Output 1 mode Stereo or Sum L/R ?

Lkdog

Power User
Sorry if stupid question. Is there a preferred way?
I had always had my Output mode on Output 1 on Stereo instead of Sum L/R or Copy L/R from Axe Fx3 into a Mackie mixer with two cables.

Is there a best way to setup the cables into the mixer? Should the channels on mixer be hard panned left and right?

I use Austin Buddy presets and Factory presets. AXE F3 L/R out to Mackie mixer out to a stereo pair of Yamaha HS8 monitors and also use headphones.

Any input welcome. Thanks.

Depends on what you are doing with your presets. If you dont use stereo effects, single cable is the answer. Sum LR causes trouble if you have some phase mangling going on, for example enhancer or delay where the one channel of delays is phase inverted: sound huge in stereo but disappears in mono (sum LR).

Copy LR is safe from that, only trouble is now the other channel disappears. If you have pingpong delay, or different amps panned left/right, half of it it's gone.

Stereo and two cables is always correct, only trouble is the two cables and channels needed. If that's what you need, it's perfect

Last edited:
If you want to maintain the stereo image of the preset, set it to Stereo and hard pan the channels on your mixer.

signal going over a cable itself is not left or right, even if it comes from an output labeled "Left" or "Right."

when it goes to the next device, like a mixer, you then determine if that signal goes left or right by panning on the mixer.

if you want the left signal to be left, then pan it left on the mixer, same for right.

Thx guys. Will keep it in stereo. Once in awhile will have a preset with stereo delay.

Back
Top Bottom