OT somewhat for this forum-Acoustic-Electric-Thinline

So, finally made a decision, for me that's something! @LizzyD and @Rick really pulled me over the line.
All comments were greatly appreciated. Best forum around!

I bought a used T5z Mahogany model. Sam Ash in Ricks neck of the woods, San Antonio, Texas, I think? Real nice folks. Amazing price. It is a 2019 model and I asked for close ups of the neck. They took new picts and sent them same day. Very close up. Frets and fingerboard look great.....My main concern.

Thanks again Fractals. @LizzyD, I am a fan now btw. :)

So, finally made a decision, for me that's something! @LizzyD and @Rick really pulled me over the line.

I bought a used T5z Mahogany model. Sam Ash in Ricks neck of the woods, San Antonio, Texas, I think? Real nice folks. Amazing price. It is a 2019 model and I asked for close ups of the neck. They took new picts and sent them same day. Very close up. Frets and fingerboard look great.....My main concern.

Awesome! I really think you'll like it. I'll be gigging mine for the first time this weekend... time to go to the show!

Very cool! I hope it fits the bill for you! And thank you. :smiley:

Congrats. I hope you like it. I enjoy my new T5z very much.

So I got the guitar today. Some confusion about the actual YEAR of the guitar. I'm not confused, Sam Ash was\is confused.
Being 2020, as it is, there is a huge difference between a used guitar being 2019 and 2015. It is a 2015. When I asked I was told (message) 2019.
I am sure no one was lying, just kind of blind maybe. There is a 9 in the serial number, the 6th digit. According to Taylor website the 7th digit is the year, which is a 5.
Honestly, not worried because of the condition....Just kind of a principal thing really.
Anyway, so far so good. Very good condition, especially the fingerboard and frets. Actually, cannot find a scratch or mark on the guitar so far.
Sam Ash put acoustic phosphorus bronze strings on the guitar from I can ell. I have messaged them about the year and the strings.

Does play very nice. Neck is skinnier than I am used to but fine. Plays very easy.

So, does it sound better\different\whatever with the Taylor recommended Elixir 11-49's? I do use light gauge on all my guitars, acoustic and electric!
I do believe I will be happy wit the guitar.
Just need to settle on some strings.
Thanks folks

Last edited:
Yeah, the phosphorus bronze strings may not work so well with the magnetic pickups. I like Elixir Nanoweb 12-52 on mine. Haven't really experimented with anything else to be honest, so I can't offer any advice there.

Yeah, the phosphorus bronze strings may not work so well with the magnetic pickups. I like Elixir Nanoweb 12-52 on mine. Haven't really experimented with anything else to be honest, so I can't offer any advice there.
Nice website!
I need lighter strings. I normally use the same gauges as Joe B. on acoustics. 11-52 Custom Light. Always elixir. Been using NYXL's on my electrics and they are killer strings. I'm going to experiment I guess.
I will stay with 11's though, on acoustics and the T5z.
Someone gave me 2 sets of DR Zebra strings. Phosphorus Bronze and Nickel Steel wound side by side? Strange but I will give them a shot though.
The idea according to DR is they will have an acoustic vibe but still get picked up by the magnetic pickups.
Thanks again
Frank

Last edited:
OK. So is the truss rod wrench for the T5z 1/4" . Model #1316-09?
I just always want the proper size for each guitar I own.
Thanks

Ok folks, I’m unearthing this one from the grave.

First of all, Stratman, do you still have the T5? How do you still like it?

I’ve got a really nice Martin GPC Aura GT but I ONLY play it at acoustic shows plugged in. I mainly play in a rock cover band but me, our singer and bassist do side gigs acoustic but still play all the 90’s and 2000’s rock.

The Martin plays like an acoustic and gets uncomfortable after sitting with it for over 2 hours.

I need something that plays like an electric and is thin and comfortable.

I absolutely hate the sound of raw peizo which is the main reason I got the Aura Martin. It sounds absolutely incredible plugged in and if I went with a pure peizo option, I’d definitely be spending time with my FM3 or get the fishman aura DI box. I’ve heard tons of killer demos of that and it sounds like it’s what Fishman squeezed into the Acoustisonics.

I really like the blending feature of the Godin but fear it will play more like my Martin vs more like my Charvel and I want that Charvel feel.

I’m sure the fenders probably most closely resemble the feel of the Charvel but I just don’t want to spend that much right now.

Used prices for the fender is right in line with the T5z and koa Godin.

My former singer had an original T5 for over a decade but now uses an American tele acoustisonic and likes it better. He hasn’t played a T5z to compare. He also has the PRS SE semi hollow peizo and loves it also but says totally different than both fender or T5.

The Kiesel Chaquico is another option if I want to get spendy but I feel like it would probably play the best of all of them but I can’t seem to really find ANY good info on it or demos despite them being like 20 years in the making. Craig himself uses too much processing to get a good feel on the raw plugged in sound but I assume not much different than any other peizo sound.

At the price point I really want to try a Godin before buying a used one or used T5z or placing an order for a Kiesel.

Thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom