OT somewhat for this forum-Acoustic-Electric-Thinline

Stratman68

Axe-Master
So. as the title says, looking to buy an acoustic electric "thinline" guitar.
Cannot handle, Godins-because of 16" radius-would have been my first option otherwise.
Taylor-bad reviews on play-ability and tuning stability-plus the $$$$$.
Ruled out many and I am left with these:

Fender Acoustisonics Strats-Seems OK, specs are perfect, sounds great but $$$$

Crafter-2010-has Bill Lawrence P-90 and lr under saddle pickup. Very cheap but an unknown for me except youtube.
ESP LTD TL6-Cheap and youtube vids are positive especially about build and play-ability.

Anyone familiar with the last 2? Both have 12" radius. I do like the idea of a pickup on the body to add volume to the transducer.
Thanks

Godin. They’ve been doing this longer than all of the others combined and have it nailed. The A-series or Multitac lineups. Can find them used pretty cheap too.

Godin. They’ve been doing this longer than all of the others combined and have it nailed. The A-series or Multitac lineups. Can find them used pretty cheap too.
Yes, first one I looked at. As mentioned, that 16" radius scares me. Ex: Think of the left ( parenthesis symbols. That is what my index finger on my left hand (fretting) looks like. Combination arthritis and trigger finger. So..........the flatter the radius the harder I have to fight the guitar. Still is my first choice though.
Here is one of the videos I found. I seem to find these videos that make you forget you are looking at a guitar review. If you doubt it, go ahead to around 1:20, but it's all great imho. Guitar does sound killer.

Last edited:
This may bring on some haters but I've had two Kiesels built in the past 18 mo. and they are both fantastic! Ordered both with Graphtec bridge saddles. The acoustic tones through my AX8 (with acoustic IR) provide the best acoustic tones I've ever had on stage. The build quality of both guitars is excellent. I know Carvin had some quality issues in the past but they've really turned that around since becoming Kiesel. You have so many options to choose from (including FB radius). They also have some stock acoustic/electric models but many of their electrics will accommodate piezo saddles if you want mag and acoustic tones from one guitar.

Customer service is a bit spotty but that's sadly common with many brands. On the flip-side, Chris, in sales, is a nice guy and can answer questions about the many options not shown on their website. I'd highly recommend you check them out.

As mentioned, that 16" radius scares me. Ex: Think of the left ( parenthesis symbols. That is what my index finger on my left hand (fretting) looks like. Combination arthritis and trigger finger.
I totally missed that! Legit worry. Their necks are very acoustic guitar-ish. I think the radius are different between the multiac and the A-series though.

From my experience there are several different options:
Perhaps a Peavey Generation EXP? I've bought a used one for the price the installed Ghost-System would cost alone. Moreover it's a good starting point for modifications of the magnetic pickups. Should be available for less than 300.-USD
Or just put GraphTech Ghost saddles in your favorite electric guitar? With a wireless transmitter (impedance 1MOhm or higher) you can even use it without a preamp...
Apart from that I'd also recommend Godin: I own an A8 Mandolin with RMC Pickups and the sound on stage is unbelievable!
Or maybe a Variax JTV? There's a JTV-59 in my arsenal, and it'd be my #1 for smaller gigs with just one guitar. You can do everything from banjo, resonator, acoustic up to high-gain.
The most pricy option would be a PRS Hollowbody II with piezo. It's the perfect partner for looooong gigs, for it is so lightweight and unbelievable comfortable to play.

Not looking for pity, jut want to clear about my motives. Just another point of my choices or lack thereof:
I also have this mouse shoulder++bone on bone (arthritis) thing going on in my right shoulder. I have a few beautiful normal size acoustic\electrics. Issue is the way your arm and shoulder are positioned when you play due to the FAT body. Hence, a thinline....
I have insurance and all that but nothing can be done about the bone on bone aspect. The mouse shoulder can be overcome with targeted exercises, but does take a while.
My point: there is ZERO shoulder pain when I play my electrics.

I probably will try out the Godin A6, does seem like the best option...............Thanks to all. Yes I am falling apart :)

What? No comment on my Kiesel suggestion? Has hatred turned to apathy? :rolleyes:
I love your Kiesel suggestion. I own an older Carvin Thin Line Acoustic, really happy with it. I would go with a Kiesel Thin Line. Give Kiesel a call, and see what they have to offer. They have the Craig Chaquico signature Thin Line Acoustic also.

