Out Of Nowhere

Cam Heiliger

Inspired
Hey guys, I was auditioning some new amp models yesterday and I stumbled across the Supremo Trem model. It absolutely blew my mind. Killer vintage crunch tones that compress beautifully with input drive and MV tweaks. I have had my AX8 for several years now and while this doesn’t happen quite as often as it used to, I love that I still find surprises in this unit.

This leads me to my question. For those that have had the unit for a while now, what have been your “out of nowhere“ amp models, cabs, or effects? I have had similar epiphanies with the new Ownhammer GNR 4x12 cab, the Corncob and ODS-100 Clean amp models and the Plex Detune multidelay recently. They have all taken my town, playing, and creativity to the next level. Cheers as always to the awesome folks at Fractal. I have learned more about amps, effects, cabinets, and everything else guitar in the last three years than I have in the previous 10. How about you?

Agreed. Seems like every other week I find a new amp to drool on. Recently is was the 1987X Jump. This box just keeps on giving.

One of my favorite factory presets is the so many roads, a lot of times, I'll just cycle different amps in it. Don't think I've ever tried the Supremo Trem, dang what a nice amp, cleans up and crunches the way I like, thanks for the mention. Almost a year with the Ax8 and still trying to scratch the surface,ha

I stumbled across the SOLO 100 at a gig. This is the Soldano SLO 100 amp. I was floored at how present this amp is live and its ability to cut through the mix yet be a warm and pleasing tone. It cleans up beautifully when you turn your volume knob down. Follow the advice in Yek's guide to get the best results. This amp absolutely kills in live settings. If you are having any issue cutting through the mix, dial this beast up and your problems are over. My favorite quote from Yek's amp guide:

"SLOs are brittle at low volumes. When you crank them up it smooths out. The problem is at cranked volumes they can kill small animals"

I'll have to try them first! What amps have you used them with so far?
Just about everything. My main clean/breakup amps are the 59 Bassman, AC20, OD-100 Clean, and Princetone RV. My dirty amps are the Corncob 50, Orange AD30, Supremo Trem, and Div13 CJBoost. All take this cab very well.

Back
Top Bottom