OS x Yosemite

Sixstring

Legend!
Has anyone installed this yet? I'm still running ML and I am not too computer savvy with all the little things that need to be done when it comes to upping to the next version of OS in a computer. My machine is 7 years old so I'm limited to 4 gigs of ram, plenty of HDD though.

Yes. I'm running it on a 7-year old 2007 iMac and it's running mostly fine. The UI changes are suspect and having my phone ring through my monitors when I'm tracking is not cool.

That doesn't sound like fun... Other then that do you think it would be a good idea to do the update or hold off?

Yes. I'm running it on a 7-year old 2007 iMac and it's running mostly fine. The UI changes are suspect and having my phone ring through my monitors when I'm tracking is not cool.

By the way Ian, thanks for the recommendation on the Red drive upgrade it's working like a charm ;)

I have a 3-4 year old MBPro, and its running fine, the only issue I've been noticing is that when I have a logitech mouse/ keyboard usb received plugged into a usb hub that is attached to the macbook, it messes up the keyboard on the mac... so I just don't use the logitech wireless device :p

Otherwise works well on my machine, hard to say how it will fare on older machines.

That doesn't sound like fun... Other then that do you think it would be a good idea to do the update or hold off?

Unless there's some specific Yosemite feature you need, I'd wait one more release. I'd wait one more releases ESPECIALLY if you use a MacBook or MBPro on corporate wifi networks -- there's a bug in the wifi stuff in Yosemite that causes very frequent drops when you're on some corporate wifi gear. We have the problem here at our office at Square and as a result are staying on 10.9 until Apple and our wifi hardware vendor can sort it out.

The handoff stuff won't impress you much on older hardware. It's fairly useless on my mid-07 iMac. The BT chips in the older hardware don't allow for full handoff feature support.

As always, if you do decide to upgrade, I *highly* recommend using something like CarbonCopyCloner to make a complete, bootable, copy of your 10.9 drive to an external drive before you upgrade. This will let you get back to 10.9 quickly and easily if you decide Yosemite isn't for you.

Also make sure your Time Machine back up is fresh.

Also, if you think you might downgrade to 10.9, don't upgrade your iCloud account to an iCloud Drive account (it'll ask you when you first log in to Yosemite if you want to do this). 10.9 doesn't support iCloud Drive and once you've converted, you can't go back.

I'm using Yosemite on a late 2007 iMac with no known issues. I had text messages start showing up on my iMac but just changed some settings. I did lose a driver to my old audio interface that was discontinued. Reckon' 15 years service life was long enough...lol.

Well, I went ahead and backed up my drive and went for it. Not using a MBP I mainly surf the net and listen to music and store pic's and vids.

Unless there's some specific Yosemite feature you need, I'd wait one more release. I'd wait one more releases ESPECIALLY if you use a MacBook or MBPro on corporate wifi networks -- there's a bug in the wifi stuff in Yosemite that causes very frequent drops when you're on some corporate wifi gear. We have the problem here at our office at Square and as a result are staying on 10.9 until Apple and our wifi hardware vendor can sort it out.

The handoff stuff won't impress you much on older hardware. It's fairly useless on my mid-07 iMac. The BT chips in the older hardware don't allow for full handoff feature support.

As always, if you do decide to upgrade, I *highly* recommend using something like CarbonCopyCloner to make a complete, bootable, copy of your 10.9 drive to an external drive before you upgrade. This will let you get back to 10.9 quickly and easily if you decide Yosemite isn't for you.

Also make sure your Time Machine back up is fresh.

Also, if you think you might downgrade to 10.9, don't upgrade your iCloud account to an iCloud Drive account (it'll ask you when you first log in to Yosemite if you want to do this). 10.9 doesn't support iCloud Drive and once you've converted, you can't go back.

Yea, I would definitely do the same and wait for another release. If you go look at the reviews for Yosemite, go to the last page to get the most recent reviews. They are still horrible reviews. If you need something specific to Yosemite 10.10.1 then more power to ya. Good luck.

So far I haven't had any problems aside from an issue with Aperture which was resolved in an up date. Other than the Cartoonish icons I haven't noticed any other issues but then again as I posted earlier I'm not using my machine for very much.

I've been running it on a late 2013 Macbook Pro since release. No significant problems with Pro Tools, Logic, Axe Edit. There's a graphics bug in the the UAD console program, but it doesn't affect the sound at all. I actually like this update as far as the changes I've noticed.

no issues whatsoever, running on a late 2010/2011 MB Pro.

(also, if you don't want to get calls on your comp, just turn the feature off, lol)

I had a 2005 MBP that would not take any more OS upgrades. I found a guy on eBay that would bundle a souped-up Mac Mini and a Time Capsule with Yosemite. It has 2 solid-state drives, 16 gigs ram, etc. and man, does it fly. Boots fully up in less than 10 secs, apps open in 2-3 secs. He threw in a bunch of software. All of it costs about the same as a new Axe-fx, so there's that. I just did a computer-to-computer connection to get my old files over, no problems. I'm getting used to Yosemite, it's not terribly different. But I did not go through an upgrade so I can't address that. The Mini is inconvenient for having to keep it in one place, but so small that you can take it with you easily, you just have to figure out the monitor situation.

I had my 2014 MacBook Pro 13", for like a week when the official Yosemite came out. There wasn't anything that wasn't already backed up on it yet, so I updated instantly. Not a single problem at all. In fact boot-up, and shut down speeds got crazy fast, WAY faster than they were with Mavericks. I didn't really have it long enough with Mavericks to do anything significant. At most, I did some Axe-Edit, a backup with Fractal-Bot, and transferred some Reaper Files over from my old 2007 mac, so I don't know how it compares to that. But it makes my late2007 13" MacBook look even older than I realized. It's quite nice to not have a half a second of latency when recording into Reaper. lol

We are also finding the same wifi issues with Yosemite on our corporate wifi network (Cisco 1142/3702 AP's and Flex7510 wireless controller); dropping connections, slow throughput, and extremely reduced RSSI levels on many MacBook clients. As well, many users are saying they are only getting an hour or so of battery life after a Yosemite upgrade and all sorts of various issues (no sound, etc.). Our official policy is to stay at 10.9.5 until 10.10.x issues get sorted out.

We are also finding the same wifi issues with Yosemite on our corporate wifi network (Cisco 1142/3702 AP's and Flex7510 wireless controller); dropping connections, slow throughput, and extremely reduced RSSI levels on many MacBook clients. As well, many users are saying they are only getting an hour or so of battery life after a Yosemite upgrade and all sorts of various issues (no sound, etc.). Our official policy is to stay at 10.9.5 until 10.10.x issues get sorted out.

Yup. Hasn't been fixed with 10.10.1 either. Still can't move to Yosemite on the work MBPros. WiFi is fine on my home router with my iMac and all accounts I've read seem to indicate it's a MBPro + business-grade WiFi issue. The 10.10.2 beta is supposed to address it but I haven't had a second to try it yet.

no issues whatsoever, running on a late 2010/2011 MB Pro.

(also, if you don't want to get calls on your comp, just turn the feature off, lol)

Can't remember how to disengage the feature - do you mind posting the steps? Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom