Outboard Tuners

demovak

I have a Peterson strobe tuner unit that I love.

I just bought an Axe-FX III and would like to configure it to be "always on" without using a tone-sucking A/B switch before the Axe-FX in the signal chain.

I'm used to an older BOSS GT-Pro where there was a dedicated "TUNER OUT" jack that did a "buffered" signal split so that the tuner jack was split away from the primary signal path right after the input jack to reduce it "coloring" the final output tone.

I don't see an obvious way of doing this with an Axe-FX III without using a dedicated OUT block near the front of the input signal chain on every single preset I wanna setup.

Is there no way of doing this globally?

I see there's "Global Block" feature, which sounded promising, but it doesn't appear to address my scenario.

I love my Peterson strobe tuner, and I'd hate to switch away from something that I've come to know and love day-in and day-out for years.

Suggestions?

I have a Peterson strobe tuner unit that I love.

I just bought an Axe-FX III and would like to configure it to be "always on" without using a tone-sucking A/B switch before the Axe-FX in the signal chain.

I'm used to an older BOSS GT-Pro where there was a dedicated "TUNER OUT" jack that did a "buffered" signal split so that the tuner jack was split away from the primary signal path right after the input jack to reduce it "coloring" the final output tone.

I don't see an obvious way of doing this with an Axe-FX III without using a dedicated OUT block near the front of the input signal chain on every single preset I wanna setup.

Is there no way of doing this globally?

I see there's "Global Block" feature, which sounded promising, but it doesn't appear to address my scenario.

I love my Peterson strobe tuner, and I'd hate to switch away from something that I've come to know and love day-in and day-out for years.

Suggestions?
Is there a reason you cannot use the built in tuner?

Wow, I'm not used to getting a real-world answer in less than five minutes!

I have a rack FocusRite, so the extra OUT's on the Axe-FX are wide open. This is a great solution that might've taken me awhile to come up with on my own.

Thank you for such a speedy response that perfectly solves my problem!

Demo

Is there a reason you cannot use the built in tuner?
He gave his reason here:
I use an external tuner (Sonic Research Turbo Tuner) for a similar reason as well, but I also use mine as a mute switch that's always accessible. I also prefer the display and response of the TT. Doesn't mean there's anything wrong with the Axe III's tuner, just not something everyone chooses to use.

I ditched my outboard tuners once I got my FX3. The built-in tuner is accurate AF and always on. I know you love your Peterson, but love is a many-splendored thing!

I am sort of leaning in the same direction.

I don't love the Axe tuner, and it has nothing to do with precision, but it has everything to do with ballistics. With the Axe tuner (especially displayed on the FC), I feel like I move the tuning peg and wait for the tuner to stabilize. With the Peterson (that I just got today), there is a real time connection between moving the tuning peg and the movement of the tuner. It feels more trustworthy, and it makes it faster to tune up.

It will not be easy to integrate a strobostomp in my setup, but I am thinking about bringing the Stroboclip (got both) to gigs and just use the Axe for tuning maintenance.

He gave his reason here:

I use an external tuner (Sonic Research Turbo Tuner) for a similar reason as well, but I also use mine as a mute switch that's always accessible. I also prefer the display and response of the TT. Doesn't mean there's anything wrong with the Axe III's tuner, just not something everyone chooses to use.
Let me rephrase that. Is there a technical reason?
As person who plays live. I will encourage you to switch to the internal tuner. It is a more reliable and simplified setup.
And I will argue there is no advantage to a Peterson tuner over the built in one.
I get it there may be a adjustment period. Change is hard….

Let me rephrase that. Is there a technical reason?
As person who plays live. I will encourage you to switch to the internal tuner. It is a more reliable and simplified setup.
And I will argue there is no advantage to a Peterson tuner over the built in one.
I get it there may be a adjustment period. Change is hard….
The OP wants it to be on at all times.

I play live as well and the external tuner fits my setup better. I have the guitar input going into the tuner and out from the tuner to the Axe III which makes cable management easier for me- all cables coming from the pedalboard. I also prefer the display of the Turbo Tuner over the Axe or Peterson tuners (I still have a Strobo Stomp).

I'm not debating whether one is better than the other, there's nothing wrong with the Axe III tuner. You like and use the built in tuner and that's great. It doesn't mean that it's the solution for everyone else using the Axe III.

Being able to look down and check how accurate your tuning is in an instant is a powerful tool during a performance. Easier than turning to look at the Axe, wherever that may be, but likely not right in front of you.

I dislike having the my guitar cable going direct to the Axe Fx in a live situation. So I run my guitar to my pedalboard, into a Suhr buffer which splits the signal to a Sonic Research tuner, and the other side goes to the rear of the Axe Fx via a patch/junction box.

I am sort of leaning in the same direction.

I don't love the Axe tuner, and it has nothing to do with precision, but it has everything to do with ballistics. With the Axe tuner (especially displayed on the FC), I feel like I move the tuning peg and wait for the tuner to stabilize. With the Peterson (that I just got today), there is a real time connection between moving the tuning peg and the movement of the tuner. It feels more trustworthy, and it makes it faster to tune up.

It will not be easy to integrate a strobostomp in my setup, but I am thinking about bringing the Stroboclip (got both) to gigs and just use the Axe for tuning maintenance.
I switched to a Peterson strobe tuner about a year ago, after Korg eliminated their rack-mount "Cylon" chromatic tuner, and my old Korg unit of 17 years died.

I instantly fell in love with the Peterson unit. It tracks super-fast, is ultra-precise - even for strange 8-string guitar configurations / intonations, and also has Buzz Feiten "sweetened tunings".

Plus I do a lot of stuff with oddball instruments, which the Peterson has built-in tunings for like mandolins, violins, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a fervent supporter of using "the right tool for the right job". If you're simply playing guitar or bass through the Axe-FX, then the built-in tuner is probably perfect for you unless you have a reason to use a higher-end unit.

I fall into the latter category.

Jeff

Back
Top Bottom