OUT1 and 2 vs OUT 3 and 4 levels

simonp54

Experienced
a while ago i started using out3 for my solid state amp. and made presets with minimal changes...
but now i see a 20dB lower signal on outputs 3 and 4.

is this expected?

Attachments

• output level.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 2
Yes... Outputs 3/4 are optimized for a different purpose (using with external gear as a loop).

Try this :

Add a synth block
Set to sine wave
Route to all out 1 and 4
4 front panel knob all the way up
Read output 1 and 4 level in daw
Adjust out 1 knob until equal

This puts the out 1 knob at about 2:00 for me. Anything above that is louder than the other outputs.

Repeat for out 2. 3 should also be all the way up.

Just increase the level in the OUT 3 and 4 blocks.

See above. Would cause problems (for me) since I use those routes as FX loops in the studio.

I want to be able to re-amp from any input to any output and use the same patches live. I don't want to futz with the amp levels if I just move to another output...

I run my outs at zero Db and +3db for solos. I found that running output 3 at +17db and +20db for solos is about equal to outs 1 and 2. At least pretty damn close.

Upping the level on Out3 and Out4 is equivalent to running the Amp block hotter with Out1 lower.

I bet if you look at your Amp blocks they are set around -15dB where mine is more like -6dB. Either method works, but the way I do it preserves the unity-gain structure of Out 3/4, in fact, all in/out is unity gain so I can route any input to any output.

Interestingly, Cliff was adamant that there is no 20dB step up on Out1, but yet you are all finding the same thing that I did:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/axe-fx-iii-firmware-version-2-05.146395/page-3#post-1731741

Upping the level on Out3 and Out4 is equivalent to running the Amp block hotter with Out1 lower.

I bet if you look at your Amp blocks they are set around -15dB where mine is more like -6dB. Either method works, but the way I do it preserves the unity-gain structure of Out 3/4, in fact, all in/out is unity gain so I can route any input to any output.

Interestingly, Cliff was adamant that there is no 20dB step up on Out1, but yet you are all finding the same thing that I did:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/axe-fx-iii-firmware-version-2-05.146395/page-3#post-1731741

You're still not understanding what I was trying to say. Out 3/4 are designed for "unity gain" with respect to an input. If you put 1V into an input, connect that input to Out3 and turn the Level knob on the front panel all the way up you'll get 1V out. This makes it easy to use them as loops for pedals, etc.

The effective difference is about 18 dB if Out1/2 are set to +4 dBu, 6 dB if set to -10 dBV.

Out 3/4 can also be used as a send to an external amp. Since they are "unity gain" you get the same gain as plugging straight into the amp.

Last edited:
You're still not understanding what I was trying to say. Out 3/4 are designed for "unity gain" with respect to an input. If you put 1V into an input, connect that input to Out3 and turn the Level knob on the front panel all the way up you'll get 1V out. This makes it easy to use them as loops for pedals, etc.

The effective difference is about 18 dB if Out1/2 are set to +4 dBu, 6 dB if set to -10 dBV.

Out 3/4 can also be used as a send to an external amp. Since they are "unity gain" you get the same gain as plugging straight into the amp.
So, just to understand... are you saying that whatever I put into input X will come out output 3 & 4 the same level (when front panel all the way up)?
Are outputs 1 & 2 effectively louder then?

So, just to understand... are you saying that whatever I put into input X will come out output 3 & 4 the same level (when front panel all the way up)?

Yes. That's what "unity gain" means. And depending what's on the grid between Output 3/4 and Input 3/4 (if they are connected), of course.

Are outputs 1 & 2 effectively louder then?

Yes.

Yes... if there are no other blocks in between that change the level. If you connect InputX directly to Out3 or Out4, then you’ll get out the same level you put in, as long as the knob is all the way up.

Back
Top Bottom