Outboard Tuners

I am sort of leaning in the same direction.

I don't love the Axe tuner, and it has nothing to do with precision, but it has everything to do with ballistics. With the Axe tuner (especially displayed on the FC), I feel like I move the tuning peg and wait for the tuner to stabilize. With the Peterson (that I just got today), there is a real time connection between moving the tuning peg and the movement of the tuner. It feels more trustworthy, and it makes it faster to tune up.

It will not be easy to integrate a strobostomp in my setup, but I am thinking about bringing the Stroboclip (got both) to gigs and just use the Axe for tuning maintenance.
Amen!

I find the Peterson to "settle" on the tuning string super fast - way faster than any chromatic tuner I've ever used. And it's insanely precise - within 1/1000 of a semitone (fret). The Korg "Cylon" unit, and most stomp pedal tuners I've seen, were radically less precise.

Jeff

Let me rephrase that. Is there a technical reason?
As person who plays live. I will encourage you to switch to the internal tuner. It is a more reliable and simplified setup.
And I will argue there is no advantage to a Peterson tuner over the built in one.
I get it there may be a adjustment period. Change is hard….
Let me guess, you've never done an 8-string baritone-scale guitar intonation without a strobe tuner, have you?

The proof's in the pudding!

The OP wants it to be on at all times.

I play live as well and the external tuner fits my setup better. I have the guitar input going into the tuner and out from the tuner to the Axe III which makes cable management easier for me- all cables coming from the pedalboard. I also prefer the display of the Turbo Tuner over the Axe or Peterson tuners (I still have a Strobo Stomp).

I'm not debating whether one is better than the other, there's nothing wrong with the Axe III tuner. You like and use the built in tuner and that's great. It doesn't mean that it's the solution for everyone else using the Axe III.
Everybody has different requirements.

Why does it seem that people who doesn't follow a certain philosophy (or identify with a specific "use case"), automatically think that everybody else's approach is WRONG?

Jeff

I prefer my Peterson stomp over the Fractal tuner, I personally find it suits me better and I can tune quicker with it. I also like having the ability for a total mute that comes before the Fractal. Doesn’t mean the Axe tuner is bad at all, I just prefer something else in my own setup.

I actually use both, the Fractal tuners (at present FM3) and a clip on on all my guitars. Fractal tuner muted gives me the option of looking down or looking left-so, that works for me. Have always done this. why? Who knows?

Everybody has different requirements.

Why does it seem that people who doesn't follow a certain philosophy (or identify with a specific "use case"), automatically think that everybody else's approach is WRONG?

Jeff
I think when folks settle on something they consider economical\easy\less wires\etc they tend to pass it on with a passion. That has been my experience anyway.
I do it myself sometimes-............They mean no harm, only to help. But I understand what you mean perfectly.................

I prefer my Peterson stomp over the Fractal tuner, I personally find it suits me better and I can tune quicker with it. I also like having the ability for a total mute that comes before the Fractal. Doesn’t mean the Axe tuner is bad at all, I just prefer something else in my own setup.
That's my only complaint about the external Peterson tuner. It's either "bypassed" (unmuted) or engaged (muted output).

That's what started me in this thread. I wanted to know how to define an OUT block that sends the dry guitar signal to the tuner, which I want to be "always on", and not interfere with the rest of my signal path going to the PA.

I didn't want the tuner to be in the preset signal path going to the Mains.

Jeff

That's my only complaint about the external Peterson tuner. It's either "bypassed" (unmuted) or engaged (muted output).

That's what started me in this thread. I wanted to know how to define an OUT block that sends the dry guitar signal to the tuner, which I want to be "always on", and not interfere with the rest of my signal path going to the PA.

I didn't want the tuner to be in the preset signal path going to the Mains.

Jeff
If you have the strobostomp HD, it can be on while passing the signal thru

If you have the strobostomp HD, it can be on while passing the signal thru
yea, I have the stroborack (or whatever it's called), and the strobostomp HD, which sits on my main board, integrated into the Axe rig- I have it set for on while passing signal through, and it works great. Also functions as a handy mute switch. I really like having the tuner always on, like the OP.

Back
Top Bottom