Other hobbies!

I just finished off a monster fish hook! I have yet to do the lasing, maybe this weekend. A fine example of Red Koa with a single coat of Tung oil.

That's pretty cool!
I still think you should do some 3D VanHalen stripes into a Strat body with that CNC of yours!!! cooler.gif

That's pretty cool!
I still think you should do some 3D VanHalen stripes into a Strat body with that CNC of yours!!! View attachment 117239
I would love to! unfortunately the cutting area is to small for a guitar body. When I bought the CNC, Carbide 3D was pretty new and they only had 2 machines, the Nomad and the Shapeoko. The cutting area is only 12x12 I was going to buy the expansion kit but never did and now I don't think they make them any longer. I may eventually get a larger machine but for now I have to work with what I have.

Ha! Maybe I will try a smaller version of it, a mini VH guitar!

I would love to! unfortunately the cutting area is to small for a guitar body. When I bought the CNC, Carbide 3D was pretty new and they only had 2 machines, the Nomad and the Shapeoko. The cutting area is only 12x12 I was going to buy the expansion kit but never did and now I don't think they make them any longer. I may eventually get a larger machine but for now I have to work with what I have.

Ahhh, gotcha......yes, a mini VH would be really cool and a fun project!

I have a 1000mm x 1000mm shapeoko in the attic. I hope to make some room in the garage soon and get it back to work 🙂👍

I have a 1000mm x 1000mm shapeoko in the attic. I hope to make some room in the garage soon and get it back to work 🙂👍
The XXL is a perfect machine for making guitar bodies! Back when I bought it they were the only machine out their that was local to me and reasonably priced! I did upgrade the Z axis which is a must if you plan on doing any hardwoods or soft metals. I also added the auto start which was a nice feature also!

The XXL is a perfect machine for making guitar bodies! Back when I bought it they were the only machine out their that was local to me and reasonably priced! I did upgrade the Z axis which is a must if you plan on doing any hardwoods or soft metals. I also added the auto start which was a nice feature also!
I have a second 1000 mm extrusion to stiffen up the gantry, I even glued the belts down to the both X&Y axis and made it rack and pinion drive.. and added an extra Y stepper. I milled a lot of cast aluminum enclosures and maple with it.

It will take a lot to get it back in service. I worked that thing pretty hard for a few years.

Sup? ;-)

Like a few others here I make all kinds of CNC stuff, and just build my 3rd CNC machine, so I do plenty of that....lol I'm working up building another Digital pinball machine, and this one is going to be CNC carved with a Celtic Dragon type theme. I'm cut a couple test prototype pieces and will cut the main body soon.

Here are a couple of my favorites ;-)

IRON MAIDEN Legacy of the Beast

METALLICA

MOSHON
DAVE

Attachments

• combo.JPG
    combo.JPG
    331.2 KB · Views: 15
  • cc2.JPG
    cc2.JPG
    257.2 KB · Views: 15
  • 241347728_4611663632226153_6561472272909852914_n.jpg
    241347728_4611663632226153_6561472272909852914_n.jpg
    258 KB · Views: 17
  • pin.JPG
    pin.JPG
    131.3 KB · Views: 15
What kind of axis motors are you using and what spindle for the bits? That looks really cool!
Sup?
Thanks,, I run the same setup on all 3 of my machines,,, Nema 23 420oz-in steper motors, driven by a Leadshine MX4660 Driver, an ESS Ethernet smoothstepper, with Mach-3 as my motion control. I design in Vectric Aspire. I sourced everything separate ( slightly cheaper) But I do like and use their cables, so The electronics are basically this setup that Avid offers now
https://www.avidcnc.com/4-drive-diy-nema-23-electronics-kit-p-75.html

The Spindle is a 2.2kw Air cooled Rattan motor,, but I don't like Chinese companies VFD's ( for various reasons) so I pay a little more and buy from a US company Automation Direct. Their VFD's are Better parts, 2year warranty 30day returns, and can be programed Via USB with their Config. Software.,, compared to the Chinese stuff,, it's a no brainer for me.
https://www.automationdirect.com/ad...y_drives_(vfd)/general_purpose_vfds/gs21-23p0

The Machine is a Modified version of this 4545
https://cnc4newbie.com/store/en/cnc-machine-kits/new-carve-xxxx/new-carve-cnc-p104c74c99/

I lost a little space with the mod. stock the cut area is roughly 51x 52in Mine is 49.5x 51.5 but I gained 4 in in Z height for a total of 8.2in.

The more Z height you gain, the more rigidity you'll sacrifice at depth, but I had a plan for it to start and the reason for the mod,,
I have a raised spoilboard that takes up some of that height,, but I did it this way so I can remove the center Strips and mount the Rotary and be able to turn big stuff like a 6x6 or tree log, corbels, etc that you couldn't do with it at stock height ;-)

I also created a grid system on my spoilboard with rows and holes for pins, for alignments. I have the template in my design software also, so I can put multiple parts on the table and do batches etc. ( like the Halloween lanterns) and know exactly where everything is, If I need to cut through a part I just put scrap under it.

MOSHON
DAVE

Attachments

• 20221004_204456.jpg
    20221004_204456.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 20221004_185534.jpg
    20221004_185534.jpg
    209.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 20221001_193843.jpg
    20221001_193843.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 7
  • rows4.JPG
    rows4.JPG
    167.9 KB · Views: 7
  • rows3.JPG
    rows3.JPG
    146 KB · Views: 6
  • nrows.JPG
    nrows.JPG
    138.6 KB · Views: 7
What a fun thread. Some really great, great work on here. I have a hobby building tube amps also, like several on here. Here's some pics of Little Rock. This is essentially the AX84 Hi Octane circuit. It's a small screamer with an 8" Jensen speaker. An insert is on the bottom so you can mount it/ elevate it on a mic stand.
IMG_0778.JPGIMG_0784.JPG

I also built this telecaster from a kit. The kit was not very good, but luckily a luthier friend helped me with some key steps. He carved the headstock for me from my plan, and helped fix the routing in the body for the neck. When it was done he set it up for me. A fun project. The best part of this guitar was the tortoise shell pickguard that was made for me by The Pickguardian out of nitrocellulose.

IMG_1787.JPG

As part of my tube amp hobby I restored this 1965 Hammond L-111 organ. The organ was “recapped”, bad tubes replaced, AC cord replaced, and the reverb unit was replaced.
View attachment 117484
My mom had this exact Hammond! First keyboard I ever played. I remember trying to figure out Inna Godda Davida and Light My Fire on it.
Then I saw Keith Emerson in 71. Nope! Back to the guitar.

Back
Top Bottom