Output 2 Block - No Sound on Power Up

Hey friends,

Having a weird issue with my AXE III's Output 2 block. If I try to run an acoustic guitar or microphone(with preamp) or any signal into the Axe and route it straight to Output 2, I will not get audible signal via XLR to my interface and speakers.
However, if I power the Axe down (wait 5 seconds) and start it back up, I WILL get signal to my interface and speakers. Really odd unless I'm completely missing something??

I'm seeing signal reach the Output 2 meters in Axe Edit and the Axe itself on start up. It just does not audibly pass the signal until a power down. It does however pass a faint hiss / white noise that I can see on my DAW meter.

-Input 2 set to L
-Output 2 Mode Copy L->R
-Scene Volumes are not adjusted
-changing presets does not give me any signal either.
-FW 11.01
-tried different XLRs for out 2

I have also noticed the signal level on Ouput 2 occasionally goes down in volume and will come back up at points. (signal stays the same on the meters)
Sounds like a bad cable, right? Fresh cables and still happens. All other outputs work just fine. Something like a cap on the output 2 hardware board??

Thanks for your thoughts and insight

Last edited:
Hi Again,

Sorry to be zero help - what's confusing me is that you seem to have worked out a consistent pattern to make this happen, which may indicate it's not hardware at all! Have you tried updating to the latest firmware (after a full backup of course!)?

Thanks
Pauly

Hey friends,

Having a weird issue with my AXE III's Output 2 block. If I try to run an acoustic guitar or microphone(with preamp) or any signal into the Axe and route it straight to Output 2, I will not get audible signal via XLR to my interface and speakers.
However, if I power the Axe down (wait 5 seconds) and start it back up, I WILL get signal to my interface and speakers. Really odd unless I'm completely missing something??

I'm seeing signal reach the Output 2 meters in Axe Edit and the Axe itself on start up. It just does not audibly pass sound until a power down.

-Input 2 set to L
-Output 2 set to Copy L
-Scene Volumes are not adjusted
-changing presets does not give me any signal either.
-FW 11.01
-tried different XLRs for out 2

I have also noticed the signal level on Ouput 2 occasionally goes down in volume and will come back up at points. (signal stays the same on the meters)
Sounds like a bad cable, right? Fresh cables and still happens. All other outputs work just fine. Something like a cap on the output 2 hardware board??

Thanks for your thoughts and insight
what is Output 2 set to Copy L ?

Hi Again,

Sorry to be zero help - what's confusing me is that you seem to have worked out a consistent pattern to make this happen, which may indicate it's not hardware at all! Have you tried updating to the latest firmware (after a full backup of course!)?

Thanks
Pauly

No worries at all any thoughts are appreciated!
I have not uploaded the beta firmware yet as I was holding out for 12, but you may be right and that would be the easiest fix. I'll give it a go.

Output 2 Mode Copy L->R (my mistake on the wording)
ahh ok. just making sure.

all the settings you mentioned wouldn't make a difference with this. do you have a 1/4" cable to try Out 3? it may be a bit quieter because Out 3 and 4 are made that way, but you should get a strong constant signal. just as a test, try Out 3 and use the Out 3 block.

it sounds like a potential hardware issue, but without more detail, it's hard to say for certain.

also you say if you power down then up, it works. well at some point, you powered on the Axe to get it to where it won't work right? is there an amount of time after power on that it stops working correctly? once you reboot and it works, does it work for the remainder of that session? how long is that?

output 3 and 4 work correctly. I did that earlier to troubleshoot and hone in that it was only output 2 and not something dumb I was doing with cables, interface etc.

hard to say on the down time. I went to eat dinner earlier and was gone 30 minutes and came back and no signal.
Yes, it works for the remainder of the time that it is on. I was working on it today for about 3 hours straight. Only issue is the minor (i.e few db's or almost sounds like impedance mismatching?) volume level fluctuation i mentioned every 15 min or so. Again, hard to nail down on the time and I can't get that issue to recreate itself.

There's no controller on the output 2 level is there?
Thanks
Pauly

No worries at all any thoughts are appreciated!
I have not uploaded the beta firmware yet as I was holding out for 12, but you may be right and that would be the easiest fix. I'll give it a go.

There's no controller on the output 2 level is there?
Thanks
Pauly

negative. Also just uploaded beta and let it sit OFF for about 20min. Turned it back on and no output. :(
Flipped the power off and back on after 5 seconds and the signal has returned

I will also add whenever there is no audible output, I am getting a soft hiss/white noise that comes through the channel. That noise does show up on my DAWs meter. When signal is present, there is no hiss / white noise.

Sounds like your interface is doing something.

Do you have a mixer or some powered monitors that you can connect the Axe Fx to directly?

Sounds like your interface is doing something.

Do you have a mixer or some powered monitors that you can connect the Axe Fx to directly?

All other outputs from axe into interface work correctly and consitently.
Problem follows the cable from output 2 to any input on my interface. Same if I bypass the interface into an analog mixer.

Back
Top Bottom