Other hobbies!

Wow, really cool stuff in this thread.

When not lusting after guitars, guitar gear and tone chasing, I write.

Runemaster: Shield Maiden's Blade

The Phantom: Checkmate

Lions, Tigers and Bears

runemaster_ad_adam-messer_2.2021.jpg

How do you perforate the box? Do you bring it to a shop with a CNC cutting machine?
There’s a company (Schaeffer AG) here in Germany that supplies a free CAD-Software to do offline design/development of faceplates and housings, includes libraries for diverse connectors and such, excellent and easy to use…even calculates the costs.

They have a wide variety of materials to choose from and do the CNC work and engraving that can optionally be filled with a lacquer off different colors or just have a printed faceplate. I only get faceplates done, the rest I mill myself.

Shifting gears... A work in progress and not quite done as of yet. An Old Great Planes J-3 Piper cub! This one is sporting an OS twi cylinder160 4 stroke with onboard glow igniter system! 89" wing span and will tip the scales at around 12 Lbs.

@FractalAudio Cliff I know you fly so I want to see what your flying!

20200910_164601.jpg
20200910_162126.jpg

20210126_121922.jpg
20210410_084037.jpg

Then I have an old Great Planes Tiger 60 sporting a YS 91 Air Chamber and retracts!

20201119_123919.jpg

20201119_124125.jpg

It's been a wile since I've posted up some of my work!

Aside from playing guitar and lusting after amp tones I wood work! I work mainly with Hawaiian woods and being part Hawaiian I some what involve myself in the culture.

Here is a "Lei O Mono" a Weapon of war used by ancient Hawaiians. The body is made from Milo Pronounced "Me low" The teeth are genuine Tiger shark and are set and lashed with epoxy and hemp string. The shadow box is made from Mango wood and Wange biscuits at the corners backed with felt.

View attachment 81247View attachment 81248

Here is a Clock from a Mig 21! A customer wanted me to make a base to hold it. Something a little different for me but it was nice to do something else! Enjoy!

View attachment 81249View attachment 81250
Those need to be headstocks!
Hawaii metal band with Lei O Mono guitars.

Fitness has historically been another obsession of mine. I’ve done plenty of half marathons and would like to do longer distance someday. 2020 sucked with no races to enter in and I was generally making poor health choices. I have been getting after it this year, including some time in the old home gym

75044271-24CE-4861-9A96-16F5420A22A5.jpeg

After a year of this pandemic I decided to get into better shape. At this point my “hobby” has oddly become doing daily pushups. I’m addicted to it and realized they are probably one of the best exercises one can do. I also enjoy woodworking. 😉

Last edited:
I've always dabbled in Photography, and try to go Target Shooting when I can with ammo prices up its a little tougher though, over the past year my wife has purchased me some of the more intricate Lego Sets and they are fun to build.

Offroad racing and exploring...built this one from scratch in my garage. Motor is a V6 from a '94 Ford Taurus SHO, 6-speed manual from a '06 Wrangler, lots of other stuff. Handles like a go-cart and I drive it around town in the summer as well :)
I used to work with a bunch of guys who were crazy into rock crawling. One guy built his from scratch, another guy converted a Toyota pickup, another guy an old Bronco (I think?). Every year they'd head off to Moab and get crazy. We did a car crush for charity event one time and used the Crawlers to drive over old cars - such a blast.

I always try to have some kind of project on the go in my spare time. Bought a 3D printer about 2 years ago and it opened up so much potential. It inspires a lot of ideas, probably the best thing I've ever bought. I'm obsessed now. Also started learning Arduino coding as well and integrating those both.

This was one of the first things I made a few years back. It's a MIDI controller that I used for running the looper functions on the Boss DD500. Also added a feature to keep track of how many overdubs are running, the pedal doesn't have that info. It's running on an Arduino Nano. Sold the DD500 a while back, thinking of reprogramming this for the Axe FX looper so I can free up some buttons on my floorboard.

20191001_180725.jpg

This is an arcade stick I 3D printed. Designed and printed a few parts to improve the stick itself too, shorter throw shaft, and a bigger cup for a smaller deadzone.

IMG_20210412_142157.jpg20201001_204222.jpg

Just finished this one at the start of year. 7 months of work in this. Runs Retropie on Raspberry Pi4 and can play anything up to Dreamcast/N64/PS1.

IMG_20210128_174750.jpgIMG_20210125_142835.jpg

In a similar vein, couple of small joypads I made, running on Arduino Micros.

IMG_20210412_142555.jpg

My guitars got some 3D love too. Started off trying to replicate a DiMarzio cover for no real reason other than to see how it would turn out. Liked how it looked, ended up doing all 3, and then just started replacing random parts on this guitar with 3D printed bits, just for fun.

IMG_20210412_142220.jpgIMG_20210412_142231.jpg

And I've been working on a prototype for a stop-tailpiece B-Bender. Printed version works perfectly, so I've started working on a metal version.

IMG_20210317_131700.jpg

I've hit the image upload limit. Probably for the best, I'd just end up going on and on with more of this.

Fellow woodworker here. Bought a new garage heater and bandsaw over the winter. Next project is running a couple of 220V lines (240V technically, I know) to the garage for the heater and saws (table saw is getting converted to 220V as well). Running another 110V, 30 amp breaker for other tools and to get the garage isolated from the original breaker that's also tied to the living and dining rooms. Have to just shake my head at some of the "planning" of this house.

I always try to have some kind of project on the go in my spare time. Bought a 3D printer about 2 years ago and it opened up so much potential. It inspires a lot of ideas, probably the best thing I've ever bought. I'm obsessed now. Also started learning Arduino coding as well and integrating those both.

This was one of the first things I made a few years back. It's a MIDI controller that I used for running the looper functions on the Boss DD500. Also added a feature to keep track of how many overdubs are running, the pedal doesn't have that info. It's running on an Arduino Nano. Sold the DD500 a while back, thinking of reprogramming this for the Axe FX looper so I can free up some buttons on my floorboard.

View attachment 81598

This is an arcade stick I 3D printed. Designed and printed a few parts to improve the stick itself too, shorter throw shaft, and a bigger cup for a smaller deadzone.

View attachment 81600View attachment 81599

Just finished this one at the start of year. 7 months of work in this. Runs Retropie on Raspberry Pi4 and can play anything up to Dreamcast/N64/PS1.

View attachment 81604View attachment 81601

In a similar vein, couple of small joypads I made, running on Arduino Micros.

View attachment 81606

My guitars got some 3D love too. Started off trying to replicate a DiMarzio cover for no real reason other than to see how it would turn out. Liked how it looked, ended up doing all 3, and then just started replacing random parts on this guitar with 3D printed bits, just for fun.

View attachment 81607View attachment 81608

And I've been working on a prototype for a stop-tailpiece B-Bender. Printed version works perfectly, so I've started working on a metal version.

View attachment 81611

I've hit the image upload limit. Probably for the best, I'd just end up going on and on with more of this.
3D printing is something I want to get into but I just don't have the time. I have a buddy that did some printing for me for a dust collection system that I came up with for my CNC. He put in some hours on this deal for sure but it works great!

I did the file work for the shoe and built it and he did the rest which was the hard part! 20210205_211047.jpg
20210208_165903.jpg
20210208_165758.jpg20210208_165821.jpg

Back
Top Bottom