part? Send in? Need this taken care of quickly. Anyone else have this issue?

Last edited:
I run the same arrangement, have for years, and never have experienced this. I'd contact support and ask if they have seen the problem in other units. I hope you'll share whatever you find out in case I ever do see something similar!

Interesting issue last night at the gig. I run output 1 to foh and output 2 to my monitor. I plugged up and turned up output 2 and it was almost pulsating. Volume would drop then come back up, very random. Had to run splitters to work around it. Output 1 was fine. Could not be a cable or something? Is there a replacement part? Send in? Need this taken care of quickly. Anyone else have this issue?

I'd be setting up and trouble shooting today and try to recreate to make sure it's the output.
Could be your wedge/power amp. I would isolate, swapping cables and outputs to just be certain.
And if it is the output, and there is absolutely nothing additional in you preset chain going to output 2....I would contact support ASAP.

I Put in a ticket. Need to unload and see if it's a cable or something. Will report back.

I'm not in front of my axe....does output 2 have both xlr and 1/4" available? Of so, make sure you try both. As well as left and right....because if it's just one of the output jacks, you could still use the others and schedule your service to fix that jack at the most convenient time for you.

The only time I have gotten a pulsating sound is turning the volume up and down or if axe-edit is running and you try and use your MFC or front panel

Ok, got everything humped back in and hooked up. Works fine, no issues, same cables everything the same. Now i'm officially scared.

I'd be setting up and trouble shooting today and try to recreate to make sure it's the output.
Could be your wedge/power amp. I would isolate, swapping cables and outputs to just be certain.
And if it is the output, and there is absolutely nothing additional in you preset chain going to output 2....I would contact support ASAP.

I tried all that at the gig, rebooting, cable swaps etc. At first I thought it was the wireless, so I swapped that out for a cable, still did it, then ran out 1 to my monitor, no pumping... working fine, so it's not the wireless, cables or any of that, 1 worked 2 was fluctuating. Come home, hook it up and it's fine. uggh.

I tried all that at the gig, rebooting, cable swaps etc. At first I thought it was the wireless, so I swapped that out for a cable, still did it, then ran out 1 to my monitor, no pumping... working fine, so it's not the wireless, cables or any of that, 1 worked 2 was fluctuating. Come home, hook it up and it's fine. uggh.
Did the pumping happen on Out2 when you were using a cable? (no wireless)

Just wondering if it's the wireless being flakey (and intermittent)....meaning wireless works fine with Out1, and then when you swap a cable...it just starts pumping (and it's the wireless just being intermittent with the pumping and just coincidence that it stopped when you swapped to a different Output.

But if you can confirm that the pumping happened while the wireless was not in the chain....then I'd say wireless is no longer a suspect.

Next thing I'd be wondering is if the monitor (amp) is a possible cause. Maybe swapping from Out2 to Out1 made the monitor 'pop back to working normal'. I know I've had amps (specifically Crown XTI) that have 'changed volume' during the course of use...there was a ribbon cable issue.

If you can say for sure that none of the above are the culprit....I'd be reloading new firmware and possibly rebuilding the preset you were using when you had the issue.

If it does it again go to the VU meter page and watch the Out2 Level readout. The output volume is remotely controlled by the front panel knob. An A/D converter reads the knob position and sets the output volume. If the reading is jumping around then that means the front panel potentiometer could be getting wonky. If not then problem is elsewhere.

Yes, with and without wireless, even had a backup transmitter, and it was doing it. Swapped outputs, no problem, so it has to be the axe. When it was doing it, I would turn the knob and nothing would happen, like up to 12 o'clock, and it was quiet, then blast, and back down. Going to open it up today, and reseat the cables. Might do a full on wipe and reset too.

Thanks for the help.

Yes, with and without wireless, even had a backup transmitter, and it was doing it. Swapped outputs, no problem, so it has to be the axe. When it was doing it, I would turn the knob and nothing would happen, like up to 12 o'clock, and it was quiet, then blast, and back down. Going to open it up today, and reseat the cables. Might do a full on wipe and reset too.

Thanks for the help.

Could also be the ribbon cable. The analog voltage from the pot goes through the ribbon cable to the motherboard where it is then read by the A/D.

If it does it again go to the VU meter page and watch the Out2 Level readout. The output volume is remotely controlled by the front panel knob. An A/D converter reads the knob position and sets the output volume. If the reading is jumping around then that means the front panel potentiometer could be getting wonky. If not then problem is elsewhere.

Will try if it does. Is the knob serviceable with contact cleaner?

Tech support not so helpful, said "My first suspicion would be that it is not the Axe-Fx". Well that was mine too, but it was all related to that knob. I'd twist it up and it should have tore my head off volume wise, and would be the same, then all of a sudden BLAM blasting, then back down without touching it. Almost like it was on a delay or some kind of random thing.

I took the unit apart, and all the cables seemed, down. I unplugged all of them and plugged back and then a dab of hot glue on the connector to make sure it cant come out. Still cant reproduce the problem. I'll keep at it. It's amazing to me it only happened at a gig, i love this shit lol.

I guess plan b would be to get a new front panel board and replace it. Any idea on a cost for this? It's a mark 1 old school vintage model.

Update: talked with support a few weeks ago, they have never heard of it.

2 gigs later and no issue after I took it all apart and reseated the cables. Will report back if it happens again, will get video.

Back
Top Bottom