Closed Output 2 as possible source for headphones jack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lecchu

Inspired
In manual we read, that headphones can only monitor Output1.

In my opinion, it would be a good idea to add the option of choosing whether headphones should monitor Output 1 or Output 2.

Why?

Output1 is a balanced connection on XLR connectors. A natural application for this connection is output to a mixer, Power Amp/Cabs or FOH. Intuitively, in this application , we should expect a guitar signal at this output. Guitarists who want to hear only the guitar signal on the headphones use Outpu1 as the source for the headphones jack.

In contrast, Output 2 are implemented on an unbalanced signal on Jack connectors, so the intuitive application is therefore sending the signal at a small distance - to the monitors (cabs) lying on the stage in front of the guitarist. In listening to these, a guitarist might want his signal and some signal from other musicians. He could make such a mix in FM3 by letting Input2 mix containing the signal of only other musicians. Then at Output2 he could mix the guitar signal (Output1) with the mix of other musicians (Input2). This mix he can make in signal patch, on FM3 grid.
Guitarists using IEM (InEars Monitoring) expect exactly the same mix: Output 1 (guitar) + Input 2 (mix of other signal from monitor mikser) > Output2.
If headphones jack could also monitor Output2 (as an option), FM3 users would have a ready mini mixer to adapt their signal to IEM during a concert or during exercises (during exercises on Input 2 we would give e.g. backtracks)

I use Out 1 for my onstage monitors. I send Out 2 1/4” to the FOH because they usually expect a 1/4” for their DI box. Most sound guys I’ve worked with don’t “trust” an XLR cable coming from an effects unit for whatever reason, and feel more comfortable using a DI box. So I’ve gotten in that habit.

I think headphones would be nice to choose which output is sent to them, but in the past it’s been hardwired to Out 1. So either way could actually work, if this wish doesn’t get fulfilled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom