Outboard gear (UAFX golden) W/FM3

Greetings!

I’ve been on the Fractal train for about 6 years now with 20 years of playing guitar. Music is my main source of income/passion. I love everything about the product and the great updates that Cliff and the crew continue to deliver. Along with this great community. The passion for innovation is inspiring!

So, in saying that. I’ve recently ran into a weird problem as of late concerning using OUT2 and IN2 as an effects send with my newly acquired UAFX Golden reverb. Previously, I had the Strymon Big Sky in OUT2 and really dug the tones for 2 years. But, I really used 3 sounds and the G.A.S hit me hard when UAD came out with the Golden reverb. When I compared them in person, I slowly was won over by the depth, dynamics, and way that the Golden melded into the guitar better then the Strymon. So, I traded straight up for a new Golden.

Everything seemed fine when I got it plugged into the send and returns. Was loving every minute of it. So much say I stayed up into the late morning hours of the next day. Then suddenly when I kicked off the reverb a nasty phase issue popped up. Like the signal was passing through in an unpleasant way.

Originally, I had the BS 100%wet with the Kill-Dry and had the routing in parallel. Controlling the mix with out 2. I kept it at line level. Running anywhere from 10-20% on the out 2 knob. Out 1 at 50% to front of house.
I’ve watched videos from Leon Todd and he routes his H9 using rows 2 & 4 but I still get weird phasing issues when verb is kicked off.

Anyway, a real head scratcher!!! In the FM3 manual, it has out 2 and in 2 block just in series with row 2 and that the out 2 knob is unity fully clockwise.

What does this mean in conjunction to how out 1 behaves??? Any help is much appreciated on solving this issue.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Are you running the loop in parallel? Does the phasing issue occur if you mute the Input 2 or Output 2 blocks instead of turning off the pedal?

In parallel. Phasing goes away when input 2 and output 2 are muted.
I believe this has been discussed elsewhere on the forum... I don't used external effects but I think the cause is that you're adding a parallel signal with added latency due to D/A and A/D conversions.

Rather than turn off the external pedal just disable it via the block Bypass instead.

Hope it will work out….. would also rather disable the block bypass ….

Can you let us know how you like the Golden Verb compared to the FM3 verb in High quality ?
I did test is out shortly because a friend of min e bought that verb …. Sounds killer but FM3 can sound at least that good…..

I guess you use it to save CPU on the FM3 rather than not liking the verb from the FM3 ?

Thanks for the suggestions and advice everyone!

To my surprise, upon loading up the new firmware, I’m now able to run just about all I’d need in a kitchen sink preset with the highest reverb setting and still have some power to spare.

So, I returned the Golden and will depend solely on the FM3 for reverbs. I don’t have the annoying phase issue and workaround in doing that.

Honestly, with the new firmware, the FM3 is just killing every single area now. I also downsized from a PT-1 to a Classic JR and my tones have never been better.

Better tones, fatter wallet. Consider me happy!

Hats off to the fractal team for constantly making these products better!!! The new power amp and CF follower upgrades make the tones so much fatter and addicting to play.

Back
Top Bottom