1. Recent events require us to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. July 27 2018 - support.fractalaudio.com is temporarily down for updates. Please use this forum for support or see the "News" section here for additional details. Thank you.
    Dismiss Notice

Out of the loop for a long time...any plans for Fractal software sim like Helix Native?

Discussion in 'Plug-Ins' started by OverAmp, Jan 29, 2018.

1. OverAmp

OverAmp
    Expand Collapse
    Regular

I haven't been around these parts for quite some time. With the release of the Axe 3, I wondered whether there has been any talk of an AxeFX software solution.

I don't really need hardware these days as anything I'd work on is at home on my PC so I don't see myself upgrading to a new unit but, I would probably jump on a software solution if it existed.

marveljam and Leo Pedersen like this.
  2. Narzugon

Narzugon
    Expand Collapse
    Forum Addict

The last I heard was still a negative. Although since then Fractal released their Reverb plugin. Maybe that was to test the software waters? Dunno.

3. firepile

firepile
    Expand Collapse
    Regular

I would be first in line to buy a plugin with all the delays from Axe III.

JiveTurkey and stm113 like this.
  4. Gonwild

Gonwild
    Expand Collapse
    Inspired

sadly, no news of this happening :-(

5. stm113

stm113
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

My guess is Cliff ain’t gonna do it, not because it can’t be done but because he don’t wanna do it.

6. Keybi

Keybi
    Expand Collapse
    Regular

The AXE is a perfect combination of special designed hardware and software. A PC simply doesn't have the horsepower. You can't turn a VW rabbit into a Ferrari by adding some lines of code. I also have an Apollo Interface here. Connected via Thunderbolt, the amp plugins are pretty good. But again, it is no secret that the number crunching is done in the Apollo, not in the MAC. So IMHO there never will be a software only solution.

vinceh likes this.
  7. steadystate

steadystate
    Expand Collapse
    Fractal Fanatic

Helix Native was cracked almost immediately.

8. #8 Gonwild, Jul 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    Gonwild

Gonwild
    Expand Collapse
    Inspired

A modern PC today have all the horsepower (don't know about complex fx chains though, like the ax3), but there are other challanges when it comes to development, rapid changes in hardware for the platform etc. A working version of what I think was called AXE-PC was rumoured to be in existence at Fractal some years ago, but never released to the public. Think there was a photo of it running on a laptop. So it's possible, but up to Fractal to decide what they want to release.

As for Helix VST, I don't think the old Pod Farm/Gear Box from Line6 was ever cracked as long as it required their hardware as a dongle. A bit less userfriendly, but still a good solution at the time. I used it a lot. Don't know why they moved away from the hardware-dongle combo.

(I have tried the Helix VST, and although it sounds good, I don't think it matches the AX8 amps modeling. So I found the reamping hassle to be something I just gotta do to get that sound I want).

9. vertibration

vertibration
    Expand Collapse
    Regular

I happen to think Fractal is missing a huge opportunity to separate their amp models into plugins, and release them individually over time. Even if they get cracked, who cares. The Reverb plugin is still not cracked, and ilok is pretty good. Look, people just want convincing tones, and if they lets say started out with a 5150 model, Friedman, or Marshall model, it would sell well, and bring in some good revenue if the price was reasonable. Its a good way to test the waters. Release a single model, see how sales are impacted for 6 months, and either release more, or stop.

10. s0c9

s0c9
    Expand Collapse

While I can't say with certainty, and this is my "personal" opinion -
    I seriously doubt FAS is worried about revenue!

11. Kamil Kisiel

Kamil Kisiel
    Expand Collapse
    Regular

The biggest challenge with software plugins is platform support. At minimum you'd need VST and AU on Mac, and VST on PC. Preferably both VST2 and VST3. Even if you use some sort of cross-platform plugin development environment like JUCE, you still need to test your plugin on a wide range of supported DAWs because they each have their quirks. On top of that you also need to test on multiple versions of each DAW since a lot of studios don't like to upgrade their working environments very often. Once you've released the product it's not over either, because there are regular updates for all these software packages that you also need to test, and you need to do your testing again when you release an update to your own product.

It's not impossible but it's a lot of work that requires dedicated staff to keep track of all of this. It's basically a whole other kind of business than what Fractal is doing now. Developing for your own dedicated hardware is much easier in that sense.

12. jlynnb1

jlynnb1
    Expand Collapse
    Fractal Fanatic

Also, Helix native is terrible. The amps in Logic are better than the sims in the Helix.