Output 1 position for live performance

I would advise to avoid setting it to 100% because then you cant go higher if you need to. Like the micro tuners on a Floyd Rose bridge, you always want to leave some room to go flatter/sharper… IMHO…
I never would touch what goes to FOH after it's set. If, in a very rare case, I need to use a personal FRFR, I do leave room if I need it.
Gotta read the whole post. What Moke does is proper level setting through the system. In short, 100% is used to set mixer channel trim, then he backs it off to a useable stage level, so there is room to go up without clipping things....
I actually no not move the FOH feed after setting the trim. It stays at 100%. I get whatever I need in my wedge. And FOH does whatever they do.

I never would touch what goes to FOH after it's set. If, in a very rare case, I need to use a personal FRFR, I do leave room if I need it.

I actually no not move the FOH feed after setting the trim. It stays at 100%. I get whatever I need in my wedge. And FOH does whatever they do.
Well, then, I stand corrected....

Last edited:
I run out 1 at noon as many do, but was hoping there might be some numerical indication of the precise output somewhere in the setup area (there isn't as far as I know).

For playing P&W, we rehearse Thursday night, but I often do more fine tuning to my presets between Th & Sunday. When I set up Sunday am, it would be nice to know that I'm at the same output value I was at Thursday night's rehearsal.

I run out 1 at noon as many do, but was hoping there might be some numerical indication of the precise output somewhere in the setup area (there isn't as far as I know).
You can see a corresponding numerical value for OUT 1 with the front panel Setup > Utilities > ADC Levels. However, it's a percentage value for a non-linear taper, so it's mostly useful if you're just seeking repeatable values (as opposed to some kind of dBFS gain staging calculation).

You can see a corresponding numerical value for OUT 1 with the front panel Setup > Utilities > ADC Levels. However, it's a percentage value for a non-linear taper, so it's mostly useful if you're just seeking repeatable values (as opposed to some kind of dBFS gain staging calculation).
Fantastic - exactly what I was after. Thx!

Preset leveling in the output block right? I've been doing that for sure. When we play live I'm going to an X32 at FOH in most cases.
Yes - that's one place to preset level. There is also a menu option for preset leveling that I prefer.

I run the Output knobs (going to FOH) on all my modelers at 100%, and trim at the FOH mixer inputs accordingly. All presets internally leveled to around '0' dB for rhythm scenes. Solo scenes, more 'mids' and/or a couple dB louder. Completely repeatable and never had an issue.

Outputs to a personal FRFR is a different story...

I typically turn the FRFR volume control all the way down, turn the modeler output knob to full, gradually increase the FRFR volume to the highest volume that I would expect to need and/or the highest gain that I can get before unwanted feedback, on my higher-gain presets, which ever comes first. Then back down the modeler output knob to what I actually need in that situation.

Now I can add more if needed, but can't accidentally go too far and hurt any equipment, or my ears.
What are you running your OP at +4 or -10 dB?

On FM3 I run it at about 2 o’clock but will go up or down depending on what FoH wants, then I also have a dedicated microXPDL assigned to output level so I can tweak up or down on the fly, a global ‘plus 4dB’ level boost, and I level all my presets/scenes to the same place except where I purposely want that preset/scene to always be quieter or louder.

For me the key is to maintain good signal to noise ratio (which is not a problem at all with this gear) but then to be able to adjust for the circumstances, including what I’m plugging into, the room, whether I feel like really blasting a particular solo, etc.

I never would touch what goes to FOH after it's set.
You're not the typical guitar player then. :p

I caught one of our guitarists 'sandbagging' his volume during a sound check and he was told if he wanted to continue playing it would stop.

Just curious, does someone make knob covers similar to what @Admin M@ mentioned about taping the knobs to avoid mishaps? Was wondering if a knob cover might prevent the knob from being turned around so that the knob stay facing where you've like to see, not turned around which could cause too loud or too quiet?

If you have a monitor, I find that connecting it to Output 2, while connecting Output 1 to FOH works best. That way I can set my monitor (Output 2) independently so I can hear it, while giving FOH (Output 1) whatever it may need without affecting the volume of my monitor. As far as the Output 1 level, it kind of depends on what the sound person is doing. I always leave some room on Output 1 so I can bump it up if the sound person fails to balance me in the mix.

There are two types of guitarists - those who get caught sandbagging their levels, and those who are good at it LOL
If I make eye contact with the sound dude, point at my ear, then my guitar, and it doesn't get bumped up in the monitors, then I have little choice but to turn my amp up, do I? Actually happened at a gig in Scottsdale years ago. I was trying to play nice, keep stage volume reasonable, and do my job. Dude was more interested in jiggly silicone....

Sooooo glad to be able to send a line out that is not connected to my stage level....

Back
Top Bottom