Outdoor gigs and led screen

henryrobinett

Fractal Fanatic
How do you deal with outdoor gigs and maintaining the screen. I played a couple of weeks ago one screen went completely blank. Is there a shade, a lid or something that blocks the sun? Any successful methods out there?

Personally, I would just go to Home Depot and get creative. You could e-mail Chad Boston over at Gearbyceba.com and see if he's got any solutions (he does that sort of thing for all the modelers). Just spitballin' here, but I might just get some command strips and then bend some thin aluminum that I cut with tin snips and attach it that way.

Sun hasn't been a problem for the two outdoor gigs I've played with my FM3 so far, but this is what I plan to do if it does become an issue.

Personally, I would just go to Home Depot and get creative. You could e-mail Chad Boston over at Gearbyceba.com and see if he's got any solutions (he does that sort of thing for all the modelers). Just spitballin' here, but I might just get some command strips and then bend some thin aluminum that I cut with tin snips and attach it that way.

Sun hasn't been a problem for the two outdoor gigs I've played with my FM3 so far, but this is what I plan to do if it does become an issue.
Thank you. I have an outdoor gig this Saturday. I'll probably just throw some cloth over it until I need to see the screen. In northern California where I am it's consitently been in the 100s. So it's bound to be a problem.

Thank you. I have an outdoor gig this Saturday. I'll probably just throw some cloth over it until I need to see the screen. In northern California where I am it's consitently been in the 100s. So it's bound to be a problem.
yeah, I've got an outdoor gig this Saturday as well. Maybe I'd be wise to go ahead and follow my own advice in advance...

When direct sun causes screen visibility issues, it's because you're seeing the sun's reflection in the screen. Because you're usually standing directly above the screen, that means that your head is right between the sun and the screen. Any shade that would block the sun would also block your view of the screen. The only fix is to be under a canopy, or to play when the sun is at a steeper angle.

The mini-display tuner mode is a real help here. Or an FC-6, whose main display shows the current preset, scene and tuner. FC-6 main screen don't care about no direct sun. :)

Oh, I initially read this as the sunlight/heat caused a hardware failure. So this was just an obscured vision type event?

When direct sun causes screen visibility issues, it's because you're seeing the sun's reflection in the screen. Because you're usually standing directly above the screen, that means that your head is right between the sun and the screen. Any shade that would block the sun would also block your view of the screen. The only fix is to be under a canopy, or to play when the sun is at a steeper angle.

The mini-display tuner mode is a real help here. Or an FC-6, whose main display shows the current preset, scene and tuner. FC-6 main screen don't care about no direct sun. :)
Well no. I should have been more specific. The screen for two of the switches disappeared where the others did not. So it apparently had nothing to do with the position of my head. he cloth covering idesa was to protect the screen while I'm NOT using it. Before and after sound check, breaks.

Yes. The LED for a switch or two disappeared.
Now I’m confused. Did you lose a couple of mini-displays AND a couple of LEDs, but not the main screen? And they actually stopped working? They weren’t just obscured by sun glare?

Now I’m confused. Did you lose a couple of mini-displays AND a couple of LEDs, but not the main screen? And they actually stopped working? They weren’t just obscured by sun glare?
OK. Sorry. I lost one or two mini displays, not the main screen. Threy stopped showing. They went blank. I don't know that I can say they stopped working. I don't know. I couldn't see them. When I got it home and cooled down the LEDs apeared again. But not in the sun. They gradually went blank. I hope that makes sense.

OK. Sorry. I lost one or two mini displays, not the main screen. Threy stopped showing. They went blank. I don't know that I can say they stopped working. I don't know. I couldn't see them. When I got it home and cooled down the LEDs apeared again. But not in the sun. They gradually went blank. I hope that makes sense.
Ah. Now I get it.

You might have a loose ribbon cable inside. If you're comfortable doing the work, you could open it up and reseat the cables. Otherwise, this sounds like a job for... Fractal support.

Back
Top Bottom