OT somewhat for this forum-Acoustic-Electric-Thinline

Hey there, @Stratman68 ! I just purchased a Taylor T5z and it is right down your alley. Smaller body, same electronics. It has a 12" radius, rather than the normal T5 15", and wider jumbo style frets. It plays much more like an electric than my older T5, but has all the great sounds.

I'm not sure about all the reviews you mentioned... I've had 4 of them and they have all been great playing and stable tuning guitars, both at home and gigging. The other player in one of my bands plays one full time, split into an electric and acoustic rig (I am setting up my Axe Fx III to avoid that).

Sweetwater made a great deal on the one I bought, and got it to me in two days. I'm really enjoying it.
Hi Rick
I am still in decision mode, also known as procrastinating. I have done more research (internet articles and youtube) than I ever have before.
I have brought a new candidate into the choices. The Takamine TSP Thinline. It does have med jumbo frets, 12" radius but the biggest upside it has is it is still an acoustic(normal sound hole)
The Godins seem great except I need an older one (2017 or older) because I refuse to buy a guitar of any kind with a richlite fretboard. I have found a few on Reverb.
The Fender Acoustisonic Stratocasters are nice also but the price?
The Taylors, Fenders and the Takamines are both more than 2X the cost of the Godin.

Bottomline is all of these guitars I mention are advertised as Hybrids and tout the electric capabilities. That is NOT what I want. I do not care about having an acoustic that can sound like a crappy electric. I have plenty of good electrics.

For me it is about the thinness (shoulder issues I mentioned), easy playability (which I imagine they all have) and finally sounding like a real acoustic guitar.

Thanks

Just an added note: Takamine and Guild still make plenty of guitars with a 12" radius. As Andy mentioned, the norm these days is 15" to 16"
I have 2 Takamine acoustics w\electronics. One is 30 years old and the newer one is one of their high end models. But both full body.

I have an old Gibson Chet Atkins that works great. I replaced my Godin Multitac with it. I also looked at Keisel and Taylor at the time I was looking for a thinline acoustic. The Fender was not out at the time but I would have considered it.

Yes my bad, Some seem to be 12"
The standard T5s have the 15", that is all of them except the T5z. The T5z was specifically made to be more tilted towards the electric player, with a different radius and frets. With the Axe Fx III, the electric tones are as killer as the acoustic ones. I'm very happy with it. As a guy with a wall full of great electrics, this guitar has to be the real deal to hang with them... and it does just fine!

Stratman68 has some specific needs that aren't at this price point, so it may not be the best fit for him. And you've got to find the guitar that fits!

Hey Rick
My physical issues aside, which are important, my main concern is that the guitar has a great (well very good) acoustic sound. I play acoustics without a pick and I do not care at all about the electric sound aspect of any of the guitars I mentioned (4, I think).
When I look at physical attributes only, like thickness of the body. The radius and scale length, the Taylor T5z is the best in that respect by far.
Whenever I see a video of the T5z, they tout the Electric sound more than any other.
I would ask you this. With respect to normal acoustics, the wood is a huge part of the sound. I wonder how the sound differs between the lower end T5z's (like the mahogany as compared to the spruce. Looks are irrelevant to me in this instance.

I did find a video that I missed, I guess. The Mahogany T5z played finger style............. Sounds nice, not sure why he needs to use the Boss AD 2 acoustic preamp though?
But I guess since I have the FM3, that doesn't matter much. Never used a boss AD 2, I do own a BBE acoustimax-collecting dust in a closet.

Last edited:
not sure why he needs to use the Boss AD 2 acoustic preamp though?
It can take the quack off a piezo signal. You can do this with your Fractal gear -- just run it through a preset with an acoustic IR in the CAB block. You have more powerful tools for this stuff in the Fractal gear TBH because you can run multiple IRs, compressor, EQ, etc.

It can take the quack off a piezo signal. You can do this with your Fractal gear -- just run it through a preset with an acoustic IR in the CAB block. You have more powerful tools for this stuff in the Fractal gear TBH because you can run multiple IRs, compressor, EQ, etc.
I agree of course. Marco's acoustic patch for the FM3 is the best I have heard in my 11+ years hear. ATM, I use my high end Takamine with his patch and it is incredible. I tweaked it a bit but, not a whole lot really. Anyone want to buy a BBE Acoustimax? :)

EDIT: I have some older acoustic ir's from my AxeFX Xls and such. Haven't tried them lately. Are there any newer ones around? Thanks

Hey Rick
My physical issues aside, which are important, my main concern is that the guitar has a great (well very good) acoustic sound. I play acoustics without a pick and I do not care at all about the electric sound aspect of any of the guitars I mentioned (4, I think).
When I look at physical attributes only, like thickness of the body. The radius and scale length, the Taylor T5z is the best in that respect by far.
Whenever I see a video of the T5z, they tout the Electric sound more than any other.
I would ask you this. With respect to normal acoustics, the wood is a huge part of the sound. I wonder how the sound differs between the lower end T5z's (like the mahogany as compared to the spruce. Looks are irrelevant to me in this instance.
A couple of things to add here...

