osteoarthritis

DaveO

Fractal Fanatic
I've had my hands swell up several times in the last few months so no longer able to play guitar trying things like acupuncture, supplements, diet, etc. just wondering what others in he forum may be doing to prolong their ability to play past 60...

i'm 52 and have early onset arthritis. i manage it with paracetamol (acetaminophen / tylenol in the US) and glucosamine which actually helps a lot. practicing every day is also beneficial and taking a little time to warm up and get the hands limber helps too.

i'm 52 and have early onset arthritis. i manage it with paracetamol (acetaminophen / tylenol in the US) and glucosamine which actually helps a lot. practicing every day is also beneficial and taking a little time to warm up and get the hands limber helps too.
Will have to try this regimen. Thanks!

I've been having, just this year, but a lot of pain in between the first and second knuckle on my fretting hand. A lot of days I can't really play more than a few minutes before it hurts too much. Ice helps a lot. I haven't found much else that knocks it down except time.

What is more interesting is what triggers it. I've pretty much cut out beer, because for some reason, a lot of them will trigger it. I can have a single Fat Tire, and tomorrow it'll be bad. Bourbon doesn't seem to both it much. I feel like some foods trigger it, but I've been trying to work out what exactly. I had thought beef, but it's not consistant.

So sad to hear you all having the same type issues,,the bone knuckles in my hands are shot, fingers ,wrist get pretty stiff,.so no more quick hands and fingers for sure ,,pretty slow action here. my rheumatoid doctor has me on hydrocloriquine, which helps some.JUst real hard to have to lay the guitar down when you get Fractal Axe equipment to plug into.

I've been having, just this year, but a lot of pain in between the first and second knuckle on my fretting hand. A lot of days I can't really play more than a few minutes before it hurts too much. Ice helps a lot. I haven't found much else that knocks it down except time.

What is more interesting is what triggers it. I've pretty much cut out beer, because for some reason, a lot of them will trigger it. I can have a single Fat Tire, and tomorrow it'll be bad. Bourbon doesn't seem to both it much. I feel like some foods trigger it, but I've been trying to work out what exactly. I had thought beef, but it's not consistant.

That is really strange. Pain not at the joint, but behind it?
I immediately think Gout because of the dietary triggers. My father-in-law has bad gout, and he swears by that black elderberry extract.
Could be tendonitis or arthritis, as well.....

My neck issues from an injury last December have limited my playing to ~20 minute chunks.
Looking down at my monitor at work too long and playing guitar bring on insane pressure/pain.
The two things I need/want to do the most. Figures.

Disc disease and spinal arthritis on top of whatever I did to my damn spine. 43 next month.

That is really strange. Pain not at the joint, but behind it?
I immediately think Gout because of the dietary triggers. My father-in-law has bad gout, and he swears by that black elderberry extract.
Could be tendonitis or arthritis, as well.....

My neck issues from an injury last December have limited my playing to ~20 minute chunks.
Looking down at my monitor at work too long and playing guitar bring on insane pressure/pain.

Disc disease and spinal arthritis on top of whatever I did to my damn spine. 43 next month.

I have a handful of weird things on that hand/wrist. I tore something in my wrist climbing years ago. I have a trigger finger thing with my pinky. Have had elbow issues on the same arm. I dislocated my collarbone as well (motorcycle), so I get some weird nerve pinching as well because the whole joint isn't supported; the end of the collarbone isn't attached to anything. The first and second finger thing is right in between the two. Nothing really surprises me with it, but the finger pain is a drag. I might try the elderberries and see if it makes a difference.

805z2npniiz11.jpg

Last edited:
Inflammation is a bitch. It causes so many ailments in the human body. Diet can definitely affect it in many folks. NSAIDs like ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin), aspirin, and naproxen (Aleve) tend to help. Keeping moving is a must but don't over do it. Heavy stress on an inflamed joint can make it worse. High blood sugar and stress are also triggers. Get plenty of sleep and stay well hydrated.

My daughter has Ehlers-Danlos syndrome, basically meaning her body doesn't do cartilage well, other associated stuff. Dislocates her shoulders in her sleep. Rotator cuff surgery, arthritis and carpal tunnel at 29. Joint stuff genuinely sucks.

I have to say though, she doesn't have it nearly as bad as it can be, which I'm hugely grateful for.

So - you guys are saying I’m not alone? All this pain is normal?
phew :)
It would be nice if there was a solution but alas, with time comes pain by the sound of things,
I take q10 (to kelp with the side effects of statins used to fight cholesterol) amongst other things.
It appears a solution would be valuable as I haven’t found it.
I rode a lot this weekend, and am way more sore than I would have been 10 years ago. It was still a blast though, and I think that teaches me something.

