Original Metal Tune w/ Vox (Patches Included!)

brycegoertzen

Experienced
This is a song I wrote called "Drag Me Through the Rain."

I am going USB direct
DAW is Logic Express 9
Guitar is a Schecter Jeff Loomis model
EMG 707 pickups (neck+bridge)
Axe Fx 2 used for all guitar and bass tones (of course).
Patches for opening clean tone and distorted rhythm guitar are below.

p.s. I panned 2 rhythm guitars 100%View attachment 16172 left and 100% right in the recording.

Thanks for checking it out, my sincerest thanks.

Attachments

• 004.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 33
  • p001069_Rain CLean.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 32
The melody in the beginning is fresh and great! Great clip! the growling vocal is awesome. so deep and demonlike! the clean vocal could need some de-esser or pop-filter or something. I hrea mostly SsssSss'es and not so much from the words on the clean vocal clips.

Again. woah, this is a great song. that melody sticks to my brain like.. something really goodsticking! <3

Great stuff. Not the type of music I usually listen to but I really see the amount of work you've put in. I Love the Solo at the end too!

PS: (I've just modded my own Schecter Loomis to the "EMG 18V modification" and I think the added headroom is a big improvement, you might like to try it too).

The melody in the beginning is fresh and great! Great clip! the growling vocal is awesome. so deep and demonlike! the clean vocal could need some de-esser or pop-filter or something. I hrea mostly SsssSss'es and not so much from the words on the clean vocal clips.

Again. woah, this is a great song. that melody sticks to my brain like.. something really goodsticking! <3

Thanks for pointing that out. I have a long way to go in mixing haha. Cheers!

I was sitting there thinking "wtf is metal about this?"

Yeah, I was put in my place pretty quickly. :)

But the mix is not doing this song any justice at all. Good news is that can be fixed. :encouragement:

I was sitting there thinking "wtf is metal about this?"

Yeah, I was put in my place pretty quickly. :)

But the mix is not doing this song any justice at all. Good news is that can be fixed. :encouragement:

NO justice? thats a bit harsh...please if I ever dare put something even remotely decent on here dont critique me...:)

I think the mix is pretty good. I liked how it doesn't subscribe to the "must bash your ears with the brootalz" style of super guitar heavy mixes. In points the guitars are almost restrained giving it dynamic depth instead of the all too familiar brick wall limited sound.

In terms of EQ, the very bottom end of the guitars jumps out... there's something in the palm muted parts down at 100hz give or take that I would look at if I were mixing. Otherwise it seems balanced and generally well mixed for what it is... I'm assuming Bryce did all the mixing as well? And most musos can't pull a mix this good. I've waded through 1000's of unsigned acts on youtube and soundcloud that are recording and mixing their own material and this is better than 97% of it :)

I think the mix is pretty good. I liked how it doesn't subscribe to the "must bash your ears with the brootalz" style of super guitar heavy mixes. In points the guitars are almost restrained giving it dynamic depth instead of the all too familiar brick wall limited sound.

In terms of EQ, the very bottom end of the guitars jumps out... there's something in the palm muted parts down at 100hz give or take that I would look at if I were mixing. Otherwise it seems balanced and generally well mixed for what it is... I'm assuming Bryce did all the mixing as well? And most musos can't pull a mix this good. I've waded through 1000's of unsigned acts on youtube and soundcloud that are recording and mixing their own material and this is better than 97% of it :)

Thanks for the helpful critique. I definitely need to refine my skills in mixing and it really helps when others tell you what they hear. I Appreciate that!

Back
Top Bottom