The T5z doesn't use a piezo pickup. It uses a "magnetic body sensor" (ie- microphone) to pick up top vibrations, a stacked humbucker under the fretboard at the neck, and the visible stacked humbucker that looks sort of like a lipstick pickup. It doesn't have that tinny piezo sound that under bridge or bridge saddle pickups have. That said, neither does it sound like my HD-28. Because it uses electric strings (the 11-49 Elixir set is standard), you don't hear the bright, piano like ring of a traditional acoustic. The standard T5 can use regular acoustic strings with a wound 3rd, and can go more that direction. I would say the T5z has a more steel string edge in the sound, but not that "sching" sound that I don't like in piezos.

One of the bands I am playing in has a female singer, so I was working up a fingerstyle version of "Someone Like You" by Adele last night, basically using a Travis style pattern to replace what's on the record. My wife walked into the music room to tell me she loved the sound of it... which does not happen often. I was running it through the Axe Fx III with a chorus on it and it had a 12 string feel to it. I love the sound, but that's a really personal thing. You might, but you might not.

One word of caution, in case you check one out. Don't use the settings you have for another guitar. Think of the humbuckers more like early 60s Strat pickups with that low output, but more lows, and no noise, and you'll be on the right track. Kind of like the Silver Sky pickups, with clear high end, but low end as well. I just modified an acoustic preset someone had on here for the acoustic side, and I swap patches and pickups at the same time, as needed. I'd be glad to PM you the presets if you end up needing a starting place.

I have a Radial PZ-Pre, and it does awesome things for acoustic guitars, but I haven't even plugged it in. The Axe FX is doing everything I need with just the EQ block. I'm playing through the Presonus 328Ai speakers in my music room, or the Scepter S8 monitors. Both sound great.

I don't want to overhype it. It's a guitar, and like the rest some love them and some don't. If you decide to venture in that direction, contact Sweetwater and talk with a rep there. They have the try it, like it, or return it policy that will keep you safe it it doesn't tickle your fancy. My guy there made a killer deal on the T5z Standard.

Lastly, on the top woods. Yes, they can make a difference. The other guitarist has the mahogany one, and it sounds nice. My regular T5 is a ovangkol top, and I love that one too. Like I said, they are not true acoustics and don't sound like a Martin playing acoustically. I haven't heard any thinlines that do. But they do sound very nice, and play great. I can't say "this is what you need!" but can say I really enjoy mine, and keep the ovangkol one on a stand next to the living room couch to play on. Nice oak stand, pretty top... the wife tolerates me.

Not trying to sell you. Just saying I'd get one in my hands to try during your search. If it's not your thing, well, you tried it!

Hey Rick
Thanks very much for taking the time to detail the guitar in depth. I can get the Mahogany ones pretty cheap on Reverb, but of course, no return for not liking it. Sweetwater is still pretty expensive.
You have given me much to consider.
Thanks again

I think the quasi solid body acoustics do a great job especially reducing/eliminating feedback. Last November I got a Martin HD28E with the Fishman Aura VT Enhance pickup system. I know the Aura gets a bad wrap sometimes but I have to say that I am nothing but impressed. It is simple to get a great acoustic sound live. However, if I'm playing acoustic and electric I pretty much always use the Chet Atkins because it never feeds back.

I want to echo everything that Rick said about the Taylor T5z, I use one as my live stage acoustic. Mine has the Koa top. It was spendy but I found it used on eBay a few years back and it has served me quite well sonically AND because I can get it into a Mono dual gig bag along with an electric. I use heavy strings with a wound G which for me is key for getting a better "acoustic" feel - I do a lot of heavy strumming and you just can't do that with .09's.

With the Axe III and now the FM3 I think I have it sounding pretty decent. I use my own IR made with my full sized Taylor, plus comp, EQ, delay/verb etc. You can hear it from this very recent live stream, starting at about 20 min in:

(Not the best performance but hey, first gig since March.)

Back
Top Bottom