Thanks for supporting my suggestion, Davidevo. I was expecting a mob with clubs and torches.

Yes, the Chaquico would be a good no-mag choice. I also own a Carvin AE185. Similar to the Chaquico but with two humbuckers. Being older Carvin, fit n finish are not great but it's super light and plays/sounds great.

Not to jump ship but I've owned a couple of Godins, still own an Artisan ST Signature. I also worked for a Godin retailer for a while. They definitely make some fine instruments as well.

All the best with your acquisition Stratman. Let us know what you think of the A6.

What? No comment on my Kiesel suggestion? Has hatred turned to apathy? :rolleyes:
Well, not understanding the "hate turned to apathy" comment at all. But I did check them out and, 1st, I would have to have one built. Searched used also on reverb just get an idea and none. None in stock either. Does look like a nice guitar and does have a good pickup system. A little pricey for me. From what I could gather around $1,699 without a case and shipping. As far as acoustics, I have always leaned towards Takamine's made in the Japan factory. Have for years. They have some thinlines and they are expensive . Over $2K.
I have watched so many youtube video demo's and reviews my eyes hurt. Many or even most of the thinline acoustic\electric searches I did are about guitars that are not even made anymore.

In conclusion, I also like the addition of the humbucker on the body of the Godin A6 Ultra. They are around $800 used for a good one. $890 new at Sweetwater.
I truly appreciate the advice and feedback

Edit: I am one of those that stays with the guitars they start with...Not that I haven't played others, just a Fender Strat\Tele guy. BTWe, wouldn't pay $2k for the Fender thinlines either.

I just meant that Carvin/Kiesel tend to be pretty polarizing. People either love um like their mama or they want to level the factory. Even folks who have never played one.

Sorry about your health struggles. Arthritis is a musician's worst nightmare.

The right axe is out there for you. Hopefully the A6 will be it.

I just meant that Carvin/Kiesel tend to be pretty polarizing. People either love um like their mama or they want to level the factory. Even folks who have never played one.

Sorry about your health struggles. Arthritis is a musician's worst nightmare.

The right axe is out there for you. Hopefully the A6 will be it.
Thanks very Much, Appreciate it!

Hi Stratman68,

I'm a 69er and had severe problems with my shoulder as a result from too much Volleyball in the teenage years (both shoulders heve been "repaired" during the last three years). Luckily it was never a problem to play, but only to "install" the guitar over my head. OK, strap locks solved that problem, but I also found out that an S-shaped guitar strap reduced neck and back stress after a long gig ENORMOUS! Have you ever thought of buying an S-shaped strap for let's say 40.-$ and not a new guitar for 1000.-$?

Hi Stratman68,

I'm a 69er and had severe problems with my shoulder as a result from too much Volleyball in the teenage years (both shoulders heve been "repaired" during the last three years). Luckily it was never a problem to play, but only to "install" the guitar over my head. OK, strap locks solved that problem, but I also found out that an S-shaped guitar strap reduced neck and back stress after a long gig ENORMOUS! Have you ever thought of buying an S-shaped strap for let's say 40.-$ and not a new guitar for 1000.-$?
Standing does NOT help with the acoustic. Standing with electric there is NO pain at all. It is the thickness of the acoustic. This is why I useed "mouse shoulder" as an example. Has nothing to do with a strap.
Thanks for replying though, it is appreciated

Hi Stratman68,

I don't recall ever seeing an S-shaped strap. It really helps, huh? Where did you find yours?

Hey there, @Stratman68 ! I just purchased a Taylor T5z and it is right down your alley. Smaller body, same electronics. It has a 12" radius, rather than the normal T5 15", and wider jumbo style frets. It plays much more like an electric than my older T5, but has all the great sounds.

I'm not sure about all the reviews you mentioned... I've had 4 of them and they have all been great playing and stable tuning guitars, both at home and gigging. The other player in one of my bands plays one full time, split into an electric and acoustic rig (I am setting up my Axe Fx III to avoid that).

Sweetwater made a great deal on the one I bought, and got it to me in two days. I'm really enjoying it.

Go with the Godin you will get used to the 16" in no time, Taylor is 15" and most Acoustics are pretty close to that . Little frets is what makes for harder work fretting not the radius.

Go with the Godin you will get used to the 16" in no time, Taylor is 15" and most Acoustics are pretty close to that . Little frets is what makes for harder work fretting not the radius.
Appreciate the input Andy, but Rick is correct. The Taylor T5z's do have a 12" radius.

Back
Top Bottom