Out 1 Clipping

stink

Experienced
So,
I'm using my incredible AxeFX II as an amp and a "sound card" into my PC which is running Reaper, Superior Drummer 2.0, Izotope 5.0, and Izotope Alloy but here's my problem:

Recording, USB reamping, playback, all fine. When I use the brickwall limiter (-0.3 db) I get constant "flicker" on the AxeFx OUT 1 indicating input overload. When I'm rendering, nothing goes above -0.3 db and upon playback of the rendered MP3 nothing goes beyond -0.3 db and I can't hear any noticable distortion. I suspect the overload in the AxeFx may be set at -0.3 db so when the input gets there it shows clipping?

My recording set-up is as follows:
AxeFX-> USB -> computer AND
AxeFX -> OUT 1 -> Carvin SRS Reference monitors AND
AxeFX -> OUT 2 (L/R) -> Pair of Verve 8ma's

The boost pad in the I/O setup is at 0 db so that's eliminated. Both Reaper and Ozone show limiting at -0.3 db

Has anyone else experienced this? Any suggestions?

-Greg

The red light on the Out meter goes off for anything above a certain amount (I don't recall if it's -3.0 or -0.3). As long as you're not actually clipping, which in your case with the limiter you know you aren't, then you're fine. The red light is more a warning that you might be clipping than an indicator that you actually are. I get the same issue with Pro Tools when I'm running a maximizer on the mix, which is also putting a brick wall before anything hits 0.

The red light on the Out meter goes off for anything above a certain amount (I don't recall if it's -3.0 or -0.3). As long as you're not actually clipping, which in your case with the limiter you know you aren't, then you're fine. The red light is more a warning that you might be clipping than an indicator that you actually are. I get the same issue with Pro Tools when I'm running a maximizer on the mix, which is also putting a brick wall before anything hits 0.

You know, that's exactly what I think too. I suspect it's more of a warning opposed to actual clipping. As long as I don't use the limiter I'm red light free but put up that brick wall and it's flicker time. Thanks for your reply!

Recording, USB reamping, playback, all fine. When I use the brickwall limiter (-0.3 db) I get constant "flicker" on the AxeFx OUT 1 indicating input overload.
The output LED indicates output clipping, not input clipping.

The LED starts to light when you're within 1 dB of clipping. That's too close for comfort in my book. The Axe has way more dynamic range than the signal coming off your guitar. There's no reason to ride the rail that close.

No limiter is 100% "brick wall." If you drop the level on your limiter by a couple of dB, that should fix the problem.

every time i send a USB signal into the Axe, that clip light comes on - usually because the computer is turned all the way up when the Axe is the audio device. but no clipping is occurring.

i ignore it, since it's just playback.

The red light lights at -1db. Playing modern music thru usb will light it constantly.

every time i send a USB signal into the Axe, that clip light comes on - usually because the computer is turned all the way up when the Axe is the audio device. but no clipping is occurring.

i ignore it, since it's just playback.

I agree and I too just ignore it since it's on playback only.

The red light lights at -1db. Playing modern music thru usb will light it constantly.

That's the same thing I noticed as well. When playing less aggressive music (i.e. blues) I don't get this at all but when I turn on the aggressive modern toggle, I get flickering.

Thank you for your inputs everyone!

Back
Top Bottom