Thanks
Pauly

another thing i did was move to a lighter gauge on the top three strings. so 9's on the top and 10's on the bottom. all my guitars are set up with the action as low as it will go and i use the minimum amount of pressure required to fret notes (this can be quite an eye opener if you've never really thought about it)
playing every day, even if it's just for 10 minutes, is really important, imo

another thing i did was move to a lighter gauge on the top three strings. so 9's on the top and 10's on the bottom. all my guitars are set up with the action as low as it will go and i use the minimum amount of pressure required to fret notes (this can be quite an eye opener if you've never really thought about it)
Been using 9-46 since the early 90s. Similar action. Will have to make more effort to play every day. Sometimes I get busy. Also fighting 'frozen shoulder' occasionally - one of the common but less-known problems that comes with diabetes type 2....

I take q10 (to kelp with the side effects of statins used to fight cholesterol) amongst other things.
Docs have tried a few different statins with me. All of the ones they have tried screw up my serotonin/dopamine to the point where I feel very out,of-sorts, and become passively suicidal - i.e, not going to kill myself, but would be happy to be dead instead of feeling that way.

I've found daily turmeric supplements have significantly reduced arthritis pain (for me more in the toes than hands). It takes a month or so to really kick in, but I'm a believer.

I've found daily turmeric supplements have significantly reduced arthritis pain (for me more in the toes than hands). It takes a month or so to really kick in, but I'm a believer.
What sort of dose do you take? Are there any "real" studies on this? (Not that I don't believe you, but for if I talk to my daughter about it.)

What sort of dose do you take? Are there any "real" studies on this? (Not that I don't believe you, but for if I talk to my daughter about it.)
I take one of these daily: Terry Naturally CuraMed 750 mg - 120 Softgels, available from Amazon:
Amazon product ASIN B00EEEGEGM
There's a lot of clinical data on its efficacy for reducing inflation. My go-to source on such things is NutritionFacts.org. [Edit: .org, not .com] You can search that site to find a lot of info on turmeric (and one of its key factors curcumin). Some examples: https://nutritionfacts.org/video/turmeric-curcumin-and-osteoarthritis/ and https://nutritionfacts.org/video/turmeric-curcumin-and-rheumatoid-arthritis/

There are plenty of other reputable evidence-based medical advocates behind it (particularly in the plant-based diet arena).

But, in the end I'm a believer because it really did work for me when I started it probably 5+ years ago.

Last edited:
I heard curcurmin was good. I just bought some to try. I’ll report back in a couple of weeks if I notice a difference.

I turn 43 next month too and was diagnosed with a herniated disc in my neck last year May 2019. I've been working in IT since 1999 and my doctors call my issue "Tech Neck" and have seen a lot more younger people with it because it's being caused by looking down at laptop and smartphone screens and probably in my case also from looking down at the fretboard. When my neck gets bad, it affects my arms and legs. My left arm usually goes numb first. I sometimes have to walk with a cane. I got a cane with a flash light and alarm sound, so I don't trip over dog toys and it scares our dogs and cats out of my way haha.

I now have to play guitars under 7lbs and play mostly Ibanez RG series guitars. I can no longer play any of my Les Paul style guitars or most of my bass guitars. :( I honestly really like Ibanez guitars now but used to hate them and thought they sounded lifeless. You can get a lot of different tones with the 5 way pickup selector and I really like the 4th position neck pickup in parallel mode. I had to re-learn how to use vibrato bc the Ibanez guitars are so light that the entire body moves along with my open hand wide vibrato technique and the reason I thought they sounded lifeless bc I couldn't get a wide vibrato. Heavier guitars stay put when I'd vibrato, so now I have to hold my thumb on top of the neck and only move the strings.

Here's a list of items that have really helped with my recovery. The Saunders Cervical Traction Device has helped the most and I bought a $5 Yoga mat to lay on when I use it. I use it at least once a day, especially if I start feeling pain and after 10 minutes set to 20lbs, I get all feeling back in my arms and legs and can start rockin out with my guitars and Axe-Fx out!

1. OTC Cervical Traction Kit, Neck Pain Relief, Vertebrae Disk Herniation, Complete Over Door Setup: Amazon product ASIN B000JNLT0I## This is cheaper and helps if you can't afford a Saunders Cervical Traction Device

2. Saunders Cervical Traction Device With Carrying Case: Amazon product ASIN B07XSTL6W3
3. urge medical Clever Cane with LED Light,Travel Adjustable Folding Walking Canes, Security Alarm, Two Cushion Handles: Amazon product ASIN B07LBJLL2S
4. Purple Hybrid 2" Mattress: https://purple.com/mattresses/hybrid

5. The Purple Pillow: https://purple.com/pillows/purple-pillow

I also had to do this and use Ernie Ball 2222 Nickel Hybrid Slinky Orange Electric Guitar Strings. If you decide to try these strings make sure you get the 2222 because there's another orange pack 2215 that has 10's on top and 11's on bottom. I accidently bought the 2215 once and really thought my guitar days were coming to an end until I realized my mistake haha.

You'll be amazed how much using less fretting pressure improves your playing and sound. It reduces fret buzz and intonation issues because the notes don't go sharp from fretting too hard.

Getting old sucks! :mad:

I don't really know if the science backs it up, but have your tried cryotherapy?

I used to do cryo for recovery. Unfortunately i don't know if it was just placebo

Back
Top Bottom